palm v / GSAK

Have a Palm V, have cashmate and Gsak. I did 2 PQs from GC.com when i loaded the 2nd pq it put them all into one on my Palm, how do I seperate them and any others I down load, I want to put them into seperate files.

The easiest thing to do is to create seperate catagory names for each pq you load into any given database. For example, I created a catagory for each town that I based a pq around.

Once the pq's are combined into the same catagory, there is no way to seperate them, so you will most likely have to clear your caches from Cachemate and start over.

Here is a good tutorial from the Maryland Geocaching Association on how to do what I was trying to explain.

Can someone explain how to transfer logs for found caches created in Cachemate to GSAK so they appear in the logs section there. I'm assuming that that would cause the notes/log symbol to populate for each cache in question in the notes/log column and wondering if somehow the cache status changes to Found. I maintain Not found and Found databases in GSAK. I've read through the GSAK help screens and even played with the macro that's available without any success. The Load cachmate logs radio button in GSAK indicates it's looking for a GPX file created by cachmate but I can't figure out how that's accomplished. In cachmate it appears you can only export logs to the memo pad function in the PDA. By the way I using a Palm T/X to go paperless. I'm really lost here and could use some help. Thanks in advance

Can someone explain how to transfer logs for found caches created in Cachemate to GSAK so they appear in the logs section there. I'm assuming that that would cause the notes/log symbol to populate for each cache in question in the notes/log column and wondering if somehow the cache status changes to Found. I maintain Not found and Found databases in GSAK. I've read through the GSAK help screens and even played with the macro that's available without any success. The Load cachmate logs radio button in GSAK indicates it's looking for a GPX file created by cachmate but I can't figure out how that's accomplished. In cachmate it appears you can only export logs to the memo pad function in the PDA. By the way I using a Palm T/X to go paperless. I'm really lost here and could use some help. Thanks in advance

Quick answer (details are too time consuming right now & depend on your set-up/style):

1. write log in CacheMate

2. hotsync

3. run back-up .PDB file thru CM2GPX.exe (see smittyware.com)

4. load resulting .GPX file in GSAK

Quick answer (details are too time consuming right now & depend on your set-up/style):

1. write log in CacheMate

2. hotsync

3. run back-up .PDB file thru CM2GPX.exe (see smittyware.com)

4. load resulting .GPX file in GSAK

Jester Thanks for the help. I've read through all the info I could find on Smitty.com and on GSAK. I'm hung up on using CM2GPX. Getting it to work etc. I've done steps 1&2. Step 4 I understand. In GSAK when using the radio button for "Load cachmate logs and file" is this using CM2GPX? It will only let you look for files that end in .GPX so I can't enter anything with .PDB. I believe that the file I want is in my Palm backup folder and ends in -cmat. Converting it to GPX is where I fall flat on my face :laughing:

1) Find the Cachmate PDB file you want.

2) Drag and drop it over the CM2GPX.exe file. It will write a GPX file of the same name in the same directory as teh PDB file.

Red 90 thanks! Finally someone explained how to accomplish that. It worked and created the .GPX file just as you said. I loaded it into the load cachmate logs and files in GSAK and it ran. The resulting message was:

Cachmate records matched and selected for update: 4

Cachmate founds updated in GSAK: 0

Cachmate logs updated in GSAK: 0

Now granted the 4 caches in question were already marked as found and in the CachesFound database I created in GSAK so I can understand getting the founds updated in GSAK: 0 result but wen I changed one of the caches to not found as a test and reran it didn't change to found nor did any of the logs populate and produce the ICON indicating that the there were logs or notes. Any ideas why it's not working right???

Create separate databases in cachemate, when you load each pdb file it'll ask you what database you want to put it in (assuming you have more than just the default database) choose the database you want to load the pdb file into.

Thanks for responsding but what I'm referring to is well after that step. My question is different from the original submitted by Yakimacacher. What I'm talking about is after I've cached and made log entries in cachmate including putting a check in the found box to chage the status, now I want to move those logs into GSAK. Red90 hit the nail on the head but the end result I got in GSAK was as I described and I'm wondering why the logs are not showing up.

I don't know. It works for me. GSAK needs to be able to tell which cache is which so make sure the "codes" are the same.

Ok thanks. I guess what I'll do is log in a few more caches and start fresh from the beginning of the process to see if it works this time.

In order for the round trip process to work you must also make sure you can match your CacheMate waypoints back into GSAK. Currently this will only work it you have exported to cache mate using the code or smart name (%code or %smart). So when you load back into GSAK you must make sure you select the correct matching method:

0211200681120.png

I don't know. It works for me. GSAK needs to be able to tell which cache is which so make sure the "codes" are the same.

Ok thanks. I guess what I'll do is log in a few more caches and start fresh from the beginning of the process to see if it works this time.

Edit. Found the prolem. I had picked smart names when I should have picked waypoint names. Once I made the change it worked like a charm.

Again thanks to everyone for helping me out

In order for the round trip process to work you must also make sure you can match your CacheMate waypoints back into GSAK. Currently this will only work it you have exported to cache mate using the code or smart name (%code or %smart). So when you load back into GSAK you must make sure you select the correct matching method:

0211200681120.png

Clyde exactly right. That's what I did wrong. Your proram is awesome and everyday I'm learning something new about it. Thanks again and to everyone else that responded :unsure: