Travel bugs at the end of Multi cache...whats up with that

The Trident

I've often thought about putting a TB at the end of a multi in hopes that it could attract more people to complete the multi. I have placed a geocoin at a cache where you must find 2 other caches to get the coordinates of the 3rd. This particular cache does not get found that often, mainly because of the length of the hike if you do it in one go.

It's a common practice to put TBs or coins at the ends of more difficult multicaches as bait to lure cachers to attempt the cache. Most of the time, the owner (it IS usually done by an owner) will trade TBs/coins in and out of the final stage to make sure that it doesn't stay there too long. I think that's good and fair practice.

There are two multi caches in my area one has 9 legs and the other 7. Each has a travel bug in the last leg of the cache. Isn't this defeating the purpose of the travel bug?

Just wanted to get other cachers opininons on this topic.

Happy Caching

The Trident

No. The mission of the TB may be delayed because fewer people will tackle a multi, but there is no defeat to the purpose unless the TB is in one of those TB races that crop up now and then.

I recently released a TB that was placed in a 4/3.5 cache. While I would have liked to have seen it placed in a more frequented cache I figured, 'well, that's just what happens. Who knows maybe it'll get picked up sooner than next spring'.

I once had a TB dropped into The Journal. After a couple months the owner went and retrieved it.

I figured as long as someone isn’t just harvesting local bugs to attract people to their cache, the bug goes where it goes. No sense in fretting about what cache it gets dropped into.

I have placed a geocoin at a cache where you must find 2 other caches.......

I notice that it's not YOUR coin you put there, but someone else's. I wonder how enthused the coin owner is about that?

I harvest the bugs and coins out of my own long distance hiking caches in the spring and move them somewhere to actually travel (Florida, summer is NOT the hiking season). As a bug owner, I'm not exactly thrilled when I see a bug get put out on a higher terrain cache, though I do own one with that specific goal - high terrain caches. It sits for long periods, but that's the expectation. High Terrain Coin

There is another side to this argument.

In my area, the cachers including myself routinely place Geocoins, and Jeeps in puzzle caches. The number of Coin and Jeep thefts have dropped substantially, since Mr. Thief can't simply "enter coords, then steal said item."

I routinely place geocoins and Jeeps in my difficult puzzles, and high terrain caches. If they sit too long, I personally retrieve them, and get them moving again. I recover TBs from slow caches also. So far, none of these coins, or Jeeps have ever "disappeared" in my caches. I remember when several coins that were in my hard caches, were retrieved by other cachers, and then placed in "park and grabs." They were stolen within a day or two.

Edited by Kit Fox

There are two multi caches in my area one has 9 legs and the other 7. Each has a travel bug in the last leg of the cache. Isn't this defeating the purpose of the travel bug?

Just wanted to get other cachers opininons on this topic.

Happy Caching

The Trident

Trident,

Some folks log TBs and Geocoins like they do smilies for finds...it's what keeps them motivated. More power to them. I have also recently placed several TBs in a 3 leg 4 mile multi in hopes of drawing folks out to it. If the TBs are not moved within a couple of weeks, I will retrieve all three and move them myself. That's just me personal philosophy, though.