Cache in a museum?

vw_k

I've tried searching for guidelines on this but havent had any luck.

Basically My friend and I had the idea of placing a cache in an area with lots of historical interest that is outside but part of a museum, we were planning on asking for permission to place the cache from the museum owners. The only problem is that the museum charges an entry fee, so the question is:

Am I allowed to place a cache in an area where you have to pay an entry fee if I clearly state this in the cache details?

Unfortunately i'd class it as a "for profit" area as it is a museum. My theory was that the cache could be historically themed and if someone was planning to visit the museum anyway they might like to do a cache that would cater for the same interests while they were there.

Not using the cache in any way to attract people to the museum, but providing a cache for people who were already visiting the museum.

Unfortunately i'd class it as a "for profit" area as it is a museum. My theory was that the cache could be historically themed and if someone was planning to visit the museum anyway they might like to do a cache that would cater for the same interests while they were there.

Not using the cache in any way to attract people to the museum, but providing a cache for people who were already visiting the museum.

I work for a museum, and museum's are definitely Non-Profit organizations, although they may charge a fee to enter. It's no different than any park that I have to pay $6.00 to park to hike to find a cache on public land.

Be sure to ask the museum executives if they would agree to have it there, whether you place it indoors or outdoors.

There is a Letterbox at the cafe on the grounds of the Ringling Museums in Sarasota, Florida. Now, the Ringling Museum of Art and the Circus Museum are Free Admission on Mondays and students (of any Florida school/college) are Free Admissions every day. The letterbox is located at the cafe, but in a location that doesn't really require you to order/pay for anything. I think most people would because it's a great museum, great cafe and a great way to spend a day (especially if you tour the mansion)... but, technically, one doesn't have to pay anything to get at the letterbox.

Given all that, I'd say to do your homework on the museum. Is there a time that they allow free admission and is the museum okay with you placing the cache?

Also, if the cache idea turns out to be a wash, you can still Waymark it!!! :laughing:

- HauntHunters

Thank you for all the advice, what I'll do is research and see if the museum has any free entry days or reduced rates (they often hold different events at the museum) and plan to approach them with a presentation of my idea.

I'll let you know how I get on.

There is one locally that is both outside and inside the historical museum..the one inside actually requires you to search the exhibits to find it...There is no admission, but I see no difference if I pay 8 bucks to access the parking lot of a state park for one and a couple of greenbacks to a historical society...most of those are shoe string operations anyways..I will be keeping an eye on this discussion (maybe one of the phantom reviewers could chime in on this) as we are planning on doing the same thing soon...

I see two possible guidelines issues - one, as mentioned already, you can't place a cache in a fee FOR PROFIT area. But you can place a cache in a NON-Profit fee area, like a state park, which may have an entry fee.

Possible issue number 2; you need to be sure and design something that requires GPS usage. If the cache is IN the building, typically you need to build a multi cache that somehow gets people to the cache, but requires the GPS to get the directions for the interior cache.