top 35 most traded/collected geocoins

zygote2k

I have been compiling data on geocoins for about a year now. I will soon be publishing the 1st coin value guide. Here are the top 35 geocoins and their approximate values. The values listed are from an average of past ebay sales and personal sales and trades. If you think I have left a coin out of this list, feel free to contact me via my profile.

Migo Seasonals-

'05 Spring 100

'05 Summer 100

'05 Fall 100

'05 Winter 100

GCC coins

FTF 75

Red SA Off 75

Ammo Can 75

Benchmark 60

Facedances

v1 90

v2 90

Federation

gold 50

silver 40

Wandering Dragon 100

Moun10bike

v1 1000

v2 500

v3 300

Geowoodstock 3 65

'05 Geobash 50

8Muddyfeet 40

Bluegillfisherman 30

Worker of Wood 30

Joefrog 50

Geometeacher 50

Apple 30

Zombietribe 30

Serial Finder 40

Cav Scout

v1 50

v2 50

Goblindust 100

2Dolphins 50

GBOTS 50

Square T 50

?Mystery Puzzle? 75

Groundspeak Volunteer 100

Geonap 30

I hope my printing this doesn't offend anyone as it is for trading,buying, and selling purposes only.

Hello.

I am just a newbie to geocoin collecting, but I have to ask, you actually have documented sales of $1000 for the Mount10bike v.1 geocoin?

I seen a Moun10bike v1 coin sell on e-bay for that several months ago.

I tried to search ebay for all closed auctions for a Moun10bike coin, but I am not that fluent on that feature. I am sure someone can search for us and point us in the right direction. Not by posting links (frowned on by mods), rather how to perform the search.

Edited by Damenace

You can find old item number # 8353798048

not sure how long they stay, if mods remove number i have a pdf of the auction i can share, i thought it was pretty amazing so i saved it.

Well that is the proof, $1025.00 for a Moun10Bike Ver. 1 geocoin.

Didn't one of the Moun10Bike Ver. 1's go for over $2000? When I was making my joke ebay coin, I referenced that number because I had seen an auction for a Moun10Bike coin go that high. It could be that the bidder dropped out, and the bidding was reset back to the lower amount. Since I couldn't even come close, I stopped monitoring that auction quickly.

My ebay joke coin thread.

You can find old item number # 8353798048

not sure how long they stay, if mods remove number i have a pdf of the auction i can share, i thought it was pretty amazing so i saved it.

Way to go Nero! Thanks for sharing this. I've been lurking for a while now and am much impressed by the devotion of this forum's members.

Sticking to the topic, why stop at a Top 35? Why not compile a top 50 or top 100? Then of course, there will have to be the All Time Top 35. I think I would also be interested in seeing a Bottom 35 list as well...

Thanks again folks :D

This is weird seeing more than one moun10bike coins for sale -i thought this was a nono? Why doesn't he just fill in the 'stolen item' ebay notification form ? There are plenty of things like chip and biscuit and lolly packets marked " not for individual sale" .... his coins are all activated and clearly marked are they not - even the trades?

Having said that the 'cost' can be calculated by means other than ebay. The trading cost of a moun10bike might perhaps be calculated as the cost of minting a personal coin ( not sure of this ) or petrol and days off work to go to Italy!

I have been compiling data on geocoins for about a year now. I will soon be publishing the 1st coin value guide. Here are the top 35 geocoins and their approximate values. The values listed are from an average of past ebay sales and personal sales and trades. If you think I have left a coin out of this list, feel free to contact me via my profile.

Migo Seasonals-

'05 Spring 100

'05 Summer 100

'05 Fall 100

'05 Winter 100

GCC coins

FTF 75

Red SA Off 75

Ammo Can 75

Benchmark 60

Facedances

v1 90

v2 90

Federation

gold 50

silver 40

Wandering Dragon 100

Moun10bike

v1 1000

v2 500

v3 300

Geowoodstock 3 65

'05 Geobash 50

8Muddyfeet 40

Bluegillfisherman 30

Worker of Wood 30

Joefrog 50

Geometeacher 50

Apple 30

Zombietribe 30

Serial Finder 40

Cav Scout

v1 50

v2 50

Goblindust 100

2Dolphins 50

GBOTS 50

Square T 50

?Mystery Puzzle? 75

Groundspeak Volunteer 100 (X2)

Geonap 30

I hope my printing this doesn't offend anyone as it is for trading,buying, and selling purposes only.

Wow, I thought I would add up what I stand a chance at making if I was to sell the coins that I have that are on the list <drum roll>

$2195.00 :) , and that is only 25 of my 600+ coins I own :D .

Edited by Damenace

I purposely didn't use the prices for coins that were sold for charity purposes, as they tend to be higher for the specific cause. When I publish the guide, I'll include about 100 coins although that might be a stretch as there aren't that many coins valued at over $20. Many new coins fetch 30-40 at time of release but quickly settle down to their regular price. I won't be listing coins that are under 20 in the guide. I am not promoting the sale of banned coins such as Moun10bike, just using it as a reference for value.

Waypoint 15 100.

If there are any others that have been missed, let me know as I have data for many more.

NOTE* All values listed are for unregistered geocoins. Activated coins are worth approximately half.

Edited by zygote2k

Are you going to publish your data? For all the coins you tracked over the past year, what were the individual winning bid amounts or price paid for each individual sale -- along with the date they were sold? Would be interesting to see what the dates were and the prices to see how they relate -- i.e. are winning bids higher during the Christmas holiday season than during the summer months.

I won't be publishing the final prices and dates of sales on ebay. I can tell you that collectibles in general are sold at higher prices around Christmastime more than any other time of the year.

I will list the top coins, their quantity minted, what metal types, date of issue, and maker. I will also try to print an interview with one of the original coin makers. If any of you original coin makers would like to be featured in the premier issue, please contact me.

Try the new Market Research tool (FastPass) from our favorite 4 letter online auction site -- how cool is that. I tried it for the Moun10Bike and got average of $214.68 over the last 2 months complete with graphs (by week). I tried my Decoder regular and got an average of $34.95. Wish it went beyond 90 days historical data, though. There was no data for the Waypoint 15.

As I stated in my original post, the data was comprised of ebay and personal coin sales. If I only have 1 known sale of a coin, then it's easy to average it's value. All of the coins listed so far are older than 1 year. Most coins from 2006 won't make the list unless there's some heavy trading around Christmastime. I'm hoping that the guide will help coin makers get a better understanding on how to make geocoins that increase in value.