Keep GPS V or upgrade?

I have owned my GPS V since it came on the mnarket and realy love this unit. I wanted to down load a new European map and saw that my unit was out dated, and was also wondering if there is still softwear compatabilty? Thanks for any help.

I have been using a V for five years, and I too love the unit.

But I upgraded to the 60Csx this summer and I have to say, upgrade!

Don't expect the accuracy to improve significantly, but route calculation is WAY faster and more reliable (I'm still using my old CitySelect maps v4 from 2001?). I can download 60MB of maps in ten minutes or so versus the hour for 19MB on the V. The unit holds signal everywhere.

I still use my V for kyaking, but for just about everything else, I prefer the 60.

I have a V and have never seen a GPS worth upgrading too. They just won't bite the bullet and come out with the GPS VI which is what I want.

The 60Cx and 76Cx are tempting but not quite there.

If you have to have the latest maps and those maps won't work on your V and you don't want to try and find an older version on the net...maybe your time has come.

I think the software would still be compatible, but pay attention to the size of the map segments. Your V only has 19 megs of map storage. Some Garmin map software uses larger map segments and that can be a problem with only 19 megs of map memory. You might finding yourself having to load in areas you aren't interested in and unable to fit areas you need.

The V was a great unit in its day, but its day is long gone. The newer units have much more map memory (well only limited by the size of the memory card you use), get better reception, calculate routes faster and are easier to read with the color displays.

I upgraded from a V to the 60csx. I love it

Advantages:

enough memory to hold all the maps you need for a whole route

pick up sats INSIDE

Fast reroute calculations that are actually ready before the next turn (no way on the V)

Finding POI's is actually usable (allows search on parts of names) This still sucks, just not as bad.

USB connectivity so maps can upload fast if you ever need to upload new maps which you wont since you will have a 1 or 2 gig card installed.

Last's longer on only two AA batteries.

I'll add more if I can think of other stuff............

Disadvantages:

You loose the "add via" feature with the 60csx....(crazy ommision IMO)

You loose the reorienting screen.

Dont get the "S" model if you hope to use your gps in pressurized airplanes.

I have owned my GPS V since it came on the mnarket and realy love this unit. I wanted to down load a new European map and saw that my unit was out dated, and was also wondering if there is still softwear compatabilty? Thanks for any help.

One Garmin limitation (and a goofy one) is that you can only select so many map segments to load into the GPS. After you hit that max you can't load more.

yeah, but its a LOT. You really won't hit the limit unless you're trying to load the whole US.

The GPS V limitation of 19MB of maps is reason enough to upgrade (not to mention that it takes 1 hour to load the 19MB on the serial line, and much less to load the entire US City Select via the USB on the 60csx). RK, I think you're being a little disingenuous in your earlier post :o The form-factor of the V is tough to give up though!

RK, I think you're being a little disingenuous in your earlier post tongue.gif The form-factor of the V is tough to give up though!

I don't know that he's being disingenuous, but he does sound a lot like my grandfather did when he was driving his 30 year old 65 Buick around and insisting it was better than "todays cars", or my brother who still sees no need to upgrade from Windows 95.

One Garmin limitation (and a goofy one) is that you can only select so many map segments to load into the GPS. After you hit that max you can't load more.

yeah, but its a LOT. You really won't hit the limit unless you're trying to load the whole US.

The GPS V limitation of 19MB of maps is reason enough to upgrade (not to mention that it takes 1 hour to load the 19MB on the serial line, and much less to load the entire US City Select via the USB on the 60csx). RK, I think you're being a little disingenuous in your earlier post :o The form-factor of the V is tough to give up though!

Ok, Now you have done it. I'm going to have to pull out the dictionary and look up disingenouse.

Edit: Looked it up. Yes it would be nice to have color, more memory, and faster processor. I would hate to give up the forum factor. Alas, the nice has not yet passed the cost of the upgrade. I keep waiting for the VI that I'm not even hearing rumors about.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I have decided to upgrade to the 60csx, but not untill I get my tax return. The time it takes to upload maps and all the other fetures are a geat plus. Thanks for the info and a new word for me to use (disingenuous). By the way, I still own a 12 year old truck and just cant let myself upgrade to new one because it still work great. Wild Bill

I'm still using an old Digitraveler in the truck, and a b/w Legend on the ground. I see no need to upgrade. The Digitraveler works fine, and I have maps for the entire US on one SD card for Mapopolis. For very little more than the price of a 60csx, if any, I have a faster and more versatile system, including the price of my Palm, which I use every day for all sorts of stuff. A 400MHz processor and large color screen aren't coming to reasonably-priced GPSrs anytime soon. YMMV, and my system may not work for anyone else.

Unfortunately, my favorite thing about my V is the software and how flexible and "customizeable" the unit is. A IV would have software similar to the 60/76 series. I would want more than just the case.

I now have 6 GPSr units but for day to day autorouting in an environment where theft is a consideration, the V is on the dash most of the time. However, it does appear to be slowing down.

My 2 cents.