Mapsource questions

gpsblake

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2612117

First of all, is this is a good price?

Will this work with the Legend-C? (not the Cx) or do I have to use the older version?

How many GPSr's can I load maps to? (I think it's two)

How does it compare as a PC program to Delorme Street Atlas?

Walmart.com also has Mapsource Topo for 75 bucks.

Thanks so much.... I tried searching for answers, seems to be some contradictory information.

I think it's high and it's an outdated program. I have had it for years.

Make sure your GPS accepts maps.Some one here might be able to answer that. Also Garmin.com will tell you if it accepts maps.

You should be able to find the newer City Navigator versions out now for a bit more. Or even CitySelect would be newer. Also there are guys with used one's that will sell them on ebay I might think or here in Groundspeak that would be good. If you can't auto route with the gps but the latest info with address,POI,etc. would be usable.

You have a choice to load the maps with route calulation or not so you can save space with CN or CS.

Topo is ok if your off road alot. But it doesn't have good road info. Most have both programs which can be loaded into the unit at once.

Both Metroguide and Topo don't need Unlocking so it can be used in as many GPS's ,PC's as you have.

When you do get something go to Garmin.com and update Mapsource and gps with the latest updates which are free.

Edited by capt caper

I personally wouldn't bother. It's an outdated product, and the Legend C will display the maps but not autoroute. I'd rather spend the extra money and go for City Select or City Navigator (v8) whihc are more up to date and the C will autoroute with. Plus Topo for off road stuff.

I personally wouldn't bother. It's an outdated product, and the Legend C will display the maps but not autoroute. I'd rather spend the extra money and go for City Select or City Navigator (v8) whihc are more up to date and the C will autoroute with. Plus Topo for off road stuff.

It's not outdated, it's just the non-autorouting version of City Navigator, so to speak. It's intended for those Garmin units that can hold maps, but not auto route, like the Etrex line of Legends and Vistas (without the X at the end), but it works on all Garmin handheld models and probably dashmounts as well, it just won't auto route. But, plugged into a laptop and GPS, the software will auto-route on the computer.

Will this work with the Legend-C? (not the Cx) or do I have to use the older version?

Thanks so much.... I tried searching for answers, seems to be some contradictory information.

I live in SoCal.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx.

I talked to Garmin before buying software.

Garmin guy said don't buy Metro, buy City Navigator.

Call them up, they are very nice and helpful.

This unit has a Micro SD. (64 Meg, whoppee)

I had topo.

I bought City Navigator on fleabay $105 + $10 ship. (Sept 14,2006)

I bought 2GB MicroSD card. $90 + $15 ship. All US $

I load the whole West US on city and Topo (over to Colo) and it is about 700mb.

The unit works great. I geocache and download onto it.

I download waypoints from Trails.com.

I drive with it.

Well, no voice or touchscreen but I don't need that hiking.

In the car it beeps right before turn and shows arrows with distance and time before turn.

With WAAS on it is dead nuts on.

Beautiful

I should also say with a little bit of work you can get autorouting on your gps receiver out of metroguide by using a program like Img2gps to upload maps to your receiver, instead of mapsource which strips the routing data from metroguide. Also metroguide has the added bonus of not having to deal with unlock codes and limits on the amount of receivers you can use the maps with, so in some ways this is a way better deal than city navigator.

Edited by hogrod

...I talked to Garmin before buying software.

Garmin guy said don't buy Metro, buy City Navigator...

Well, of course, Garmin is going to recommend to get City Navigator, they make a bigger profit!

C-N is not for everyone. Some folks are completely satisfied with MetroGuide. Now that you know the pros and cons, you can make a more informed decision.

It's not outdated, it's just the non-autorouting version of City Navigator, so to speak. It's intended for those Garmin units that can hold maps, but not auto route, like the Etrex line of Legends and Vistas (without the X at the end), but it works on all Garmin handheld models and probably dashmounts as well, it just won't auto route. But, plugged into a laptop and GPS, the software will auto-route on the computer.

It had no version information on the listing, so it could be outdated :D

The Legend C (without an X) will also auto-route, which the OP has, but not with Metroguide. Hence, if I were the OP, I'd personally buy CN.

It had no version information on the listing, so it could be outdated :laughing:

Since it was on DVD it is either 7 or 8. At that price it is prolly 7.

New for last year, IIRC.

The Legend C (without an X) will also auto-route, which the OP has, but not with Metroguide. Hence, if I were the OP, I'd personally buy CN.

And, as a previous poster notes, Metroguide can be encouraged to send its autorouting information to an autorouting GPSr (and I don't mean the 4.01 version). But only if yer a "geodude", or some kind of "Autorouting MetroGuide Wizard". ("Paging Dr. Google. Paging Dr. Google.") :-)

The lower pricepoint, absence of locks hoop-jumping, and the smaller tilesizes make MG a winner for me.

I live in SoCal.

I have a Garmin GPSMap 60CSx.

I talked to Garmin before buying software. http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/mini-SD/56/2GB.html

Garmin guy said don't buy Metro, buy City Navigator.

Call them up, they are very nice and helpful.

This unit has a Micro SD. (64 Meg, whoppee)

I had topo.

I bought City Navigator on fleabay $105 + $10 ship. (Sept 14,2006)

I bought 2GB MicroSD card. $90 + $15 ship. All US $

I load the whole West US on city and Topo (over to Colo) and it is about 700mb.

The unit works great. I geocache and download onto it.

I download waypoints from Trails.com.

I drive with it.

Well, no voice or touchscreen but I don't need that hiking.

In the car it beeps right before turn and shows arrows with distance and time before turn.

With WAAS on it is dead nuts on.

Beautiful

90 bucks for 2gig card? I am seeing One gig for $25, several different brands brands

http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/mini-SD/56/2GB.html

90 bucks for 2gig card? I am seeing One gig for $25, several different brands brands

http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/mini-SD/56/2GB.html

micro, not mini.

Prices are coming down, but I don't think that $90 for a 2gb microSD a month ago is something to lose sleep over.

And memory prices generally do not scale such that a 2gb on the bleeding edge of a particular format would cost 2x as much as a 1gb.