Looking for Garmin II, III, V parts

byrdog

Bought a III Pilot on Ebay paying the going rate, unfortunately, did not double check the guys rating.

When I went to change the batteries, found lots of corrosion and creative engineering used to hold the batteries in place.

I am looking for the back cover, in good shape for a II, II+, III, III+ or V IN GOOD SHAPE.

I need an old unit with a good battery compartment, the unit does not need to work, and the screen may be broken.

I need the left part in the picture.

100_1975.jpg

Even if you do not have the part I am looking for, let me know where you might look for one.

Thank you.

Bought a III Pilot on Ebay paying the going rate, unfortunately, did not double check the guys rating.

When I went to change the batteries, found lots of corrosion and creative engineering used to hold the batteries in place.

I am looking for the back cover, in good shape for a II, II+, III, III+ or V IN GOOD SHAPE.

I need an old unit with a good battery compartment, the unit does not need to work, and the screen may be broken.

I need the left part in the picture.

Even if you do not have the part I am looking for, let me know where you might look for one.

Thank you.

Have you considered returning it? Assuming it didn't state in the description that the item was damaged, you can pursue a refund/return. If the newbie seller doesn't cooperate, eBay will help out.

Called Garmin, they want a flat $150 for a rebuilt one.

Too late to go through Ebay, I try to find the auction and it has already dropped off the "completed items" list.

The guy I bought it from was VERY hard to communicate with. (Now I know why).

Mad as I am, I am inclined to go the repair from Garmin route if I cannot find a good back from a similar unit. I already missed one flight in a relatives Mooney using his steam powered Garmin with no map.

On the plus side, I found that this thing has a 286 for a processor and responds lightning fast as you use it.

Thanks

Depending on the situation, you should be able to solder leads to the battery contacts and have an external battery pack (perhaps a battery pack from Radio Shack - The Source). Some creative engineering should get this unit back in operation.

I used it last night in my car on external power so I know it works. And I can see how I could attach leads for an external battery pack, I may come to that conclusion if I can not find a working back half of a unit.

I am concerned about reliability in a flying environment, I want the unit to work properly while being vibrated and in a confined space. My luck usually runs to having wires break or pull out at the wrong time.

Interesting to see how thin the unit actually is without the battery or connections, only about 1/2 inch thick.

Thanks

Interesting. I've had a GIII since 1999. Several years ago, I went to change the batteries and found lots of corrosion... requiring creative engineering to hold the batteries in place. I ended up making battery contact coils out of paperclips, which has proven to be the most robust solution so far. It is now relatively impact resistant (bailing wire failed to be springy enough to keep the batteries touching during impacts).

Not a helpful response, maybe, but I'm in the same boat as you. Realize that you can use the serial/power plug on the back to hook to 11-32VDC (e.g. a 12V lantern battery) as an external power supply.

Edited by Squidi

Interesting. I've had a GIII since 1999. Several years ago, I went to change the batteries and found lots of corrosion... requiring creative engineering to hold the batteries in place. I ended up making battery contact coils out of paperclips, which has proven to be the most robust solution so far. It is now relatively impact resistant (bailing wire failed to be springy enough to keep the batteries touching during impacts).

Not a helpful response, maybe, but I'm in the same boat as you. Realize that you can use the serial/power plug on the back to hook to 11-32VDC (e.g. a 12V lantern battery) as an external power supply.

I am interested in how you made coils out of paper clips, that is exactly what is missing on one side on mine. My coil on the bottom is missing and I am lost as to replace it.

Assuming it was your bottom contact, how did you access the bottom of the compartment?

Thanks

Hmmmm.... I wouldn't let this guy on eBay get away with this. You should send an email to eBay outlining the situation, asking for a resolution. EBay won't tolerate dishonest members who try and pull a fast one. If you don't know the listing number, just check your own history file for items that you have won. Don't give up. Your letting this individual cheat you out of your money.

Hmmmm.... I wouldn't let this guy on eBay get away with this. You should send an email to eBay outlining the situation, asking for a resolution. EBay won't tolerate dishonest members who try and pull a fast one. If you don't know the listing number, just check your own history file for items that you have won. Don't give up. Your letting this individual cheat you out of your money.

I dealt with Ebay and Paypal when this guy shipped it parcel post (after his auction said priority), took almost two weeks from the close and my immediate payment to receiving it. I called Ebay worried that it wasn't coming, curious to see what the procedure was, I spoke with a lady with a distinct british accent (India I suspect) who said everything would be OK and to wait the required month.

Wasn't really happy to deal with a company with no readily available phone number and address.

BUT, I will start the process when I get home Sunday. I suppose I will start with an email to teh seller.

Thanks

You are very Fortunate i have been without a GPS for a few months now. and was quite bummed. I wanted to start Geo caching. since the other died that gave all the more reason to upgrade. I have been looking here for a few days now then i saw your request. I kid you not after reading your post i literally had to go to the trash bin to retrieve the unit, if you dont mind the smell of Chinese take out send me a message on how to get this to you. I just bought a Explorist XL and dont have a thing for it yet maybe you could send out some usefull items for a swap.

Hey byrddog just got back from the field my wife says she put this in the mail on thursday let me know when you receive it and if it will work for you. Crzy Welder

Thanks again, I'll post when it gets here, hopefully today.

I'll also post pics of the insides of both.

I am a little scared to try to solder something like this, the antenna cable has two really nice looking solders connecting it to the board. I have a friend who knows a lot about ham radios, he told me the owner of his favorite radio shop here in town will solder it for me, shouldn't cost too much.

I gotta thank you, Crzy Wldr. Got th epart today and a couple of hours worth of work and it is as good as new.

First thing I did was open up the III:

100_2000.jpg

Got lucky, I was worried that I would have to re solder the antenna lead to swap cases, turns out Garmin attaches the BNC connector with a screw/nut.

100_2001.jpg

Here is botht he III and the IIIPilot opened, notice the IIIPilot has two extra wires (Green) to a capacitor glued to the rear case. Dented the cap slightly getting it out and hte glue held the label from the cap so I cannot see how big or what kind to replace it. Hoped it would still work and moved the connectors from teh old connector to the new, real pain in the rear.

If your wondering, the chip is a 386.

100_2004.jpg

Another view of the plug and connectors:

100_2005.jpg

A little cussing and a beer later, she sits on the mail box finding herself, with batteries that don't have to be beaten out and as reliable as the day she was made (more or less)

100_2007.jpg

Hey, glad everything worked out for you. Thanks a lot for the internal pics; looks like I should be able to open up a III and rig up some sort of internal replacement battery, or maybe a capacitor. I was afraid the battery was soldered directly to the board, but with the leads attached I have a lot of possibilities. Shootist

Hey, glad everything worked out for you. Thanks a lot for the internal pics; looks like I should be able to open up a III and rig up some sort of internal replacement battery, or maybe a capacitor. I was afraid the battery was soldered directly to the board, but with the leads attached I have a lot of possibilities. Shootist

Your biggest problem will be the short lead from the circuit board to the BCN antenna connector. Look at the base of the connector on the back of the case and you will see a "nut" with two small slots, using a small screwdriver, unscrew the nut and push the BNC connector through the case. This will give you the ability to open the case further and make it easier to solder.