geocaching.com underserved?

SESCubed

geocaching.com and related sites have been both very slow and serving busy errors for a couple of weeks now. In my experience this is a result of being "underserved". Too many requests for the CPU(s) to handle. Emails going out slowly, late or not at all. Unable to read the website.

My personal experience is with FreeBSD servers so perhaps Windows based servers different.

So.............

what's up guys??

Keep us up to date. Got enough server??

SESCubed.

geocaching.com and related sites have been both very slow and serving busy errors for a couple of weeks now. In my experience this is a result of being "underserved". Too many requests for the CPU(s) to handle. Emails going out slowly, late or not at all. Unable to read the website.

My personal experience is with FreeBSD servers so perhaps Windows based servers different.

So.............

what's up guys??

SESCubed.

Hmm that's rare to see a FreeBSD guy speak up. They aren't known to be a boastful bunch. :unsure:

Geocaching.com (GC.com) does go through periods of server unavailability, so if you have time, you might want to browse through past threads to see the trends (summer caching season, weekends, ever-increasing numbers of users, etc.) Don't want to put too many words in TPTB's mouths, but so far, they have tried to improve database performance instead of just throwing hardware at the problem.

Unless we are willing to tolerate a prolonged downtime, migrating to another OS might be a monumental task.

It has been very slow or not at all for some of us in the Midwest. It is 4:15 in the AM and I can't get into the website. I tried at work just before I left at 3:00am with no results there either.

I saw the "slow/busy server" message on the 19th, are you still having the same problems???

mrring

It has been very slow or not at all for some of us in the Midwest. It is 4:15 in the AM and I can't get into the website. I tried at work just before I left at 3:00am with no results there either.

I saw the "slow/busy server" message on the 19th, are you still having the same problems???

mrring

Jeremy discussed the problem in the announcements forum.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=146938

Hmm that's rare to see a FreeBSD guy speak up. They aren't known to be a boastful bunch. :unsure:

<snip>

Unless we are willing to tolerate a prolonged downtime, migrating to another OS might be a monumental task.

Count me another BSD guy (OS X, actually) that doesn't have a high opinion of MS, IIS and ASP. There's a reason that MS has had a hard time cracking the 30% market share point for server software (though Netcraft shows them finally at that level of late.)

Prolonged downtime? Let's see...

1) Hire some developers for MySQL, Apache and PHP/Lasso/some other mark up language

2) Buy new hardware

3) Have developers redesign, rewrite and reimplement the whole site

4) Test the snot out of it

5) Migrate the database from MSSQL to MySQL.

and

6) Flip the switch that directs www.geocaching.com from the current architecture to the new.

Downtime? Zero seconds. Well, whatever time it takes to move the data between the two SQL databases.

Cost? Well, you got me there ;) Steps 1-4 up there would cost way more money than Groundspeak has to put on something like this.

Unless you've a bucket of cash to spend on all of this stuff, it's the sort of thing that cannot be done. Patchwork and adding hardware is about all you can do. In the long run, that will cost you far more money, but because you don't cough it up all at once, it just becomes the cost of doing business.

Edited by adjensen

So.............

what's up guys??

SESCubed.

TITB.

boooooo...

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server Too Busy

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server Too Busy

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Server Too Busy]

System.Web.HttpRuntime.RejectRequestInternal(HttpWorkerRequest wr) +146

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2300

So.............

what's up guys??

SESCubed.

Well, after a pretty flawless day after turning off the notifications you can chalk up the recent server issues to an aggressive and outdated cache notification system. I'm rewriting the system from scratch so next week the emails will be database-friendly.

Closing this thread.