New Icon "Mega-Cache"?

radioscout

It seems that many cachers love the new cache icons like the "mega event". How about a new one for a "mega cache"? If a cache gets more than for example 250 logs, it gets a modified icon showing this special status of that cache.

There hasn't been much favorable word from TPTB on special cache icons.

I personally LOVE the idea of cache achievement icons, but until the MAJORITY of cachers demand it, I doubt much work will be directed toward it.

People want to visit old or geohistoric caches and a special icon would do those folks a favor.

I rather would have some kind of recognizer for quality caches,

That would be the online logs. If it takes a minute or MORE to read most of the logs on a cache, there just mayyy be sumthin' to it.

If the majority of the logs go something like, "TNLNTFTC," you can bet it's just another cache to log a smiley on. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

It seems that many cachers love the new cache icons like the "mega event". How about a new one for a "mega cache"? If a cache gets more than for example 250 logs, it gets a modified icon showing this special status of that cache.

Well, the idea of a special icon for a MegaCache or SuperCache sounds a bit interestng, but the proposal to use a high count of logged finds as the primary criteria for determning "Meganess" seems to me to be ridiculous and laughable, as is demonstrated by the fact that many lame urban micros -- simply and only due to their presence in a densely-populated urban or suburban center and their near-instant "park and grab" accesibility -- often exhibit a far higher find count than really high-quality interesting caches which challenge the seeker in many ways.

My most-found cache is an urban micro along a scenic riverwalk in dowtown Pittsburgh. It gets a lot of traffic from visitors to the nearby Convention Center or other tourists visiting the area. It provides a scenic view, and it's well-hidden. Yet, while not a Wal Mart lamp post cache, there is nothing "Mega" about this cache. My *best* cache is a tough multicache hike that sees one or two finds in a good month. The micro is not on anybody's "favorite caches" list, though it has 178 finds, and the multicache appears on several, though it's only been found 62 times in four years plus.

It is my belief that "favorite caches" bookmark lists like this one provide a valid basis for tagging a cache in some special way. Something like a banner or a special icon (like the Members only indicator or the travel bug/geocoin indicator) saying "This cache appears on 5 or more Favorites Lists." You want a truly "Mega" cache? Try something like Ebey Bluffs, which appears on more than a dozen Favorite Caches lists. But reward it because it is a superb location... NOT because it has 291 finds on it.

If every premium member were given a special Favorites List, with different programming attributes like their Ignore List, this idea could work. If I recall correctly, Jeremy and Raine seemed receptive to such an idea.

EDIT to add: this should not be a special cache type, but rather an additional attribute or flag. A "Mega" good quality cache can be a multi, a puzzle, a traditional, etc.

Edited by The Leprechauns

When I saw the OP first log, I thought the idea was a good one......but good points were made in this thread that I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here. A MEGACACHE should be something Vinny & Sue Team hides.....those caches will never get hit that often, but they are some of the most rewarding caches on earth. I wouldn't want to see that blasted beat-up lamppost cache in the wal-mart parking lot get a new icon because it has more than 250 finders. Heck, those new icons are supposed to be special caches.

I think that it would be if every premium member were given the ability to designate 5% of their finds as "Exceptional Geocaches"...

TPTB could give geocaches a special designation or icon if:

1) the geocache received either a given number of votes (20, 30, 100, etc.) as an "Exceptional Geocache"

2) some set percentage of finders voted the geocache as being exceptional (20%, 50%, etc.)

As Lep mentioned, this has been talked about before, but I think that it would be a really cool feature...

Jamie

Edited by NFA

What useful information would such an icon actually give me?

Only that this cache has been logged very often. Like a mega event. 500 or more cachers attending the event does not indicate that it is a high quality event.

There is a dicussion on "what is a quality cache" in the non-english speaking part of this forum. Result: no criteria for the quality of a cache that can be accepted by a majority of cachers was found.

Example: I thought that every cacher likes large cache containers. But there are many cachers who like micro caches because large boxes are to easy to be found.

What useful information would such an icon actually give me?

Only that this cache has been logged very often. Like a mega event. 500 or more cachers attending the event does not indicate that it is a high quality event.

There is a dicussion on "what is a quality cache" in the non-english speaking part of this forum. Result: no criteria for the quality of a cache that can be accepted by a majority of cachers was found.

Example: I thought that every cacher likes large cache containers. But there are many cachers who like micro caches because large boxes are to easy to be found.

Somehow its more trustworthy when it says an event has over 500 visitors. Because if an event is totally newe, would it then atract 500 people? I don't think so. Most of the time these will be events that are being held for the xth time and therefor you can assume its a quality event, otherwise not so many people would come to visit it.

Greetz Kapitein Haak.

I see no point to a 'megacache' icon especially when the criteria cited is something as dismal as 'number of logs' I feel a more valid icon would be for historic caches. Whereas, these may not be 'mega' the oldest cache in each state, (or region, or country), or caches placed in 2000 could be 'historic icons'

Something like this:

74c45748-e203-4af1-b0c3-1e56886dd7ed.jpg