Cache Idea

Lost Brews

I was thinking of a treasure map cache. It could be considered a multi or a mystery. The first part would be corrdinates to find a treasure map. then you would have to follow the clues on the map to get the parts of the corrdinates. which are placed on magnetic strips. Once you have all the corrdinates you can go to the final stage. the thing that makes the cache difficult is that you have to figure out what certain clues mean on it ect and there are no corrdinates invoved in finding the pieces. Your thoughts.

The main part with this I see.....If somone destorys the map, forgets to put it back, rips it in half on accident, will you be able to replace it in a timely manner?

I also though of somthing like this. I would go to a local state park, have a topo map with points and etc that you have to find, basicly follow the lines using an old school compass. But I am afraid of people not returning the map and I would have to go and pay $5 for a new map each time.

The main part with this I see.....If somone destorys the map, forgets to put it back, rips it in half on accident, will you be able to replace it in a timely manner?

I also though of somthing like this. I would go to a local state park, have a topo map with points and etc that you have to find, basicly follow the lines using an old school compass. But I am afraid of people not returning the map and I would have to go and pay $5 for a new map each time.

I am thinking photo copies of the map.

We a nifty pirate map mystery series of caches while on a vacation. All of the caches were in one park, arranged along a nice hiking loop. There were three large laminated copies of the map in the cache that could be borrowed and returned at the end of the cache (The final was near the beginning, obviously) and/or you could top to pick up a small paper map that could be used to find the cache and then kept as a keepsake (and avoid returning to the first stage, if you preferred). Each was a separate cache, but you had to visit each stage to get the information to find the final "bonus" cache. There were trade items in each container along the way for folks who love to trade.

Another version I've seen was a multi cache where each stage had part of one map. To get the coords for the final, you had to find each stage and collect a small copy of a quarter page of a larger map. Each section had one half of a coordinate on it (Ex: N 35° 1 would be on one page and 3.456 would be on the side that lined up to the right of the first page). The final was "somewhere" within the boundaries of the map, but not near the center--and it had the great trading items.

I had a similar idea (i think the movie "National Treasure" inspired MANY).

I would put a sticker with a number on it in another cacher's existing cache, with no explanation at all as to what the number is for.

The main cache page would have had a series of clues and simple maps that would lead to the existing caches- if you figured out their relevance.

You put all the numbers together and go for the final.

I got as far as permission from other cache owners to use their caches for the clues, I dropped the project because I considered the time and travel to be too much for people that would seek it. The silly thing would have taken 100 miles of driving if you could calculate the most direct routes. Hooray for the oil companies if you misinterpreted a clue here and there. :P

Go for it.