hiding geocaching boxes on newspaper racks/etc.

shidad

Hi, I just wanted to let everyone who has hidden a geocaching box on a newspaper rack (the newspaper boxes that you put money in and the door swings out and you take a paper from), that these racks get changed out periodically and recycled so the geocaching boxes either are thrown away or lost in the shuffle. I myself have found 2 geocaching boxes on newspaper racks that were going to be recycled and unfortunately, I have no idea where they came from. Hope this helps some of you when trying to decide where to hide your next geocache!

Sincerely,

team shidad

Is it me, or does this seem like hiding a cache in newspaper vending box is a breech of private property?

The first cache of this type that I found I thought was pretty funny and somewhat creative. But something didn't sit right with me. I guess as long as you plug you money into the machine, what would the courier care.

I once stumbled upon a newspaper vending box in the woods. I'm guessing some hoodlums dragged it into the woods to pummel it with implements of destruction. I considered placing a cache in it, as I thought it would be really funny. But the area was kind of skanky and I decided I didn't want to bring my fellow caches to that kind of area.

Anyway, I've seen the OP's situation occur several times in my area. I don't think there are any more of those types of caches around her.

It appears the OP is the recycler (one post, no finds) so he probably wouldn't know how to go about tracking them down by coordinates or another method.

However, this is useful information, as I know a couple caches that are on these kinds of boxes.

If the OP is reading this though, it would be nice if the caches could be moved to the new boxes that are replacing the recycled ones. Of if you could provide the location (city, intersection) I'm sure we could figure out which caches they are so the owners could be notified.

Edited by ThePropers

Either way, isn't this just a normal maintenance issue? If you hide a cache, it might go missing. Urban caches are at increased risk.

Of course, if proper permission was obtained on the placement.

Perhaps the service crew that swapped out the boxes would have been nice enough to replace the cache. :)

Is it me, or does this seem like hiding a cache in newspaper vending box is a breech of private property?...

The vending boxes are, personal property, placed on public property, in an area of public accomodation, in order to solicit business.

The cache is no better or worse than someone’s coffee sitting on the machine while they get a paper. Consider it a cost of doing business in the public thoroughfare. Now if someone vandalized the machine that crosses the line. A magnetic key holder is just going to benefit the recycler later if he becomes a cacher.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Is it me, or does this seem like hiding a cache in newspaper vending box is a breech of private property?...

The vending boxes are, personal Property, placed on public property, in an area of public accomodation, in order to solicit business.

:)

OK, so the contrary conditions cancel each other out. :)

The vending boxes are, personal Property, placed on public property, in an area of public accomodation, in order to solicit business.

:)

OK, so the contrary conditions cancel each other out. :)

What contrary conditions? Someone sticks a box on the sidewalk, someone else sticks a box on the box. No harm, no problem. Everyone goes about their business. Newspapers sell, get some extra traffic resulting in extra sales, cachers find a cache, and the occasional cache goes missing when the machine is recalled. We now know that's a risk.

Now if it was the newspaper vending van or hot dog stand, that would be different.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Look at it another way. It's generally ok to put a cache on public property. So you put the cache in a specific spot on the sidewalk, about 1.5' up in the air. As it happens that bit of public airspace has another machine there that obstructs the view to the cache. If it's ok to have a vending machine laying about, it's probably ok to have a cache.

Do they have vending machines in front of courthouses?

Does a distinction need to be made between "in" and "on"? If the cache is magnetized to the outside of the machine versus on the inside thus requiring one to purchase a newspaper to access the cache? Just asking!
The 'commercial' guideline might come into play if it is inside a box that requires payment to access. A free paper's box, would not present a problem.

Does a distinction need to be made between "in" and "on"? If the cache is magnetized to the outside of the machine versus on the inside thus requiring one to purchase a newspaper to access the cache? Just asking!

Found one inside a newspaper vending machine. Shortly thereafter, it was archived as being 'commercial'. Goodness... 25 cents each from the twelve cachers who found it!

Hmm... Did another cache that cost us $20 in parking and entry fees, but that's a non-profit organization, so that's okay. Go figure.