Visitng DC from Alaska

LTTB

I need help in finding where I should look for caches in the DC area. At this point I am staying at the 4 Seasons and would like to know of any neat caches I could hunt for. I will be there for 5 days in november and all I am doing is caching and visiting museums. ANY SUGEGSTONS? You can e-mail me through geocaching.com if you prefer. Thanks LTTB

Where in the DC area? DC proper or the outlying area? Will you have access to a car or are you relying on public transportation?

I am staying in DC proper and will have no car but will rely on the metro for transportation. I am up for searching for caches in outlying areas also. Thanks for helping.

I need help in finding where I should look for caches in the DC area. At this point I am staying at the 4 Seasons and would like to know of any neat caches I could hunt for. I will be there for 5 days in november and all I am doing is caching and visiting museums. ANY SUGEGSTONS? You can e-mail me through geocaching.com if you prefer. Thanks LTTB

Secret Garden is one of the few physical caches in DC. If you take the metro to Dupont Circle, and exit on the south side of the circle, it's one block south and a few steps west. Try not to go right at lunch time, as there is a high muggle factor.

And a few blocks away is the Brickskellar. From what I've heard, it is a great place for a beer or two (a person I work with who owns a pub highly recommends it). They have many beers on tap.

You all have been helpful. I am so excited to do this. The Secret Garden and Awakening ones look cool and I will hopefully get to those. The Metro list is very helpful. Thanks for that one. If there are any more cool ones that I should do while I am there please post it. I paperless cache so I can bring loads of "pages" with me and decide when I get there. LTTB

Edited by LTTB

You can certainly walk your legs off, and have a good time doing it, right in the middle of DC and on the National Mall. Most of the Virtuals in DC are better than average...make sure you stop and get "Last Stop for a Weary Traveller"...depending upon your age, it may make you cry. Do a "White House" search from ZipCode 20500.......and have a good visit.

Regards,

Bill

P.S. Just a word of caution too...it's not recommended to cache at night in DC. For most, DC is the District of Columbia, for others it's Dodge City - and there's really no humor in that :unsure:

You all have been helpful. I am so excited to do this. The Secret Garden and Awakening ones look cool and I will hopefully get to those. The Metro list is very helpful. Thanks for that one. If there are any more cool ones that I should do while I am there please post it. I paperless cache so I can bring loads of "pages" with me and decide when I get there. LTTB

There's also "A DC Tardis" which is right across from the zoo. I had found the spot, but the cache was temporarily inaccessible. There are a couple of physical caches nearby as well. The escalator at the Zoo MEtro station is one of the five longest in the Western Hemisphere! (200'+)

And afterwards, you can make a trip into the zoo (which is free) and see the pandas. South of the zoo a few blocks is a large number of ethnic restaurants...Thai, Mediterranean, Italian, Indian (Rajaji is my favorite), etc.

This is all so very very cool. You are all the best for helping me. I promise not to GC at night. I will be by myself and I am a girl so I will need to take it extra careful. I am leaving the family behind for this trip so I am hoping to sleep in, get a massage, and hit all the cool stuff all well and geocache to my hearts content!

Hi LTTB,

Here is what I do when I travel somewhere new. Go to www.geocoder.us and enter the street address of where you are staying (in your case, the 4 Seasons). This will give you the coords of the hotel. Then on gc.com, go to "Hide and seek a cache" and enter the coords. That will give you all the caches in the area, starting with the ones closest to you and working outward. Then just browse and see which ones interest you. Don't forget the "see map" feature "view in Google maps". I usually start with the closest cache, see the map, and then get the lay of the land (and caches) from there. Hopes this helps.

PS. I'm from Ketchikan, but live in VA now.