I Goofed Up ROYALLY!

Snoogans

Is there a chance my user profile can be reset to an earlier date? :unsure:

HELP!

I had two windows open while editing my "ODS: PRIME!" account.

I needed to change a date on an event that was just published on my "Snoogans" account and SOMEHOW saved ODS PRIME's profile to my Snoogans profile when I went back to the other window to continue working.

Is there a way to reset my snoogans profile BACK the way it was???

Yipes! that is hours and hours of work lost.................... Nearing 50K characters gone poof. :mad:

Is there anything at all that can be done?

The system wants me to re-validate my Snoogans account & I'm afraid to do it for fear of losing everything if I do..... :blink:

Ouch...

Backups can be your friend. I saw how complex that profile was. If/when you get it back (thru help from TPTB or pure elbow grease) I hope you backup the HTML locally.

You don't know how many times I meant to save a file to my memory stick. It would have only taken a few seconds. DOH! :unsure: Lesson learned. Too fweakin' late. :blink:

Are those particular pages cached in google by any chance?

How do find that? I googled Snoogans and came right back here.... :unsure:

Or failing that, you can cross your fingers and someone reading this topic might have the old version sitting in a temporary internet file.

That's what I'm hoping for at this point. :blink:

How do I check my temp files?

Just by chance, last week I had gone to your profile page and read up on your ODS project. If you tell me how to check my temp files, it should be there.

It depends on the OS and browser, but for Windows + Internet Explorer, "Temp" or "Temporary Internet Files" folders are good places to start. (There's usually even more folders to look at from there) There are multiple locations for these, from the main Windows folder, or to an individual user folder. You can check the "Internet Options" from the Control Panel or from IE's "Tools" selections.

How do I check my temp files?

Just by chance, last week I had gone to your profile page and read up on your ODS project. If you tell me how to check my temp files, it should be there.

There was very little on the ODS project in my Snoogans profile except a couple of links.

My Snoogans profile IS the ODS profile right now except for one small change made to ODS: PRIME today. I don't want to make any further changes to my Snoogans account, or validate it, until I hear back from contact@Groundspeak. ODS: PRIME! was not affected at all. The profile info saved onto my snoogans account when I changed windows without logging out. This is totally my fault. I'm just trying to get it back to normal with the least amount of time wasted.

I may hafta start all over. I don't know yet.

Sorry Snoog,

I spent about an hour looking, and couldn't find a file that worked. I searched my history in IE and found where I logged your profile last week, but since I had viewed it today when you had your problem, it had updated... :unsure:

I kept searching my drive in all the temp folders I could find, but I didn't see anything readable...beyond my meager abilities!

Arg - google.com has it cached as of Oct 16th, but doesn't have a user account and can't see it.

:blink: That's great! 10/16 is PERFECT! I don't think I've added much since then...... Ummmm....... Now how do I find what you're talking about? :tired:

When I google "Arg - google.com" I came up empty.... :)

Arg - google.com has it cached as of Oct 16th, but doesn't have a user account and can't see it.

:blink: That's great! 10/16 is PERFECT! I don't think I've added much since then...... Ummmm....... Now how do I find what you're talking about? :tired:

When I google "Arg - google.com" I came up empty.... :)

Go here and it's the first link (although this was cached on Oct 31....can't find a cached version for the 16th)

Unfortunately if you click on the "cached" link it wants you to login, so I don't think it's going to help you, since after logging in it takes you to the current one.

Edited by ThePropers

Unfortunately if you click on the "cached" link it wants you to login, so I don't think it's going to help you, since after logging in it takes you to the current one.

Actually, I think what happened here is that Google's web crawler doesn't have a gc.com account, so it couldn't see the real page. So it archived the "Sorry, Charlie" page for posterity.

dave

I hope you get it back. I'm not done reading it yet! LOL - Its like a novel!

I printed a copy on 8/25. It printed to 19 pages. I had added a great deal after that though. :tired: I'm pretty sure that I can get it back to nearly the way it was if some quick fix can't be found.

It will take about 20 hours of work though..... I type reeeeeeeal slow. :blink:

I hope you get it back. I'm not done reading it yet! LOL - Its like a novel!

I printed a copy on 8/25. It printed to 19 pages. I had added a great deal after that though. :tired: I'm pretty sure that I can get it back to nearly the way it was if some quick fix can't be found.

It will take about 20 hours of work though..... I type reeeeeeeal slow. :blink:

I never looked at it, but if it's just text, perhaps you could scan it to a text document (if you have the technology) and then just cut and paste it. Just a thought. Sure would beat typing it in again.

I use the windows interface. At the top of the webpage is the gray toolbar. History is listed as one of the options. When I click on History it allows me to search past activity. These are cached pages on my machine that I set to keep for two weeks. You do not need to worry about the sign-in feature because they are cached pages on the computer of that visit. The information would be on there from before and held in the computer. Do you have this feature? Unfortunately I haven't visited your profile page, but maybe someone with windows who can check their history has your profile page. Click History, click day/week you want to check, click geocaching.com look for profile page for snoogans. Hope this helps.

We certainly do incremental backups daily. Unfortunately the amount of developer time involved to restore your profile entry would be longer than it would take for you to retype it. So unfortunately you are sunk.

Eh, lesson learned. I could have taken a moment to back it all up, but chose to put it off. You can bet that all my stuff will be backed up monthly if not weekly NOW.

Edited by Snoogans

We certainly do incremental backups daily. Unfortunately the amount of developer time involved to restore your profile entry would be longer than it would take for you to retype it. So unfortunately you are sunk.

Eh, lesson learned. I could have taken a moment to back it all up, but chose to put it off. You can bet that all my stuff will be backed up monthly if not weekly NOW.

Before you start typing: I found your cut-and-paste in this post.

(I know there's a lot of other stuff that was in your profile, but this should save you a little work at least)

(I know there's a lot of other stuff that was in your profile, but this should save you a little work at least)

That saved me some time digging it up. Thanks. (psst: I search for the word "psychomantium" to find that post.) :laughing:

That saved me some time digging it up. Thanks. (psst: I search for the word "psychomantium" to find that post.) :unsure:

Since that post is nowhere near the 19 pages you said it was when you printed it out (and is closer to 1 page), I kindof feel the need to reiterate my earlier post of just scanning in the 19 pages you printed earlier. If you scan it in as text, you can just cut and paste it. I know you said the printout was still missing a lot, but it can't be as much as that post is missing...