Pictures of containers?

Zeet959

Im'relatively new and want to know if anyone out there has a site or is there a place on geocaching.com to see what the different containers look like? Someone asked me if it was a Buffalo capsule I found. I had no clue what one of those looked like so I kinda looked like a dear in the Headlights! :blink:

I wish there was a way to make people photo the containers before they hide it and put it in the gallery of the chache's page. Then the newbies like me would know what they were looking for! Just an idea!

<_<

Edited by Zeet959

An interesting thought, but I'm guessing that a lot of cache hiders will often decline to snap a pic of their container. In fact, I've found that a LOT of the hides I've found have really been enhanced by having to guess the type of container in use.

Conversely, I know that some hiders appreciate you posting pictures of their cache after you find them as long as you label the picture and description with a "SPOILER:" warning. It seems it helps them monitor the condition of their cache if they're not able to physically do so as often as they would like. Each hider is different though.

Now, as a "same, but different" aside to your post, I think it would be super-cool to have a reference page showing pictures of an assortment of most common cache container types. That would help a great deal, but wouldn't take the fun out of having to guess which type is in use on the particular cache you're hunting.

One particular cache type that gave us fits was a micro that was essentially a very small zip-loc bag (1.5" X 3") that was covered with camouflaged duct tape. Had just enough room for a flat, folded piece of log paper. Being that it was flat, it was easy to tuck behind signs and such.

If we'd have seen one of these as a "possible" container type, we would have found that first one of this type much faster.

i've found 2 mr. magnetos, both were challenging finds once you got to ground zero. The second one, it took me 2 trips before I got it. The first trip, I was searching the spot for over an hour trying to figure out where the heck it was, went home, thought about it for a few days, got a hint that it was magnetic, next time I was over in that neck of the woods, I found it within 1 minute.

Are you saying that these things blink, like an mini beacon?
They're called "blinkers" (or "blinkies") because they used to blink. They are the battery compartment for electronic blinking novelties (jewelry, refrigerator magnets, etc.). There is usually a rare-earth magnet attached to them that is used to stick the blinking novelty to things. Remove the battery compartment from the novelty, remove the battery from the battery compartment, and stick a small scroll of paper (about the size of a large watch battery) in the battery compartment: That's a common nano cache container.