Replacement tag?

thunderbird30

I recently bought a geocoin and released it into the wild.It managed to travel the grand distance of 133 miles before some lowlife decided to trash the cache that it was in and steal it. :mad:

As I've still got the tracking number for it,I'm planning to release something else with a tag that has my original coin tracking number on it,so that my 'coin' can live to travel again.... :D

Has anyone got any links or designs that I would be able to use please? I'm not the most gifted person when it comes to artwork or graphic design!

Thanks for any help,

Thunderbird30

You could get someone else withe the same type of coin to take a photo for you, print it, stick it to both sides of a suitably sized washer, laminate it (careful about the thickness), and send it out as a replica coin.

I think there are people who do this with their coins anyway so that they don't lose the original.

I recently bought a geocoin and released it into the wild.It managed to travel the grand distance of 133 miles before some lowlife decided to trash the cache that it was in and steal it. :mad:

As I've still got the tracking number for it,I'm planning to release something else with a tag that has my original coin tracking number on it,so that my 'coin' can live to travel again.... :D

Has anyone got any links or designs that I would be able to use please? I'm not the most gifted person when it comes to artwork or graphic design!

Thanks for any help,

Thunderbird30

what type of coin was it?

Did read in the forums (somewhere, can't remember where) that there's a cacher in America that sends out TB's that are drawings with the TB tracking number on.

He's lost a lot of TB's (rough area!) in the past so now sends out laminated drawings that can be tracked with the TB number. If/when they go missing, he waits a while, then sends out another 'new' drawing TB.

Possibly a laminated picture of the coin, with a note to say the original went missing?

G

If you have a good phot of the coin (both sides) it is possible to buy a circular Photo keyring, put on both photos of the coin and it should look reaaly good. It would also be nicer to find than just a laminated picture, I did see a photo on these forums of one someone did a while back as they didn't want to lose any more real ones

This discussion has come up in the past, usually as a result of people not wanting to take the risk of releasing their coins into the outside world. There does seem to be an adverse reaction to a laminated picture of a geocoin, some people get all worked up about it. I admit I have been somewhat underwhelmed when I have found such a surrogate.

What I would suggest is to create a tag with the coin number (and perhaps image) using one of those clear plastic keyrings as already suggested, or get a pet tag engraved, but then to attach it to something Yorkshire-y, to keep the Yorkshire them up, so it is basically like a regular TB but the tracking number is from a coin and you get a nice icon for logging it. Finally, I would name the 'coin' in such as way so that it was obvious it was a replacement. You know, it was even suggested in these forums that icon hunters might suffer from coin rage if they discovered that the geocoin they were persuing was not the pukka item!! :mad: