The loss of a truly great contributor!

Rockin Roddy

I didn't have a problem with the way Tommy handled his bugs. They were his bugs, and his rules. I made a mistake once, and didn't appreciate the harsh response, so I chose to leave his bugs in caches when I saw them. Easy enough, no problems.

My frustration with the whole thing is the way some, including Tommy, seemed to think that Groundspeak owed him something. They didn't owe him anything more that any of the rest of us. Tommy is the one that started making waves in the coin forum, and he couldn't handle the heat when things got warm.

He chose to find other things to occupy his time, and that is his choice. I wish him well.

Nobody owed him anything.

Could you point out where Tommy started the waves??? All I saw was where he posted that his coins were for sale...and then the posts started. They were nice to begin with..."to much, pass" or whatever...where Tommy repied with a nice thanks for your point of view.

Somewhere in there, some started getting ugly and were STILL met with nice replies...so where did Tommy "start" the waves??

I realize I haven't been here that long, but I WAS there for the sales posts...maybe I missed something, so I'll go back and read it all again just to be sure.

If you mean that he started it by going into the forums...aren't that what these are here for?? Is there a double standard being used here that I didn't know about??? Because if that's Tommy's mistake, I'm as guilty as he...my first post was to announce our new coin!

As for the owing part...I doubt Tommy thought anyone owed him ANYTHING, but I do owe him...I owe him my respect for his being such a great contributor!! I owe him for helping me to cache in a manner that brings all that find our hides or travelers a nice letter THANKING them for doing something they likely enjoyed (which also helps to build friendship with those who one may never even meet personally, making this sport that much MORE friendly). I owe Tommy my thanks for bringing us sooo many quality TBs....I guess I owe Tommy my gratitude for making this sport what it is for ME!!

And really...the only ones that have lost are US...because we lost a TRULY GREAT CONTRIBUTOR!!! Like him, disagree with him or HATE him, that is the bottom line!!

edit for spelling...as normal!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Why not share your experiences with Tommy for us HazzMatt?? You sound like you are a fan you, must have had a good encounter??? Or did you move one of his great TBs? Share with us why YOU are such a fine supporter of this great contributor!!

Possibly YOU found one of Tommy's caches (before some JERK muggled it???) Share your experiences with Tommy, HazzMatt! Let the cache community know how well YOU appreciated Tommy's great work!!

Don't often visit this forum and was blow away to read the news about Tommy. I got as far as reading a post which siad Tommy always posted a nice response if you move on of the TBs. My experience was the same - always positive and an example to live by for the rest of us.

I only hope that this will be just a wake up call for the rest of us. There is so much jealousy and anger in this World. Like, just, give it up. Enjoy each day. Try to make life better each day for just one person if it is nothing more than they enjoyed something as simple as a TB or a cache.

Don't turn this sport into a competetive, haterid World of yuck! I just left one - that was Dog Shows. Please help us keep geocaching a fun, non-competitive, enjoyable family sport.

quote name='Rockin Roddy' date='Jan 6 2007, 11:44 AM' post='2649501']

Why not share your experiences with Tommy for us HazzMatt?? You sound like you are a fan you, must have had a good encounter??? Or did you move one of his great TBs? Share with us why YOU are such a fine supporter of this great contributor!!

Possibly YOU found one of Tommy's caches (before some JERK muggled it???) Share your experiences with Tommy, HazzMatt! Let the cache community know how well YOU appreciated Tommy's great work!!

(before some JERK muggled it???)

I'm sorry, what was all that ssstuff you posted about being polite and friendly in the forums?

I'm sorry, what was all that ssstuff you posted about being polite and friendly in the forums?

BLUE DEUCE - 7272 forum posts. 274 caches found, 8 hidden of which 5 are archived. Go caching please. The only email I ever received after finding a TB was a TT TB and he thanked me for picking it up and again when I placed it in a cache. Seems like we need a few more cachers such as him and less folks who sit around all day posting notes in forums. This will be my one and only post in this forum. Hopefully TT will find another hobby he enjoys.

What BD??? Calling a MUGGLE a jerk is being rude to others in the forums??? I doubt that any muggles who read that would have taken exception :D

I wasn't aware that calling a muggle a jerk was being rude, as well, I doubt muggles are members of this sport (or I truly HOPE they aren't) and would read this thread! Muggles have been called MUCH worse by others with far more posts than me....sorry if I offended anyone with that!!

Thank you Lostguy for your views on Tommy!! HAPPY CACHING!!! You are right about the need for more respectful and kind cachers...I try to follow Tommy's ways with writing all that visit our caches or moves our travelers. My way of bettering this sport for ME, and being friendly toward others...helps to make this sport more friendly and inviting!!

Kindly pay attention to me; then you will become deserving of great bliss.

I promise this, please give heed.

I do not speak of this out of pride, but I am entreating you out of affection in this audience of all-knowing persons to listen to me.

Since I know that I have awakened your dormant grace by my childish prattle,

I am emboldened to explain this to you;

People in this world are prone to be selfish and unsympathetic: they do not know how to love and respect one another: the argue and quarrel over trifling affairs only to their own harm and suffering and life for them becomes but a dreary round of unhappiness.

This is my story:

My first impressions of Tommy and his GC profile I thought to myself "Here's a nice man (Grandfather in stature) and someone having fun with geocaching and the adventures it brings!".

It wasn't until I found my first TT TB that I was "introduced" to the persona of Tommy (and I don't speak this to be glib or sarcastic :as some have said) Until I received an email from him that was threatening in nature: (and it's hard sometimes to understand a persons demeanor in a letter) stating that I "Only can place this TB in certain caches and not in any events" (and I paraphrase here) I thought to myself "Wow here's someone very controlling of something (IMHO) that he can not readily control" I have to admit I was surprised and miffed, to say the least and thought nothing of it again for many years until I started doing events and people would bring their TT TB's and drop them off in the TB bin without even logging them. I suppose because of the fear of placing them in the "wrong caches" I do not know of anyone's intent.

So as a benefit to Tommy I simply took all his TB's and logged them in to one of my caches or the actual event ( I can't remember it was long ago) That I found them at my event and will be dropping them off when possible. Again I was barraged by emails of an angry tone to move his bugs along.

So without causing any further discomfort to Tommy Trojan: I drooped them into my own caches locally: and in a series of unfortunate events caches where muggled or stolen causing Tommy to have great suspicion of myself (understandably too)

Up until just recently I was mildly un~amused hearing stories from other cachers that recived the same treatment from him..but again just hearsay

Until I read he was quitting/leaving Geocaching! After much reflection and thought I viewed his actions as nothing more then a proud Father looking after his flock ensuring that his investment and/or efforts are tended to, I have to admit I was saddened...so say the least

Hindsight has this effect...

How is it that someone can devote that much time to something he obviously enjoyed just simply give it up? This was more of less his life's passion a hobby for him to enjoy!

I can only hope, that things that I have said about this man (in all parody )have not lead to his "retirement" in Geocaching or in any part of it.

Geocaching has opened new horizons for me in my life and with as with anything within moderation hope to enjoy it for many years to come. I have meet new friends and have been to places I would have never been ...and I am grateful for this.

So Tommy if you are reading this, I hope you reconsider and find within your heart to forgive me for anything I may have wrote or said about you!

God's knows, we need more "goodwill Geo~Ambassadors" like yourself spreading the mission of Giving & Sharing.

Peace be to you,

Matthew Allen aka HaZzMaTt

BLUE DEUCE - 7272 forum posts. 274 caches found, 8 hidden of which 5 are archived. Go caching please. The only email I ever received after finding a TB was a TT TB and he thanked me for picking it up and again when I placed it in a cache. Seems like we need a few more cachers such as him and less folks who sit around all day posting notes in forums. This will be my one and only post in this forum. Hopefully TT will find another hobby he enjoys.

I did. Found four. Ran into three other cachers and had a great time.

Meanwhile back in the mosh pit.....