Benefits of using Goecache options instead of waypoint?

andman

When using a Garmin GPSMAP 60Cx, what are the benefits in using the Geocache options built into the unit opposed to just marking the Geocache as a Waypoint and letting the unit auto-route you to it?

I'm new to caching and trying to understand the basics, thanks!

Is that the only difference?

There are at least two other differences:

(1) If you're in geocaching mode and click "Found" on the compass screen, not only does it change the icon for you, but italso brings up the next-nearest unfound geocache and asks you if you want to find that one next.

(2) On the compass screen, you can toggle back and forth between "Data" and "Notes". "Data" shows the normal geocaching compass screen; "Notes" shows you the 30-character text field associated with that cache. Depending on what you have in there, like possibly the hints for the cache, it could be handy to see it with the click of one button.

How do I get Geocaches from the website (I'm in NJ) and put them on the 60Cx?

Thanks guys!

The easiest way is to become a Premimum Member (I'm saying this a lot lately. I need a commission on sales.) Then you can down load Pocket Queries. With those you use a program like Easy GPS or my favorite GASK. Go to the Resources page from the home page for more information.

El Diablo

Thanks guys!

The easiest way is to become a Premimum Member (I'm saying this a lot lately. I need a commission on sales.) Then you can down load Pocket Queries. With those you use a program like Easy GPS or my favorite GASK. Go to the Resources page from the home page for more information.

El Diablo

So there is no easy or free way? I definitely don't like having to use another piece of software, especially not third party.

I guess I'll just enter the coordinates as a waypoint then.

Edited by andman

The option I appreciate most is the listing on the calender page. I now can see the caches I have found and the order in which they were found (the last find is at the top of the list). This makes it easier to log my finds. I also add notes to each cache page to help me remember the cache and make my logs better.

Thanks guys!

El Diablo

So there is no easy or free way? I definitely don't like having to use another piece of software, especially not third party.

You get what you pay for. Premimum Membership is 30.00 per year. GASK is 30.00 for a one time fee. Both are well worth the cost.

El Diablo

I read this helpful summary somewhere:

Geocaching mode is really just a special way of sorting and keeping track of waypoints. If you load a waypoint with a Geocaching symbol (by default, a closed treasure chest), then that waypoint will appear when you press FIND » 'Geocache' » ENTR. Pressing these keys lists geocache waypoints you have loaded. (By pressing MENU, you can select 'Find by Name' to show all Geocaches in alphabetical order, or 'Find Nearest' to show the nearest 50 Geocaches.) If you select a geocache, and then press 'Goto', the compass page appears, with a special menu at the bottom, showing 'Found', 'Note', and 'Stop'. You can proceed to the cache, and when found, press the 'Found' button. The GPSr will note your find on the GPS calendar, change the symbol to 'found Geocache' (by default, an open treasure chest) and ask if you would like to find the next nearest cache. Pressing the 'Note' button displays the note entered for the waypoint at the top of the screen. The key then changes to 'Data'. Pressing 'Data' restores the compass screen.

The unit must be set to "Off Road" to use Geocaching Mode.

Easy GPS is both easy and free. There's still the matter of downloading the waypoints, which you would want a Premium Membership for.

Here's how I use my 60csx:

1. Create a pocket query for every traditional and multi-cache that I have not yet found within 50 miles of my home coordinates. (I don't include mystery/puzzles because they're usually not located at the posted coordinates anyway, so why bother).

2. Download the pocket query file and open it with Easy GPS. Download them all to the 60csx. Downloaded caches by default have the "Geocache" waypoint icon (closed treasure chest).

3. (I also have a Palm T/X running CacheMate software, and I convert/download the same pocket query file into a Palm database.)

4. Whenever I feel like geocaching, I'll use the GPS to see what geocaches are nearby me (using the Geocaching mode). If I need extra info, I'll look it up on my Palm. I select "Find Geocache" on the 60csx and away I go. I have downloaded city maps, so I use "Follow Road" and have it route me to a nearby parking area.

5. Then I get out of the car and set it to "Off Road" for the rest of the way.

6. When I found the cache, I hit "Found" in the GPS. It changes the icon on the waypoint to an opened treasure chest (geocache found). It also suggests the next-nearest cache for me to find. I look it up on my Palm, hit "Find", and away I go again...

7. Every so often (once every week or two) I will delete all waypoints on my GPS with the "Geocache Found" symbol. This reduces clutter on my map display screen.

You could just subscribe to a premium membership for one month (cost you $3 -- less than a single trip to Starbucks) and create a pocket query for caches nearby you. Download it, load it into the GPS, cancel the membership.

Otherwise, you can type in waypoints yourself, and if you manually select the Geocache icon, your geocaching mode will work just fine.

However, once you get hooked, I bet you'll learn to like having waypoints bulk-downloaded into your GPS. There's something about the 60csx that makes it so easy, so fun, to keep on finding caches, my "throughput" doubled or tripled over this past summer. It's just so convenient to not have to manage paper printouts or sit there typing in coordinates all the time.

Edited by GreyingJay

(2) On the compass screen, you can toggle back and forth between "Data" and "Notes". "Data" shows the normal geocaching compass screen; "Notes" shows you the 30-character text field associated with that cache.

Erm? Ok, I didn't know that one. Going to have to try it out tonight, thanks!

You get what you pay for. Premimum Membership is 30.00 per year. GASK is 30.00 for a one time fee. Both are well worth the cost.

Definitely not worth it, IMO.

GSAK is actually only $20 to register, which removes the nag screen. In point of fact, you can use GSAK for free (per their website) for as long as you want, if the nag screen doesn't bother you. Personally, I consider it one of the better twenty bucks I've spent for entertainment recently.

And the three bucks a month for GC premium membership is laughably trivial for entertainment expenses, considering the improved query abilities it allows.

Definitely not worth it, IMO.

GSAK is actually only $20 to register, which removes the nag screen. In point of fact, you can use GSAK for free (per their website) for as long as you want, if the nag screen doesn't bother you. Personally, I consider it one of the better twenty bucks I've spent for entertainment recently.

And the three bucks a month for GC premium membership is laughably trivial for entertainment expenses, considering the improved query abilities it allows.

It's just not worth it at all. I might do one Geocache this weekend, then maybe one in 2 weeks. Hell, maybe in a few months I might do two in a day.

I don't like third party software and I don't like paying for something thru a third party vendor. Just my opinion, not worth it for my situation.

I seem to remember when I thought I would only do a cache once every couple of weeks or so. That was over 1000 finds ago. You never know how badly the bug will bite you. When it does you might find that premium membership looks a lot better.

I am cheap though and use easy GPS. It loads all 950 cache into my GPS every week.

Once you've collected a lot of Waypoints, searching the GPS (on the road) for a particular one can be a bit tedious. The Geocache waypoints are in a seperate folder, which makes finding one much easier.

Also, make use of "Recent Finds". I delibertly "look" for waypoints in advance of need -- just so I can easily find/set them by looking in Recents.

Why is that? What if the cache is far and you need the GPS to guide you on the road before going offroad?

For the compass page to route you to the cache, you need to be off road. Otherwise it would try to take you to a nearby street, even if the cache were in the opposite direction in the woods.

No problem though, if the cache is far away. I have my unit set to "prompted":

To get the GPSr to prompt you for "Follow Road" or "Off Road" Press MENU » MENU » 'Setup' » ENTR » 'Routing' » ENTR, and set Guidance Method (the first drop down) to "Prompted".

When I highlight a cache that is far away, I select "Follow Road". When the road peters out, from the map page, I hit MENU » 'Recalculate' but this time I hit "Off Road", and the unit goes straight into Geocaching Mode.

More tips in the FAQ linked in my signature line.

It's just not worth it at all. I might do one Geocache this weekend, then maybe one in 2 weeks. Hell, maybe in a few months I might do two in a day.

I don't like third party software and I don't like paying for something thru a third party vendor. Just my opinion, not worth it for my situation.

You'd be surprised. For the better part of a year I was only doing a cache every now and again, just like you planned. But after buying my 60csx it was like my caching 'productivity' went through the roof. Admittedly I still don't need Pocket Query functionality to do so, but it's just cool knowing that I can just go caching on a whim anytime, say if I arrive too early for an appointment somewhere and there's an urban cache 2 blocks away.

As for not liking third party software - I respect your opinion, but surely you don't only use Microsoft-produced software on your PC, or only Apple-produced software on your Mac?

When I highlight a cache that is far away, I select "Follow Road". When the road peters out, from the map page, I hit MENU » 'Recalculate' but this time I hit "Off Road", and the unit goes straight into Geocaching Mode.

This is what I have learned to do as well, the hard way. :laughing: The first few times with my 60csx I wondered why the heck the arrow kept trying to take me AWAY from the cache. It still trips me up occasionally.

What makes it even more confusing is that technically the unit will automatically switch from Follow Road to Off Road when you hit the end of the road, but you have to hit a "magic spot" that the unit tries to navigate you to before it will do so. So, sometimes it will switch over and begin pointing me directly into the woods, and other times I have to make sure to do it myself.

Edited by GreyingJay

As for not liking third party software - I respect your opinion, but surely you don't only use Microsoft-produced software on your PC, or only Apple-produced software on your Mac?

No, but I don't like having to use 2 or 3 other programs from other vendors when I could use one made by the respective vendor (Garmin in this case). I have no reason to take a step down to another program. I am sure you know what I meant, tho.

No, but I don't like having to use 2 or 3 other programs from other vendors when I could use one made by the respective vendor (Garmin in this case). I have no reason to take a step down to another program. I am sure you know what I meant, tho.

Yeah, I wondered if you meant no third-party software at all, or if you meant using other tools to get something done that should ideally have been handled already. Thanks for the clarification.

It should be possible to download .loc files from the Geocaching website which can be uploaded to your GPS via the Garmin software, neither requiring a premium membership nor third-party software.

Why is that? What if the cache is far and you need the GPS to guide you on the road before going offroad?

For the compass page to route you to the cache, you need to be off road. Otherwise it would try to take you to a nearby street, even if the cache were in the opposite direction in the woods.

No problem though, if the cache is far away. I have my unit set to "prompted":

To get the GPSr to prompt you for "Follow Road" or "Off Road" Press MENU » MENU » 'Setup' » ENTR » 'Routing' » ENTR, and set Guidance Method (the first drop down) to "Prompted".

More tips in the FAQ linked in my signature line.

Thanks for the reply!

What about the "Lock On Road" setting in the Map settings page? Should it be on or off?