New Feature Idea for Travel Bugs

Super_Nate

This is not a question about travel bugs, but it is a new feature idea that GC.com should consider.

Their are a number of people who see no real good point for having the "discovered it" logs on travel bugs. If someone reading this finds "discovered it" to be nice and helpful, then I am sorry for stepping of toes but this is just an idea that I am thinking up. Their is a thread on the Travel Bug forums that has to do with what the real point of the discover logs are to begin with. Several of the logs talked about having discovered logs so that the owner of the trackable can rest assured that their bug/coin is safe and still active.

Here is the new feature that I have been thinking about

If you want to let the owner know that the bug/coin is still doing okay then turn off the "discover log" feature and turn on a feature called "trackable confirmed." After certian period that a trackable has been sitting in a cache, the owner can push a button that makes an attribute or banner appear on the trackable's page stateing that he/she is interested in knowing if the bug is safe. Then the next person that comes along and saw the banner will post a "trackable confirmed" log which eleminates the attribute and notifies the owner that all is well!

The "trackable confirmed" wouldn't increase your icons, but would serve in the same way that most people are taking the discover logs by letting the owner know that their bug is okay.

If "trackable confirmed" doesn't seem like a good idea, then I think that the discover logs should be done away with and if an owner wants to know about their trackable then someone can just post a note.

What does everyone else think about this?

Edited by Super_Nate

I'm sorry, I don't really see the point. The discovered log serves the purpose of letting a bug owner know the status (if someone logs it) and let's bug hunters play their game as well. The only thing I can see this doing is letting bug owners be in control of when their bugs can be discovered.

Putting on my bug owner hat now....

If I want to know the status of my bugs that are in someones hands, I email them and ask them. Has worked well so far. If it shows as being in a cache, I'll just wait for it to move, be discovered, or I'll email the cache owner or post a note on the cache page for someone to check on it. Hasn't been that big of an issue for me.

But it does make me wonder (and perhaps this is what you're getting at to begin with) if a TBAPB (Travel Bug All Points Bulletin) or some other named log entry type for bugs could be made available. An owner could post it and that would make an icon show up on the cache page in the TB inventory or holder's account page (or send an email?) asking for a status update. Hmm.

I think that the concern in the TB forum was that many bugs are being discovered but not moved. Some people play the game to collect pretty icons and then some of us will only log a bug if we move it to a new cache. I'm fine either way - to each their own game. However, when looking at my logs or logs of friends or whatever, it is currently difficult to distinguish between people who have helped alot of bugs along their way and those who discover them. One suggestion, that I really like, is to add a feature on the cachers page that lists the total number of miles that they have moved bugs. Then, it will be easy to compare. Another suggestion was to add a new column - the discovered bugs vs. moved bugs. All the pretty icons would remain in place, but it would be easy to tell the difference. And, I don't want to compare to compete (except with my sister) but just out of curiosity. On the other hand, would competing to move bugs more miles than the other guy be such a bad thing? May help the bugs move more... Just a thought.

Some TBs are just more appealing and get picked up fast from caches--for a variety of reasons (easier to fit in any container, have a clear goal attached, just too darn cute, etc).

Some bugs will sit in a cache a lot longer than others. I think that the new discover feature adds logs to the TBs that sit, without causing them any other harm. In fact, the cache owner, or someone watching that cache, might eventually get tired of seeing logs that say "Discovered plain brown wrapper bug in x cache" and go move the TB to another cache.

I think that some TB owners are mistaken in their belief that the bug would get moved if it weren't possible to discover it. I know I recently saw a note compaining about a bug that had been in a cache less than two weeks and already had five discover logs on it. I've had TBs sit in a cache for months with no log at all. I'd much rather get the occaisional log that says it was discovered than just wonder if it's still there.

I don't see the point for another way to log tbs. Found/moved/dropped it and discovered are enough, and some people are'nt sure how to do that!

As a bug owner, I like the discovered option so I know if the bug is in a cache even if it was'nt moved. I would like to see them move, but at least I know it's still in the cache even if its for a while. I've even had coins move from cache to cache with the same person and thats fine by me. I've had them discovered while in one persons hands or at events. As long as the bug or coin is still active, I see it as a good thing, no matter the move or someone just looking for an Icon.

Just my opinion.

The Discover option has its roots in being able to log coins without having to 'retrieve and drop' just to log them. That's fine; you crazy kids do whatever you want with those coins.

Travel bugs have been out there for how long? Well, drop and retrieve was never really a big issue for TB's because mostly either you moved them or you didn't. Point whores had to work for their TB stats even if they didn't actually move the bug.

Now we have the Discover option for TBs. People put their hands on their hearts, look me in the eye and say, 'I couldn't move it, but I wanted the Bug owner to know it's still there.'

Yeeeah, uh-huh. That's very... nice of you.

Anyhoo, as for this status quo, I don’t believe it applies to Travel Bugs. Did we really need a Discover option? Did it fix anything in regards to TBs? Is it helping now?

I say it helped logging geocoins, definitely but I don’t think it should have been applied to Travel Bugs. If I had to pick an upgrade for TBs, it sure wouldn’t have been to be able to log them without moving them.

Does any Travel Bug owner want that option for their Travel bugs?

Yes I’m sure there are owners who are happy that somebody logged a Discover on their bugs. But if it wasn’t an option would you have ASKED for it?

Sorry, gotta go fix dinner. I’ll continue my rant later.

edit: they/there

Edited by BlueDeuce

Interesting idea Super_Nate. But I don't think flagging a travel bug will really make anyone want to go out and find a travel bug. If finding a long forgotten TB would increase the icon_smile.gif count then I'm sure that people would be racing to find long forgotten TB's or holding TB's for a long time before logging them just to get an extra icon_smile.gif.

If I pick up a bug to move it, I will log either a "grab" or a "retrieve," depending on how and where I picked it up.

If I want to record a bug in my statistics without moving it, I will log a "discovered." I did this once, with a geocacher's personal travel bug at an event, at his request. I liked how easy it was.

If I want to let a bug owner know their bug is safe and sound, but for some reason I don't want to move it, I will log a "note." It's simple and doesn't even require that I write down the tracking number.

I cannot think of any situations that aren't covered by "grab," "retrieve," "discover" and "note."

I don't think people see the main idea that I am wanting for this feature idea....but that is okay, I'm not going to pursue it much more.

I think the discover log was established for those who logged coins mainly so that coins in bulk didn't show up in your inventory. I personally don't agree with that logic, and I was trying to come up with another idea that coin/bug owners could track the status of their trackable without others getting pointless icons.

I don't think people see the main idea that I am wanting for this feature idea....but that is okay, I'm not going to pursue it much more.

I think the discover log was established for those who logged coins mainly so that coins in bulk didn't show up in your inventory. I personally don't agree with that logic, and I was trying to come up with another idea that coin/bug owners could track the status of their trackable without others getting pointless icons.

Just get rid of the Discover option for TBs and leave it for coins would be my vote.

Just get rid of the Discover option for TBs and leave it for coins would be my vote.

THERE YOU GO....You just hit it on the nailhead.

If their has to be the "discover" log, then it should be on coins. I see discovering travel bugs to be pointless.

THERE YOU GO....You just hit it on the nailhead.

If their has to be the "discover" log, then it should be on coins. I see discovering travel bugs to be pointless.

But it isn't pointless. At least not to everyone. As has been noted previously, there are uses for the discovered log type in relation to TB's whether you choose to use it that way or not.

Yeah, I'd prefer my bugs moved (according to their goals), but if a bug hunter plays for logging bugs, I'd rather get 1 discovered log then have either found it and dropped it logs in the cache it's already in or to have the bug moved counter to its goal just so the bug hunter can play his game. I'd also like to get an occasional discovered log to know the bug is still where it says it is if it seems to be stuck in a cache. If no one either no one chooses to move it or cannot move it towards it's goal it at least lets me know the bug is alive and well.

Of course, not everyone wants to get these logs emailed to them so maybe the real asnwer here is that email notification should be made a selectable feature by bug and coin by log type.

But it isn't pointless. At least not to everyone. As has been noted previously, there are uses for the discovered log type in relation to TB's whether you choose to use it that way or not.

Yeah, I'd prefer my bugs moved (according to their goals), but if a bug hunter plays for logging bugs, I'd rather get 1 discovered log then have either found it and dropped it logs in the cache it's already in or to have the bug moved counter to its goal just so the bug hunter can play his game. I'd also like to get an occasional discovered log to know the bug is still where it says it is if it seems to be stuck in a cache. If no one either no one chooses to move it or cannot move it towards it's goal it at least lets me know the bug is alive and well.

Of course, not everyone wants to get these logs emailed to them so maybe the real asnwer here is that email notification should be made a selectable feature by bug and coin by log type.

A stick in the eye isn't pointless either.

I’m not aware that there was a request for an option to alert owners that we found their bug. Perhaps bug owners said that logging was too hard for people? Don't think so.

It was for coins.

Email? Still get them regardless of the logging option.

edit: added the word: was

Edited by BlueDeuce

Well, I don't read every thread, much less memorize them. However, I do recall that there was much discussion about logging found-it/dropped logs for bugs when they aren't really moving. This covered regular bugs, coins, personal bugs, and even folks that wear bugs or have bugs attached to their dogs, cars, etc. The discovered log was also in answer to that.

My thought of the emailing option was that if the owners didn't want to receive emails for discovered logs, they could have the option of turning them off. Wouldn't stop the logging, but would keep you from getting the emails.

Yes, the write note does work fine for contacting the owner (and I didn't realize you didn't need the tracking number - thanks!), but for those who want to log having seen Snoogans' dog's TB, the OCB, or whatever, writing a note won't cut it.

I guess I just don't understand the down side of having the DL type. But that's cool, I don't have to! :D Anyhoo, it's time I got to work.

Well, I don't read every thread, much less memorize them. However, I do recall that there was much discussion about logging found-it/dropped logs for bugs when they aren't really moving. This covered regular bugs, coins, personal bugs, and even folks that wear bugs or have bugs attached to their dogs, cars, etc. The discovered log was also in answer to that.

Okay, I'll buy into that. I completely forgot about the people who attach TB's to things other than sizeable objects that move along through caches. Yes, the discover log does work for that and their is really no real way that you can get around logging those without discovering.

My thought of the emailing option was that if the owners didn't want to receive emails for discovered logs, they could have the option of turning them off. Wouldn't stop the logging, but would keep you from getting the emails. For those who want to log having seen Snoogans' dog's TB, the OCB, or whatever, writing a note won't cut it.

With that said, then if your trackable is such that it moves through caches then in my opinion the discover log should be turned off and the "trackable confirmed" option be turned on. If your trackable is something that is part of a geocoin collection, attached to dogs, humans, cars etc., then the "trackable confirmed" be turned off and discover be turned on for people who want free icons.

If that sounded confusing sorry, maybe someone else can explain what I am trying to get at a little better. I'm just saying that I own a traveling coin, and I already have had some people who have discovered it. I don't personally believe in free icons, and I feel that icons should only be earned if you actually move the bug/coin!

Yes, the write note does work fine for contacting the owner (and I didn't realize you didn't need the tracking number - thanks!)

No you don't need the tracking number for posting notes....that must have been something that they just turned on receintly turned on because I wasn't able to do that before. (I had to try just now)

edit - for grammer errors

Edited by Super_Nate