Bugs/Coins - Accurate Placement

JustAlan

Recently I have made second visits to caches I have found previously, in order to discover/collect geocoins I have not seen previously (yes I know that makes me an icon collector, but bear with me). In three caches I went to recently which should have had specific coins in, two had the wrong coin in, and one had no coin at all. I mentioned this in the logs without mentioning the cacher responsible for these three drops (not a cacher I have seen on these forums, though I could be mistaken) in order to stop other icon collectors wasting their time looking for them.

I have now had an e-mail from the cacher(s), saying "i couldnt remember which i put where by the time i got onto the computer so made an poorly educated guess.lol". Is it just me, or should we all be accurate when placing bugs/coins in caches. I know we all make the occasional mistake, but I was a bit miffed.

Perhaps I'm becoming a Grumpy Old Man. ;)

Recently I have made second visits to caches I have found previously, in order to discover/collect geocoins I have not seen previously (yes I know that makes me an icon collector, but bear with me). In three caches I went to recently which should have had specific coins in, two had the wrong coin in, and one had no coin at all. I mentioned this in the logs without mentioning the cacher responsible for these three drops (not a cacher I have seen on these forums, though I could be mistaken) in order to stop other icon collectors wasting their time looking for them.

I have now had an e-mail from the cacher(s), saying "i couldnt remember which i put where by the time i got onto the computer so made an poorly educated guess.lol". Is it just me, or should we all be accurate when placing bugs/coins in caches. I know we all make the occasional mistake, but I was a bit miffed.

Perhaps I'm becoming a Grumpy Old Man. :D

There are two caches near me that are showing coins long since removed (mentioned in the log book and obliquely in th on line log) as taken by 'relatively' new cachers who have failed to grasp the importance of actually logging trackables. One has gone awol from one of my caches and I emailed the person who logged it in the book explaining, I have had no reply and the poor bug is still showing im my cache although it is long gone and I suspect placed somewhere else as a swap.

Best laid plans of mice & men etc. ;)

I agree.....

It only takes a moment to photograph or note down the location on a bit of scrap paper - and if you don't have any paper handy, I'm sure most cache owners wouldn't begrudge you taking a sheaf from the back of the log book to note it down on! ;)

More than anything I think it's important that the TB owner is kept aware of where their bug is - afterall, there is little point to them if you can't follow their journey properly.

I too have placed the wrong coin in the wrong cache...

It's very easy when you have a handful of coins and TB's and are doing a wedge of caches, it's raining, we're all getting tired... it happens.

In my honest opinion, its something we should just live with - there are MUCH worse things that can happen in life!!

I have lost a few of my TB's to this kind of error and it's really annoying. Why can't people take the time to log things correctly. If I place a coin or TB into a cache I always note it together with the tracking number on a scrap of paper to make sure it's always logged correctly when I get home.

Very easy to make these remarks in hindsight but I have fallen foul of placing the wrong TB/Coin in a cache on two occasions. It happens.

On realising what I had done I left a note in the caches it was and should have been, explaining my mistake. That's exactly what it was - a mistake. We all make them.

The difference being after you realised your mistake you did something about it. That doesn't always happen and mistakes are often ignored.

None of us is perfect. But if someone told me I'd messed up, or if I realised it myself, I would attempt to rectify things even all I could manage was an email to the TB owner to explain.

Yes, it is annoying when TBs aren't where they're supposed to be. The website makes it difficult enough to log TBs without the added complication of sorting out other people's inaccurate logging. And this problem does seem to be getting worse. I've been considering ceasing to pick up TBs because of the time it takes to sort things out.

Just now we have a TB which the website says is in a different cache from the one we picked it up from. We put a note on its page to see if anyone logs it correctly, but it looks like we'll be sorting that one out too.

If a TB isn't in the cache then the cache owner and the TB owner both have the option of moving the TB to an unknown location. This at least prevents collectors from making abortive trips.

I have lost a few of my TB's to this kind of error and it's really annoying. Why can't people take the time to log things correctly. If I place a coin or TB into a cache I always note it together with the tracking number on a scrap of paper to make sure it's always logged correctly when I get home.

there are MUCH worse things that can happen in life!!

Bad analogy, the topic is about what happens in caching, not life in general. :anitongue:

Okay: "there are MUCH worse things that can happen in caching!!

:anitongue:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm afraid I agree, coins and TBs should be logged correctly, its not rocket science, you put a coin/tb in a cache, write it down. Also I think you should log your caches as soon as possible after finding them and not wait months, this gives other cachers thinking of doing them an idea that they are/or should be, still there for one reason. And before someone says it, I know we all play the game how we want.

I'm afraid I agree, coins and TBs should be logged correctly, its not rocket science, you put a coin/tb in a cache, write it down. Also I think you should log your caches as soon as possible after finding them and not wait months, this gives other cachers thinking of doing them an idea that they are/or should be, still there for one reason. And before someone says it, I know we all play the game how we want.

Yes i agree Coins and TBs should be logged correctly, I'm merely saying that if they're not it's not the end of the world.... as long as they're in a cache and moving, does it really matter which cache?