How do I get someone interested in geocaching

MarKat

I'm new to geocaching. My boyfriend has accompanied me on a couple hunts. But doesn't seem to really enjoy it. I'm not quite ready to give up and concede that it is an hobby we won't be able to share. Anyone have ideas about sparking his interest. I'm wondering if a really cool cache location would peke his interest. Like some cool spot that you possibly would only know about from geocaching. We live in puget sound area- so somewhere within a couple hours drive. But unfortunately hike can't be too long - less than 4 miles round trip.

Thanks!

Hi Markat!

I understand your dilemma! My husband is into golf. :P

While he thinks my geocaching is cool, he really is not "into" it. He has done probably 25 of "our" 450 finds. So, I go with our four year old. This limits me a bit to urban caches and shorter hikes or drivebys, but it has worked out okay, and as she gets older it will give us an excuse to take longer hikes in the outdoors. One of my favorite things about caching is the wow factor of a location. We went to Sun Top on Sunday, husband included, and he really enjoyed himself because of the great location. That one, by the way, is about 1 1/2 drive from Seattle out 410, if you are interested. So I guess my advice to you would be to look for locations that he will enjoy, and maybe the thrill of the hunt will come, or to find a caching buddy. I would volunteer myself, but I understand some folks adversions to preschoolers! For an ADULT caching buddy :P , check out the events. I have been to a couple, and folks are friendly and willing to help out newbies. I know there's a WSGA meeting in Federal Way on the 21st, and several events upcoming.

Good luck! And you know what, it's okay to have separate interests! :angry:

Edited by WATreasureHunters

I'm new to geocaching. My boyfriend has accompanied me on a couple hunts. But doesn't seem to really enjoy it. I'm not quite ready to give up and concede that it is an hobby we won't be able to share. Anyone have ideas about sparking his interest. I'm wondering if a really cool cache location would peke his interest. Like some cool spot that you possibly would only know about from geocaching. We live in puget sound area- so somewhere within a couple hours drive. But unfortunately hike can't be too long - less than 4 miles round trip.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Geocaching isn't for everybody. Even though my wife has come with me a few times, her interest was for the walk and not the hunt. Turn the hunt into a picnic or something like that and you'll probably have as good a time without him being interested in the specific hobby per se while you get a passing chance to look for the cache as a sidebar.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Geocaching isn't for everybody. Even though my wife has come with me a few times, her interest was for the walk and not the hunt. Turn the hunt into a picnic or something like that and you'll probably have as good a time without him being interested in the specific hobby per se while you get a passing chance to look for the cache as a sidebar.

Pack in a bottle of wine (or a few beers), have a little "afternoon delight", and he'll be hooked :tired: .

Thanks!

It depends on what you are looking for as to how I would respond to this. Do you really want him to share in your hobby and experience, or just to come along with you and enjoy his experience?

For us, its a family team, but only very infrequently do we cache as a family. Most of the time its me and one or both of the kids. Mama Cita comes along to all of the events, and if we do caches on the way to somewhere she is interested in going, she comes along, but otherwise not. That's cool for us.

For us, its a shared experience thing. We try and add something into our adventures to appeal to everyone. Is there something your boyfriend likes doing that you could mix into your own adventures to allow it to be a joint adventure?

Just suggestions,

Poppa J

For an ADULT caching buddy :blink: , check out the events. I have been to a couple, and folks are friendly and willing to help out newbies. I know there's a WSGA meeting in Federal Way on the 21st, and several events upcoming.

Good luck! And you know what, it's okay to have separate interests! :unsure:

Ya! I may try to get myself to an event, sounds like fun

TY, MarKat

Why this limitation? There are views like this all over Washington if you're willing to hike a little:

Bad Knees!

:laughing: I know that song all to well.

Blindfold him and take him deep into the woods, tell him it is for a bit of "fun". Then leave him alone with the gpsr, after making sure you mark the car location. If not geocaching he will be interested in how to use a gpsr. Assuming he knows how to use it before you ditch him in the woods and hey, if'n he doesn't figure it out you are only out the cost of a gpsr.

edit for fat feengers

Edited by Recdiver

Blindfold him and take him deep into the woods, tell him it is for a bit of "fun". Then leave him alone with the gpsr, after making sure you mark the car location. If not geocaching he will be interested in how to use a gpsr. Assuming he knows how to use it before you ditch him in the woods and hey, if'n he doesn't figure it out you are only out the cost of a gpsr.

:laughing:<_<:blink:

OK, I had a response, but I don't think there is any other response after this one. :laughing: