Whats needed really...

canpaddle

Hey there folks Im not new its just that I haven't posted in a while. Anyway my question is downloading

waypoints into my Legend. Are these extra programs needed, like GeoBuddy, and/or EasyGps?

They offer free for a short time then what. I've been using pen and paper for the past year to enter

coordinates needed to locate caches(68) so far I think. It is confusing at times I will admit and time consuming and really unorganized at times also.

So I upgraded to premium and thought "download waypoints... cool". These other programs seem complicated and difficult to download. I already use the map source TOPO and that suites me just fine, but now I can download the waypoints. But I need these other programs that are expensive, confusing, and roughly the same as I already can do. So as a Premium Member do I still have to purchase more programs just so I can download waypoints?

Id like to know what others think that know more about this topic than I do. :huh:

MapSource comes with your unit and can download your waypoints from your computer if they're stored in GPX format. They can be if you're premium. EasyGPS is free and can be downloaded with a link from the geocaching website; it's probably the simpler program of the two to use for the singular purpose of managing geocaching waypoints. I use both, depending on what I'm doing.

I paid $30 to Groundspeak and haven't bought anything else yet. GSAK is a great program, and worth $20. Clyde ought to be proud, that nag screen annoys the heck out of me, I'll pay him someday. :huh:

You don't NEED to buy anything extra, the free versions of available programs are plenty. GSAK will work for free, and is pretty cheap if you do want to go ahead and buy it. I haven't used GeoBuddy, but I think it's a bit to expensive. EasyGPS is totally free, and works great.

Edited by Airmapper

I will echo the thoughts on GSAK it is a great program, and as said before well worth the 20 bucks. I use it to load waypoints to my Magellan among many other things.

Also Clyde is always updating, improving and adding new thing to GSAK al the time.

Jim

Kc8bdr

I'm an EasyGPS user. It is free and ... easy. :huh:

I could not do pen and paper. I travel a fair amount and upload and delete waypoints all the time. I use GPX Spinner to change the icons so I can only delete the types of waypoints I want to get rid of. Ones I keep all the time stay in the GPS that way. This morning I will remove waypoints from the last city I was in and will put back waypoints for my home again.

So I upgraded to premium and thought "download waypoints... cool". These other programs seem complicated and difficult to download. I already use the map source TOPO and that suites me just fine, but now I can download the waypoints. But I need these other programs that are expensive, confusing, and roughly the same as I already can do. So as a Premium Member do I still have to purchase more programs just so I can download waypoints?

Id like to know what others think that know more about this topic than I do. :cry:

You need a program (and the correct cable for your gpsr) to send waypoints to the gps unit. The choice of what program you use to do it, is up to you. If you can get the one you have already to work for you, then no you don't need another one. :huh:

Easygps is the totally free way to go without putting up with any nag screens. Easy to use if you only want to get waypoints into your GPSr.

But like others, i certainly recommend GSAK. The basics are easy to figure out but once you get those down, then you can do so much more. For example,,, You said you had MapSource TOPO. Well you can export the correct file format from GSAK to use in the MapSource program. Bring up the Mapsource program on your computer, import the file, and then you can see the waypoints on the map. Not a neccesity but you can get an idea of how the caches are situated on the map and you can print it out if you just want to have it along for the ride.