Garmin Geocaching mode

evelbug

I've seen a couple other threads on the 60csx and other units where people said they'd like to see an improved geocaching mode. I was curious as to what features people wanted to see. Here's a list of some things I'd like to see:

1) Multiple cache icons. I use different icons for multis and micros, so I'd like to be able to include them in the geocaching mode. How about having a user selectable number of cache types? (up to five seems reasonable to me).

2) Hint data field. Something seperate from the note field. Having the ability to recode ROT13 would be a plus

3) When you select found, have it display the time and date. I can never remember the date when I'm filling out a cache log.

4) Add the geocache mode to the Quest line.

5) After you found it, have an option to display the nearest caches, rather than just go to next closest. I don't always want to go to the nearest one. (From ThePropers)

6) GPX Vewing Utility (From TeamHarrison)

7) Additional data fields (From Geobc)

Feel free to add to my list. Maybe if Garmin has people that monitor these boards or if we pester them enough, they can get some of these added.

Bug

Edited by evelbug

"3) When you select found, have it display the time and date. I can never remember the date when I'm filling out a cache log."

When you select found it makes an automatic entry in your units calander page!

We use a seperate Palm PDA. ROT13 conversion, brail convertor, morse code, and add more deciphering help files as we come across them!

Good topic!

ImpalaBob :)

You might be interested in this thread.

It will at least get the symbols on the unit for you and have them assigned to each cache, but you do lose a bit of the geocaching mode functions. But I use this system (since I created it of course) and it works well for me.

As for what I would like to see other than what you've mentioned, would be after you found it, to have an option to display the nearest caches, rather than just go to next closest. I don't always want to go to the nearest one.

Edited by ThePropers
"3) When you select found, have it display the time and date. I can never remember the date when I'm filling out a cache log."

We use a seperate Palm PDA. ROT13 conversion, brail convertor, morse code, and add more deciphering help files as we come across them!

Good topic!

If I need to look up the time/date now, I'll go to the menu where it's on the bottom of the screen. I'm just saying it'd be nice if it would display it on the screen. I also use a palm, so the hint section isn't high on my priority list.

ThePropersPosted Today, 05:54 AM You might be interested in this thread.

It will at least get the symbols on the unit for you and have them assigned to each cache. I use this system and it works well for me.

As for what I would like to see other than what you've mentioned, would be after you found it, to have an option to display the nearest caches, rather than just go to next closest. I don't always want to go to the nearest one.

I have that thread bookmakerd and it's come in very handy. Thank you for the work you put into it. Works great on both the 60CSx and Quest2.

I'll add your suggestion to the list.

Edited by evelbug

I don't have a request specific to the actual "Geocaching Mode" on the Garmins, but if you're asking for general requests to make Geocaching easier, I do have one.

I think Garmin would completely decimate the competition by adding a .gpx viewer and manipulation program as a "utility". It would be an add-on program just like the sunrise/sunset info or the games. Something modelled after Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) would rule in my book. The utility would read any .gpx (Pocket Query) you load onto the microSD card. With the cost and availability of HUGE microSD cards, it would be easy.

One of the key inconveniences for me right now is seeing a cache pop up on my GPSr and having to pull out my PocketPC/Palm to read about it from a downloaded .gpx (Pocket Query). Yes, I know there are PocketPC/Palm GPSr units, but I've yet to read about one that's hardened enough for field use.

So, eliminate the need for two devices that many of us choose to play with and I think you'll have an awesome device. Imagine the trusty old GPSMAP 60 or 76CSx with this?!?!!!!

Good topic!

I've seen mycaches listed on the calendar page on the DATES found, but does it store the TIME somewhere as well?

5) After you found it, have an option to display the nearest caches, rather than just go to next closest. I

The units already have this capability. Just click quit.. Then click find... geocaches... nearest...

takes me about 10 seconds to do this.

However a real geocaching mode would be nice. The question is, is it worth it to Garmin and others to do this when nearly all their profits aren't in handheld GPS units but car based navigation systems?

5) After you found it, have an option to display the nearest caches, rather than just go to next closest. I

The units already have this capability. Just click quit.. Then click find... geocaches... nearest...

takes me about 10 seconds to do this.

However a real geocaching mode would be nice. The question is, is it worth it to Garmin and others to do this when nearly all their profits aren't in handheld GPS units but car based navigation systems?

Yes, but that's not quite the same as being included in the geocaching mode, which was what I was referring to.

There's alot to be said about brand loyality. As car navigation becomes more popular and friends and family are looking to get car navigation units, they will seek out the advice of people who use GPS. If you've talked about caching to them, then you'll most likely be asked for advice. If there's a company who's done well by you as a cacher, then you'll be likely to recomand that company.

show different icon when they are multicaches, i have many caches downloaded on my gps, and sometimes i spend time looking for a multi not knowing it's a multi. When caches sho up nearby, i'll look for them. now if when they download, they would show a multicache icon, then I would know that it is. Lately, I just don't download multi's unless I've read up on it and gonna go out specifically for it.

show different icon when they are multicaches, i have many caches downloaded on my gps, and sometimes i spend time looking for a multi not knowing it's a multi. When caches sho up nearby, i'll look for them. now if when they download, they would show a multicache icon, then I would know that it is. Lately, I just don't download multi's unless I've read up on it and gonna go out specifically for it.

If you go to the link in ThePropers post listed above, it'll step you through using different icons for multi's using GSAK.

yes I see it, i have been playing with it, thanks. It would be nice if you didn't have to do it manually though, cause now I have to go to all the multi's and change them.

Not quite sure what you mean there...it's an automated process once you set it up the first time, and you shouldn't have to go each multi and change them. PM me if you're confused.