Geocoin Club Forums Virus

AtlantaGal

So who else got whacked?

I thought it was yahoo and the new flash embeded spyware that took down my desktop pc, but I think it was the geocoin club's forums that got me since I went from yahoo to it. It's been a nightmare to cleanup and my desktop still isn't fully functional because the new version of Norton AV is a huge resource hog with the settings I had to activate to prevent this from happening again. Took us about 12 hours to remove all the crap. It wouldn't have taken that long except Cymbaline had an extra asterisk in the DOS command line and wiped out a portion of Windows in the process. The pc is clean now, but I need to buy more memory to be able to run it normally, sigh.

So who else got whacked?

I thought it was yahoo and the new flash embeded spyware that took down my desktop pc, but I think it was the geocoin club's forums that got me since I went from yahoo to it. It's been a nightmare to cleanup and my desktop still isn't fully functional because the new version of Norton AV is a huge resource hog with the settings I had to activate to prevent this from happening again. Took us about 12 hours to remove all the crap. It wouldn't have taken that long except Cymbaline had an extra asterisk in the DOS command line and wiped out a portion of Windows in the process. The pc is clean now, but I need to buy more memory to be able to run it normally, sigh.

You should try Avast...

Its free and not nearly the system hog that NAV is

Try going to their forums, they took them offline because of the malicious trojan. They have a note on the page stating as much.

What happened was, I clicked the forum link from the main geocoin club homepage. The page loaded 1/2 way then froze. Within 2 minutes my resources were about gone, I had about 10 extra rogue programs running which were replicting themselves and launching my modem. I quickly relized what was happening and did ctrl alt del to restart. Once I restarted, I could see all the damage. I shut down the computer, pulled out the laptop and began researching the virus/shareware/trojan that had gotten it's claws into a lot of Windows areas. It was a varrient of vxgame. Most of the major virus hubs don't know what it is exactly. I got most of my info on it through Sun.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I noticed something was weird the other day on that forum. It looked like it wanted to download something, but I shut the window. I've done my normal virus scan, is there something else I should look for? My PC seems to be operating fine.

I think you would know if you were infected. If you do ctrl-alt-del can you see what's currently running on your machine? If yes, do that and look for anything with "game" in it. It was easy enough to see on mine cause on start up, I only have 4 things load.

I wasn't even asked about a download. The screen froze and the junk was on my computer before I realized what had happened.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I noticed something was weird the other day on that forum. It looked like it wanted to download something, but I shut the window. I've done my normal virus scan, is there something else I should look for? My PC seems to be operating fine.

I think you would know if you were infected. If you do ctrl-alt-del can you see what's currently running on your machine? If yes, do that and look for anything with "game" in it. It was easy enough to see on mine cause on start up, I only have 4 things load.

I wasn't even asked about a download. The screen froze and the junk was on my computer before I realized what had happened.

What web browser are you using AG if you are using IE you might want to go into your IE settings and have it prompt you on Active X controllers. Using Opera the settings to Disable Active X and Plugin Installation is very simple.