question regarding mutli's

MREAGLEWO1

I am planning to place a multi cache/puzzle tomorrow. How far or close does the stages have to be? For an example, if i say you must go to a plaque to see the date or message on it, then the next stage should be how far away?

Can it be driving distance; town and to the neighboring town?

thanks

Going by the guidelines on the website, each cache has to be .10 miles from each other, but says nothing regarding the distance between stages of a multi (or at least I didn't see it), on how close or how far. I think the usually is walking distance, but if you are going to make it driving distance between stages, I would mention that on the cache page so people know before they even think about searching for it, just to be nice. Or be an evil cache hider and not say anything, which sometimes can be more fun :laughing::o

You can have the stages as close as you want,as long as the reviewer knows the begining and the end.

It won't hurt to let them know where the rest are though.

I have a four stage multi in a small park near my home ,and each stage is less than a hundred yards away from the next.

You say

"For an example, if i say you must go to a plaque to see the date or message on it, then the next stage should be how far away? "

It could be only feet, to another plaque or something similar like a park bench or a sign.

You could create a multi in your living room,if you left a clue to the next stage in each container LOL.

Edited by olbluesguy

I've done multis where I had to drive to each stage, I've had some that were within walking distance of each other and the last multi I did was some of each. That was a first! I jotted down the coords, thinking to myself that they weren't too far off. We went back to the car to enter them into the GPS (it was a very windy day, didn't want to stand outside doing it). Hubby started driving away as I'm entering them - they're like 200 feet away! LOL I learned to go ahead and enter the coords before moving off. :P

I wouldn't expect that information to be included in the cache page but don't see anything with putting it there if you wanted to.

This should clear up some of the information provided here:

1. Stages can be as close or as far as you would like them to be
  2. Provide all stage coordinates to your reviewer, not just the start & finish
  3. Each of your stages should be at least .1 from any other cache (or stage of cache)
  4. Stages that have an informational component (numbers off a sign, etc.) are considered stages as if a cache container were placed there. These are affected by the .1 guideline and coords should be given to your reviewer.

If you have a question, don't hesitate to contact your reviewer for help.

This should clear up some of the information provided here:

1. Stages can be as close or as far as you would like them to be
  2. Provide all stage coordinates to your reviewer, not just the start & finish
  3. Each of your stages should be at least .1 from any other cache (or stage of cache)
  4. Stages that have an informational component (numbers off a sign, etc.) are considered stages as if a cache container were placed there. These are affected by the .1 guideline and coords should be given to your reviewer.

If you have a question, don't hesitate to contact your reviewer for help.

Thanks quiggle, I am off to plott the coordinates.

And don't forget to use the additional waypoints feature to add the waypoints of eache stage. It will speed the review process and also give you a record of the coordinates for each stage on the cache page. That way you don't have to worry about accidently deleting them from your GPS or losing the piece of paper you wrote them down on.

Though its optional at the moment, many reviewers are strongly urging the use of additonal waypoints for multis and puzzle caches.

And don't forget to use the additional waypoints feature to add the waypoints of eache stage. It will speed the review process and also give you a record of the coordinates for each stage on the cache page. That way you don't have to worry about accidently deleting them from your GPS or losing the piece of paper you wrote them down on.

Though its optional at the moment, many reviewers are strongly urging the use of additonal waypoints for multis and puzzle caches.

Excellent point, Brian.

Using this script in Firefox it's quite easy. Here is my text for caches that don't have additional waypoints added, with a brief tutorial on how to enter them (if you're not using the automated script):

Hello!

Thank you for your cache submission, it will be listed on geocaching.com. If you have not done so already, please be sure to add hidden waypoints for any intermediate stages and the final stage of your cache. This will help you keep track of the final stage coordinates as well as help reviewers better check any other caches that may be placed in the area. If you choose the hidden option, it will allow only you and admin to see it, so the hide will not be spoiled.

You can access the additional waypoints feature in the navigation section at the top right of the cache page.

1. Sign in to your account on Geocaching.com

2. Display your cache page

3. There is a Navigation section at the top right of the cache page where a "waypoints" link will be seen; click on that link.

4. First, you may choose a waypoint type - Final Location, Parking Area, Question to Answer, Stages of a Multicache, and Trailhead.

4a. For a complex cache, you could have entries for the parking area, trailhead, questions to answer, stages of a multicache, as well as the final location.

4b. For a traditional cache, you might want to enter the parking area and/or the trailhead.

4c. For a puzzle/mystery cache or a multicache, it will be necessary to make an entry for each stage and for the final cache location.

5. After choosing a waypoint type, you may enter a name for it. This can simply be parking, stage one, stage two, final, or whatever you choose.

6. Next is an entry field for a waypoint lookup code. As it says on the Waypoint Collection page, STAGE1 or FINAL are good names for the lookup code. You may use anything you want, but each entry must be unique - you cannot have two waypoints with STAGE1 as the lookup code.

7. After that there is an entry field for a prefix code. Unless you have something special in mind, you can just use AA for the first waypoint entry, AB for the second one, etc.

8. Next are the entry fields for the waypoint coordinates, which are completed in the same manner as the coordinate entries on the edit cache page.

9. Finally, there are three choices for how the waypoint should be displayed.

9a. Show all information for this waypoint, including coordinates - this should be chosen for parking waypoints, trailheads, and in those cases where the geocacher is being sent to a location to gather information or to answer a question that may be required to determine the final cache location.

9b. Show the details of this waypoint but hide the coordinates - I do not have a good example for this choice.

9c. Hide this waypoint from view except by the owner or administrator - this should be chosen for intermediate stages of a multicache or a mystery/puzzle cache, as well as for the final cache location.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again!

For now I will also help them enter the stages if necessary, but it is helpful for everyone to learn to do it in case it becomes required at some point. But as you said, it's a huge help to have the coordinates stored on the cache page (hidden from view), rather than on slips of paper, in your GPS (where they can be deleted), etc.

Quiggle

Edited by Quiggle

Oh, Mark. That has to be at least .2 from your home! :P Hee hee hee.

Mr. Eagle, I did one multi that had stages five miles apart (by GPS). (Would have been nice if the owner had warned us about that.) Another that were 175 feet apart. Then, there's BrianSnat's Drive in the Country. A rather linear multi covering somewhere near nine miles of driving from first stage to last. (And a great cache!)

Oh, Mark. That has to be at least .2 from your home! :P Hee hee hee.

Mr. Eagle, I did one multi that had stages five miles apart (by GPS). (Would have been nice if the owner had warned us about that.) Another that were 175 feet apart. Then, there's BrianSnat's Drive in the Country. A rather linear multi covering somewhere near nine miles of driving from first stage to last. (And a great cache!)

5 miles apart? Now that is mean if it was without warning. Mine is within a mile each stage.

Too late, someone already did that! I was second to find!

Darn,

Actually it was 24 feet from my house!

December 17, 2004 by avroair (1192 found)

N 41° 02.297 W 074° 30.786

[Found it! And picked it up! So don't come looking for it! Located in a new spot. PLEASE BE DISCREET!!!]Uvag: Fznyyrfg sve gerr ba gur raq, va sebag bs gur gnax. Ybbx hc[This entry was edited by avroair on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 12:12:33 PM.] (decrypt)

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

December 16, 2004 by dhenninger (835 found)

Found it! I knew I was here at least once before, and I even thought of hiding a cache here myself :) Nice hide KBer! I did not move the cache. For one, I probibly can't rehide in a timely manner. Thanks for the cache. Took Nothing, left TB

[view this log on a separate page]

December 13, 2004 by KBer (1150 found)

I sent the new coordinates to CCCooperAgency so that she can post them onto the web site.

Please do not trespass.

Driving Miss D...

Too late, someone already did that! I was second to find!

Darn,

Actually it was 24 feet from my house!

December 17, 2004 by avroair (1192 found)

N 41° 02.297 W 074° 30.786

[Found it! And picked it up! So don't come looking for it! Located in a new spot. PLEASE BE DISCREET!!!]Uvag: Fznyyrfg sve gerr ba gur raq, va sebag bs gur gnax. Ybbx hc[This entry was edited by avroair on Saturday, December 18, 2004 at 12:12:33 PM.] (decrypt)

[view/edit logs/images on a separate page]

December 16, 2004 by dhenninger (835 found)

Found it! I knew I was here at least once before, and I even thought of hiding a cache here myself :laughing: Nice hide KBer! I did not move the cache. For one, I probibly can't rehide in a timely manner. Thanks for the cache. Took Nothing, left TB

[view this log on a separate page]

December 13, 2004 by KBer (1150 found)

I sent the new coordinates to CCCooperAgency so that she can post them onto the web site.

Please do not trespass.

Driving Miss D...

so it was told to be archived by Groundspeak since was it ordered to be archived due to it being a moving cache?