Logging your own cache

SG-MIN

So I was thinking. It seems to be the general concensus here in the forums that logging your own cache as a find is considered a no-no. Of course there is that situation where a cache is adopted where we generally consider logging a cache you own as acceptable.

What is the big deal with logging your own cache anyway? When I first started caching, way before I visited the forums (ahh... the days of niavity!), I had no idea it was considered unacceptable. There is nothing on the site that discourages it (the site actually allows it). In my humble opinion, if it weren't for the harsh, clearly defined, legalistic attitude of these forums, I would see no problem with it. In fact, I logged my first hidden cache as a find but have subsequently deleted the log.

Why are those of us in the forums so adamently against this? This practice seems much more open to speculation than say something like multiple logs on the same cache, or pocket caches, or fake logs or...

Not enough arguments on the forums today?

Not at all... The question deals more with what is it that gets us so bent out of shape. It seems like a legitimate conclusion to see logging your own cache as an acceptable practice.

Edited by SG-MIN

Quite simple for me. As soon as I signed up and saw that find count statistics were displayed to the public, I guessed that there was a competitive element involved, so I immediately treated Geocaching in "sportsmanship mode." I figured a find count was a measure of merit, so I guessed on my own that finding my own cache didn't deserve any merit, since I already knew where it was.

To be fair, I visited Geocaches for a few months before I signed up, so I had time to study how the site worked. I still made a mistake for Train Station Locationless, where I logged multiple finds on different train stations, even though the fine print said one log per finder, which I found out later. :(

For people who log finds to their own caches after it was moved or dislocated, it's a credibility issue. I have no qualms about it. However, if it became a common practice, the less scrupulous can take advantage of its "popularity" and increase their find counts faster so they can get accolades from other cachers for achieving their milestones faster.

Edited by budd-rdc

There is nothing on the site that discourages it (the site actually allows it). In my humble opinion, if it weren't for the harsh, clearly defined, legalistic attitude of these forums, I would see no problem with it.

Many activities have a set of unwritten standard practices, and I think for us, this is just one of them.

Although it does get discussed here on a regular basis, I don't see this practice (not logging your own cache) as arising from some forum-based attitude. Rather, I think perhaps the passionate discussions on this subject that we see here in the forums are a reflection of this standard practice.

The reason I say this is that the majority of geocachers don't spend much time in the forums, and despite having no (or limited) exposure to the legalistic attitude of which you speak, most people don't log finds on their own caches.

Not enough arguments on the forums today?

Not at all... The question deals more with what is it that gets us so bent out of shape. It seems like a legitimate conclusion to see logging your own cache as an acceptable practice.

Sorry, I honestly hope that this thread plays nice.

It just seems like the kind of thread that usually goes down hill fast.

Hear that people? Prove me wrong, PLEASE.

I wouldn't mind seeing this discussed without reverting to a spitting match, like so many threads.

Edited for the many spelling errors.

Edited by gof1

Many activities have a set of unwritten standard practices, and I think for us, this is just one of them.

Although it does get discussed here on a regular basis, I don't see this practice (not logging your own cache) as arising from some forum-based attitude. Rather, I think perhaps the passionate discussions on this subject that we see here in the forums are a reflection of this standard practice.

The reason I say this is that the majority of geocachers don't spend much time in the forums, and despite having no (or limited) exposure to the legalistic attitude of which you speak, most people don't log finds on their own caches.

Sounds like a prime example of Stanley Fish's concept of interpretive communities. In brief, it could be argued that because geocachers generally interprete the rules to mean that logging your own cache is a no-no, that interpretation carries weight even if the rules do not clearly state it. In other words, the collective interpretation of the rules brings truth.

I think the basic theory is that you cannot truly "find" something if you already know where it is hidden. That has always made sense to me.

For an analogy, we are currently having an interesting, polite discussion in the Waymarking forums about "visiting" a waymark that you have set up as the waymark owner. The system actually encourages this, and Jeremy has posted to confirm that this is the intention. I personally choose not to log visits on my own waymarks, but that's due in part to my geocaching background. The logic there is compelling, however: since waymarks aren't containers that are hidden under rocks, behind logs or in stumps, there is really nothing to "find." A "visit" is a better term, and there is no stretch of logic needed when you "visit" a waymark, because that is what you did. If you are the first person to visit that spot, you have the added task of setting up the waymark page as the owner of that waymark.

So I was thinking. It seems to be the general concensus here in the forums that logging your own cache as a find is considered a no-no. Of course there is that situation where a cache is adopted where we generally consider logging a cache you own as acceptable.

What is the big deal with logging your own cache anyway? When I first started caching, way before I visited the forums (ahh... the days of niavity!), I had no idea it was considered unacceptable. There is nothing on the site that discourages it (the site actually allows it). In my humble opinion, if it weren't for the harsh, clearly defined, legalistic attitude of these forums, I would see no problem with it. In fact, I logged my first hidden cache as a find but have subsequently deleted the log.

Why are those of us in the forums so adamently against this? This practice seems much more open to speculation than say something like multiple logs on the same cache, or pocket caches, or fake logs or...

To me finding your own caches like having an Easter Egg Hunt where you hide all the Easter Eggs. Then you invite all the kids outside to find them. You announce that whoever finds the most eggs gets a big chocolate Easter Bunny! Then you blow the start whistle and run around finding most of the eggs yourself winning the chocolate Easter Bunny. Later that day, you post a question in the Easter Egg Hunt thread asking why all the kids were crying after you did that...... :(

In brief, it could be argued that because geocachers generally interprete the rules to mean that logging your own cache is a no-no, that interpretation carries weight even if the rules do not clearly state it. In other words, the collective interpretation of the rules brings truth.

It could also be argued that there is no 'truth' in this regard. There is only the Tree of Angst. :(

To me finding your own caches like having an Easter Egg Hunt where you hide all the Easter Eggs. Then you invite all the kids outside to find them. You announce that whoever finds the most eggs gets a big chocolate Easter Bunny! Then you blow the start whistle and run around finding most of the eggs yourself winning the chocolate Easter Bunny. Later that day, you post a question in the Easter Egg Hunt thread asking why all the kids were crying after you did that...... :(

So are you implying there is a prize for who finds the most geocaches? Surely you aren't trying to move this thread into a discussion about numbers.... :D

If it isn't about the numbers, and numbers don't matter, then it shouldn't matter who logs what because in the end there is no giant chocolate bunny.

So are you implying there is a prize for who finds the most geocaches? Surely you aren't trying to move this thread into a discussion about numbers.... :D

If it isn't about the numbers, and numbers don't matter, then it shouldn't matter who logs what because in the end there is no giant chocolate bunny.

Yes, I think he's implying exactly that... especially since Geocaching is a social activity, and social recognization is a reward. :D

I've always said that numbers DO matter... never really understood the rants about "numbers don't matter" unless it was used to fend off people against too much scrutiny.

There is no giant chocolate Easter Bunny at the end?!!! :D Then what the heck am I doing this for?!!! :D

But seriously, I think you get my drift....... :D

Edited by TrailGators

I've always said that numbers DO matter... never really understood the rants about "numbers don't matter" unless it was used to fend off people against too much scrutiny.

See, I agree with you. Numbers do matter, but that does not make it a contest. If peopel could conceed this point, I think we all would be better off. Instead we end up with people adamently argueing against grey area logging practicies (which affect numbers) while stating that numbers don't matter. Obviously for them, numbers do matter.

Well... my husband and I cache under the same name. We have NOT logged any of our own hides, but technically? Hes planted about 5 that I have NEVER BEEN to, but just know are out there. I wouldnt have the slightest idea HOW to find them if I was alone, because... I didnt plant them.

But... we still havent logged them - but then, I also havent tried to find them! LOL

See, I agree with you. Numbers do matter, but that does not make it a contest. If peopel could conceed this point, I think we all would be better off. Instead we end up with people adamently argueing against grey area logging practicies (which affect numbers) while stating that numbers don't matter. Obviously for them, numbers do matter.

It is definitely a harmless honor system contest for those that participate.....

It is not a contest for those who have way too many other things on their plates! :D

By the way, I know you are playing the Devil's Advocate on this. :(

Edited by TrailGators

I think the basic theory is that you cannot truly "find" something if you already know where it is hidden.

An interesting rebuttal to this principle are some of my hides. Because of my use of natural camo, these cans all but disappear once they are placed. When I do a maintenance check, I'm often forced to rely on my GPSr to get me close, then a dedicated search to locate the container. The exceptions are my hides which utilize a dedicated landmark such as a distinct tree. Using the aforementioned logic, I could happily claim a find on several of my hides every time I do maintenance.

(No, I don't/won't do this)

For me, SG-MIN's post makes a lot of sense:

The collective interpretation of the rules brings truth.

There are no guidelines prohibiting logging finds on your own caches, and the Groundspeak software specifically allows it, when a simple line of code would effectively prevent it. However, the general community views it as bad form. When I joined this community, I embraced it's (general) mores and values as my own.

Numbers do not matter. Having hunted unlisted caches I can tell you that they can be just as much fun even though you can't get a :D Geocaching can become a real chore if it's just about the numbers. Just take it one cache at a time and you'll have more fun.

Well... my husband and I cache under the same name. We have NOT logged any of our own hides, but technically? Hes planted about 5 that I have NEVER BEEN to, but just know are out there. I wouldnt have the slightest idea HOW to find them if I was alone, because... I didnt plant them.

But... we still havent logged them - but then, I also havent tried to find them! LOL

My wife and I also share a name. I'd love to hide a few and watch her find them, but it would look weird if she logged a find for them.

The only time I've seen someone log a find on their own cache it was clearly a hapless mistake, though I've heard of people doing it on purpose. I wonder what they write in their posts? "I AM SUCH A LOSER! AAAAAH!"

If someone wants to log their own hides to increase numbers for the fanfare then go ahead. However, they will know they did this and it is very easy for anyone to look at the persons finds and see if this did log their own just for the numbers. I would guess that at this juncture that person would lose the respect of other cachers. I have seen cachers with extremely high find counts that have done this and that have finds when they didn't actually find it. It doesn't change my find count or my perception of why I enjoy this sport so it really doesn't matter to me.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that since the very first day I hunted for a geocache, I knew that it's bad form to log your own cache. Like Lep said, it's common sense that if you hid something, it's not much of a challenge to find it. Frankly, I find it bizarre that anyone, forum junkie or not, would find it acceptable to log their own cache as a find.

Are there people here, who as newbies, didn't know you shouldn't log your own cache?

Jamie

To me finding your own caches like having an Easter Egg Hunt where you hide all the Easter Eggs. Then you invite all the kids outside to find them. You announce that whoever finds the most eggs gets a big chocolate Easter Bunny! Then you blow the start whistle and run around finding most of the eggs yourself winning the chocolate Easter Bunny. Later that day, you post a question in the Easter Egg Hunt thread asking why all the kids were crying after you did that...... :D

There is no giant chocolate Easter Bunny at the end?!!! :D Then what the heck am I doing this for?!!! :D

But seriously, I think you get my drift....... :D

This seems to be the appropriate time for a giant chocolate bunny song.

The Bunny Song

"The Bunny, the bunny, whoa I love the bunny

I don't love my mom or my dad, just the bunny

The bunny, the bunny, yeah I love the bunny

I gave everything that I had for the bunny

I don't want no health food when it's time to feed

A big bag o' bunnies is all that I need

I don't want no buddies to come out and play

I'll sit on my sofa eat bunnies all day

I wont go to church and I wont go to school,

that stuff is for sissies, but bunnies are cool!

(Girls in backround:)

I don’t want no pickles, I don’t want no honey,

I just want a plate and a fork and a bunny

I don’t want a tissue when my nose is runny,

I don’t want to tell you a joke that is funny,

I don’t want to play on a day that is sunny,

(Repeat in backround)

The Bunny, the bunny, whoa I love the bunny

I don't love my mom or my dad, just the bunny

The bunny, the bunny, Yeah I love the bunny

I gave everything that I ha-a-a-aaad fo-or the bu-unnnyyyy!!"

The New and Improved Bunny Song

Bob: Now kids, we're gonna sing along with one of my favorite songs: The Bunny Song!

Jean Claud: Monsieur Bob, we're not supposed to sing the bunny song!

Bob: Oh, ho ho! Thank you for pointing that out Jean Claud, but this is the New and Improved Bunny Song!

This is the one we're supposed to sing.

Jeann Claud: I see.

"The bunny, the bunny, whoa I ate the bunny

I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny

The bunny, the bunny, oh I love the bunny

But now I feel real sick in the head, from the bunny

I didn't eat my salad, I didn't eat my steak

I had too much candy and got a tummy-ache

I need to eat good food to help me to grow

I'll obey my Momma cause she loves me so

Yeah I'll go to church and I'll go to school

That stuff is important and I ain't no fool

(Girls in backround:)

I don’t want no pickles, I don’t want no honey,

I just want a plate and a bucket of bunnies

I don’t want a tissue...

No, no, no girls! No that's wrong!

I learned my lesson

Oh, you're gonna get tummy-aches,

Now you stop singin that stuff!

Listen here girls, oh no!

The bunny, the bunny, whoa I ate the bunny

I didn't eat my soup or my bread, just the bunny

The bunny, the bunny, oh I love the bunny

But now I feel real sick in the head, from the bunny"

So you see, geocachers, chocolate bunnies are really not all they're cracked up to be. Say no to chocolate bunnies. :D

This is the way I've always looked at it, from the very beginning.

There are two sections in my profile under "Geocaches":

"List of Geocaches found"

"List of items owned"

Each cache that I've been to gets listed under one of these sections (except for DNF's). One or the other, not both. This just makes logical sense to me.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure that since the very first day I hunted for a geocache, I knew that it's bad form to log your own cache. Like Lep said, it's common sense that if you hid something, it's not much of a challenge to find it. Frankly, I find it bizarre that anyone, forum junkie or not, would find it acceptable to log their own cache as a find.

Are there people here, who as newbies, didn't know you shouldn't log your own cache?

Jamie

Yes, I had no idea, and originally logged my first hide. It was only after I started reading the forums that I realized most people considered it a no-no and deleted my log.

If someone wants to log their own hides to increase numbers for the fanfare then go ahead. However, they will know they did this and it is very easy for anyone to look at the persons finds and see if this did log their own just for the numbers. I would guess that at this juncture that person would lose the respect of other cachers. I have seen cachers with extremely high find counts that have done this and that have finds when they didn't actually find it. It doesn't change my find count or my perception of why I enjoy this sport so it really doesn't matter to me.

This is the first post on this thread that threatens to move this thread towards angst. Here are some misconceptions you have included in your post:

1. The only reason you would log your own cache is to increase your find count
    • Many new cachers, myself included logged their own caches out of ignorance - the only place that this practice is clearly defined as a no-no is here in the forums.

[*]You assume that other people are so worried about other people's numbers that they will search their profiles and if they find anything shady, lose respect for them.

• While this is true for some, most people will never notice. Obviously, the other angst filled threads have shown that some peopel will dig through thousands of logs to find ones that are not legit, but I highly doubt for the average cacher with 200 or less finds it will make a big differance.
  • I mean most people don't have enough caches hidden to made a huge differance in their find numbers if the logged their own.

While as we have seen, the idea of whether or not numbers matter is debatable, but I will argue this. For the average cacher who never steps foot in these forums, they don't give a rat's behind about other people's numbers beyond their own.

While as we have seen, the idea of whether or not numbers matter is debatable, but I will argue this. For the average cacher who never steps foot in these forums, they don't give a rat's behind about other people's numbers beyond their own.

Judging by the "congrats" threads on my local forums, events to honor milestones, talking with other geocachers about who has high numbers, etc., all from cachers who never step foot in THESE forums, lots of pepople care about other people's numbers.

For the average cacher who never steps foot in these forums, they don't give a rat's behind about other people's numbers beyond their own.

I have to disagree with this notion. "Average cachers who never step foot in the forums" are usually quite aware of the presence and numbers of other local cachers; we all see each other's stats, posts, etc. in cache logs. If you go to a local event, people very much know who's got the big numbers.

Cachers DO communicate outside these forums, after all; we "talk" via public logs and notes on cache pages, regional forums, regional events, and private e-mails.

On a side note, something I find interesting is that in my observation, there seem to be distinct localized sub-cultures WRT attitude, competition for FTF & numbers, etc. I cache in two general areas about 50 miles apart; both areas have a fairly high saturation of caches In one, people have a friendly rivalry in placing tricky caches, but there doesn't seem to be a big rush to place caches, nor does there seem to be any real urgency to be FTF when a new cache goes out.

In the other, there are several "FTF hounds", as well as several people who seem to compete to put out as many caches as possible.

I came in late and havn't read the whole thread so i'm sure this has been mentioned but,,, could it possibly be that this is a time when COMMON SENSE comes into play? It doesn't matter if a person comes into the forums or not, this has got to be one of the easiest to understand concepts out there. How can you go out and find a cache if you placed it and know right where it is? I just cannot comprehend why or how anyone would even want to consider doing this.

The cache's owner does get a "smilie" in their owned items column for placing the cache. Shouldn't that be enough?

could it possibly be that this is a time when COMMON SENSE comes into play?

I'm reminded of something my grandmother used to say: "Common sense ain't." :D

Which I agree with you; seems to me that common sense says that if you put something down, you're not "finding" it when next you see it... well, unless you're absent-minded like me and forget where you put things down. Then again, if I wrote down on a website every place I put my keys down, I'd not have trouble knowing where they are. :D

Hmmmm, either you found it or you hid it, right?

What should I do about this one, then please?

The container belonged to me and my husband, most of the original swag was ours. The idea to hide it there was Drgnsrealm's, who is local to the area. The gps units that we used to get the coords that day were ours. We had input on the best spot to hide the cache. Drgnsrealm wrote up the cache page, got it reviewed, added our names (graciously), and has been taking care of the cache ever since (splendidly, no, better than that astoundingly well).

I only get notices about it because I put it on my watchlist. I have been in contact with Drgnsrealm about the cache since we hid it, and with geocachers who had questions about it. So I didn't just drop the can and forget about it---I still think of myself as having a interest in the hide.

It does not show up in my list of found caches, because I never wrote a "found it" log online.

It does not show up in my list of caches hidden, because there can be only one owner.

I didn't "find" it, but I can't get credit for hiding it, either. And it's a great cache, that I would love to be officially associated with in some way.

Sometimes the world isn't black or white, either/or, off or on. A lot of you have said "You can only have credit for finding it or hiding it" but sometimes you can't get credit for either.

I can't even begin to understand why someone would want to log their own finds. There are caches that you can find, and there are caches that you own.

Even before I started participating in the forums, I knew that logging my own caches was cheezy. To me, it's like taking more than one newspaper from the rack. Integrity is doing the right thing when nobody is looking. Logging your own finds is a fast way to lose credibility in your caching area. I would never, want other cachers to question my integrity, for shall we say, "shady logging practices."

There have been lots of threads on this issue. In many of those threads, there have been circumstances where logging one's one cache is believed to be acceptable. While I agree that logging one's own traditional non-moving regular cache is not acceptable to me, I don't really care if others do it. I couldn't imaging me even noticing that it was done.

Edited by sbell111

Hmmmm, either you found it or you hid it, right?

What should I do about this one, then please?

The container belonged to me and my husband, most of the original swag was ours. The idea to hide it there was Drgnsrealm's, who is local to the area. The gps units that we used to get the coords that day were ours. We had input on the best spot to hide the cache. Drgnsrealm wrote up the cache page, got it reviewed, added our names (graciously), and has been taking care of the cache ever since (splendidly, no, better than that astoundingly well).

I only get notices about it because I put it on my watchlist. I have been in contact with Drgnsrealm about the cache since we hid it, and with geocachers who had questions about it. So I didn't just drop the can and forget about it---I still think of myself as having a interest in the hide.

It does not show up in my list of found caches, because I never wrote a "found it" log online.

It does not show up in my list of caches hidden, because there can be only one owner.

I didn't "find" it, but I can't get credit for hiding it, either. And it's a great cache, that I would love to be officially associated with in some way.

Sometimes the world isn't black or white, either/or, off or on. A lot of you have said "You can only have credit for finding it or hiding it" but sometimes you can't get credit for either.

Doesn't matter whether you place your own or help someone else place a cache. The black and white comes in when you want to log a find on it. I've helped place several caches so i know all about the ignoring to keep off my not found cache list, the watchlist to see logs that come in, and the not getting credit for the find or owned item smilie. To me it's just not that important,,, but if it is to someone else, then they have decisions to make as to whether they want to be a cache's co-owner or not.

You are associated with it,, your name shows up as being one of the owners. Now that being said, i will admit that there was this one event cache that i put a lot of effort into organizing. I really felt like i should have been able to add this to my list of owned caches however, GC.com doesn't allow multiple owners of a cache. This might be a topic for another thread but for now, this is the way it is...

I've seen where people have logged finds on their own caches, but all I ever did was roll my eyes and move on. Find logs, Travel Bugs, seat belts, grammar, toilet seats ... no matter how obvious it is to most folks how a thing should be operated, there's always going to be a few who will remain blissfully baffled and oblivious.

Some of those things can be a problem, but in this case it's just odd. It doesn't affect me, therefore it doesn't bother me.

First off, you can log your own cache. There's nothing to stop anyone from doing so. And few people will ever care to check.

I've heard the reasons to NOT log, namely being you hid it. What is your reason FOR logging your own cache, other than being new and not knowing the normal standard? (BTW- I truly believe 95%+ of newbies never log their own caches, even without coming to the forums or knowing the "rules". I know no one in our local group ever did, and they don't come 'round here)

And lastly, if you feel the way you do, why did you bend under the awesome forum pressure and delete your log on your cache, if you feel there's nothing wrong with it?

On a different note, what's happened to sbell111's avatar?!? That's just not right.

Edited by Googling Hrpty Hrrs

geocaching is an invidiual hobby.

there are a lot of uptight nerdy types who participate, and seem to care more about how others play than about how they play themselves.

I say ignore them and do whatever is most fun for you. Who cares whether they want you to do it or not, it doesn't hurt anyone, and if it's more fun for you, then go for it.

Doesn't matter whether you place your own or help someone else place a cache. The black and white comes in when you want to log a find on it.

My daughter, Mogwai913, hid Mogwai's Mighty Multi with my assistance. I was there when she hid the stages, as well as when she hid the final. That was about a year ago, and I haven't been back since. (The March 17th TB swap was not done on site) I know what patch of woods it's in, but that's as close as I could get without firing up my 60CSx and finding all the stages. There is no way I could simply walk to it. If I ever do a maintenance run on this one for her, I'll probably log it as a find, since I'd have to jump through all the hoops as anybody else looking for it.

Oddly enough, if my name was listed on the page as co-owner, I wouldn't feel right about logging a find.

geocaching is an invidiual hobby.

there are a lot of uptight nerdy types who participate, and seem to care more about how others play than about how they play themselves.

I say ignore them and do whatever is most fun for you. Who cares whether they want you to do it or not, it doesn't hurt anyone, and if it's more fun for you, then go for it.

So people who have integrity, and like to do the right thing are uptight nerds? :blink:

There have been lots of threads on this issue. In many of those threads, there have been circumstances where logging one's one cache is believed to be acceptable. While I agree that logging one's own traditional non-moving regular cache is not acceptable to me, I don't really care if others do it. I couldn't imaging me even noticing that it was done.

Finding your own cache is generally consedered a bad practice and cases that are considered acceptable are rare. Blocking the ability to find your own cache could be turned back on by reviewers/admin if one of these rare instances happens. If not that then a warning message would be nice. It would notify someone who is in the process of unintentionally logging a find on their own cache. Those who are intentionally logging a find on their own cache can simply ignore the warning message.

On a different note, what's happened to sbell111's avatar?!? That's just not right.

A reference was made to kitties and bunnies in another thread and I had taken this pic of our cat just a few days ago. It is unlikely to stay that way for long as I am having trouble identifying my own posts.

d09f6f03-4dda-41bb-b3f8-f0d91eeb46cd.jpg

I don't qualify for one of these 277.gif. I believe that there is at least one cache that if I found I wouldn't be able to log because finding a certain amount of cache before finding that one is a logging requirement. This January is my 5 year Geocaching anniversary. As far as I an conserned the public display of cahces found should go away.

Judging by the "congrats" threads on my local forums, events to honor milestones, talking with other geocachers about who has high numbers, etc., all from cachers who never step foot in THESE forums, lots of pepople care about other people's numbers.

Granted they watch, and are aware, but do they care enough go digging through people's profiles to check to see if they have 5 extra smilies because they logged their own caches.

Oh and in responce to other recent threads, I don't think it is quite as obvious as we would like to think that self-logging is bad form.

Two logging practices that get plenty of negative attention here in the forums, even when done innocently:

• Logging a find on your own cache
  • Logging a find when you didn't actually 'find' the cache

Both of these practices (to me, anyway) seem to fall in the general category of not making sense, since you can't find something if you already know where it is, and since you can't find something you didn't actually find. Neither practice is prohibited by Groundspeak (other than the general "Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements" guideline for cache owners).

From what I see, the first of these (log your own) is uncommon (even among new cachers), the second (didn't find it = found it) is common (among both new and experienced cachers).

So, since the site does not prohibit either of these two types of logs, and there is no written rule against either one, and both practices increase your find count, and both practices are criticized in the forums, why does one practice seem to be so much more common than the other?

...So, since the site does not prohibit either of these two types of logs, and there is no written rule against either one, and both practices increase your find count, and both practices are criticized in the forums, why does one practice seem to be so much more common than the other?
It is about what people can rationalize.

The 'acceptable' reasons for logging your own cache have generally gone away over the years, while people still are able to rationalize logging a cache as a find, even though no log was signed.

To me finding your own caches like having an Easter Egg Hunt where you hide all the Easter Eggs. Then you invite all the kids outside to find them. You announce that whoever finds the most eggs gets a big chocolate Easter Bunny! Then you blow the start whistle and run around finding most of the eggs yourself winning the chocolate Easter Bunny. Later that day, you post a question in the Easter Egg Hunt thread asking why all the kids were crying after you did that...... :blink:

Exactly. The ones who care about statistic are like crying kids and over-competitve grown-ups.

The rest just enjoys the outdoors and couldn't care less!

I think it's pretty funny that some people switch into "competition mode" as soon as there are some numbers present.

GermanSailor