1st Cache

RabidRabit

I wonder how many 'me too's we can get in this thread. Today was my first time out and my first find. The one I chose was very close to home and turned out to be fairly easy, but it was amusing. I prodded around nearly in thistles trying to find what turned out to be a microcache.

Anyhow, I look forward to the next one for sure.

Welcome all of you to the sport/hobby/obsession. You are now in our power. You will never again be able to pass a local park without saying, "There's a geocache right over there." You go to Walmart just to look at containers, and the dollar store will see a marked increase in sales. While you may have just started with a GPS, soon you will find out about all the other cool stuff you "need" to cache. I won't say what, it'll be a surprise. Again welcome, and be sure to look for a local caching organization in your area.

Ha Ha! Now we've got you.

In the upcoming months, or maybe even weeks, you will notice a general decline in the care and upkeep of your home and vehicle as you spend more and more time hunting caches.

Your job will be in jeopardy as you show up late for work after morning geocaching. You will return late from lunchtime geocaching. You will skip out of work early for evening geocaching. And you will start running out of excuses for taking sick days off in pursuit of this addiction. And on those few days when you put in a full day's work, you will be half asleep from attempting midnight FTFs. (You'll learn what that means soon enough!)

Your social life will vanish. Your friends will wonder what has become of you. Loved ones will become increasingly concerned as you speak of FTFs, TNLNSL, TFTC, Latitude, Longitde, Pocket Queries, and other giberish. They will wonder about all this talk of "geodes" and "cash" in the woods.

Your family budget will be upset by the creasing funds spent on gas. The local oil change will wonder why you see them once a month.

Your car will begin to look like a teenager's room. It will be littered with wet and muddy clothing. There will be small toys strewn throughout the vehicle.

And soon, you will no longer restrict your searches to daylight hours. Armed with flashlights, and later headlamps, you will set out in the dark. You will also become well known to local law enforcement who keep running into you on their night shifts.

And, then it gets worse as the addiction sets in.

Until...

Until...

You seek to recruit others!

And so it goes.

(note: The above statements were watered down considerably so as to not ward off new geocachers. Wait 'till you've logged your first 100 caches. Only THEN will you understand!)

I'm still fairly new :anitongue: Did lots of reading before I got my GPSr and first day out was Labour Day. I now have 16 finds in 2 states and my sights set on one in Mexico IF I make it there in February :anitongue:

Definitely addictive! And it gets us all OUTSIDE and doing something... gotta love it!

Jenn

I'm an avid hiker and had never even heard of it until this past Friday night when I was reading the book for my handheld GPS. Went out in search of the first cache yesterday while on a 7 mile hike. This just adds another exiting dimension to our hikes. Can't wait to go for the next. Probably go to bed after the ball drops and up early to hunt for the next! I'm hooked and now completely focused on the next!! :anibad: