Would you attend something like this?

triturtle

I am thinking of creating a geocaching challenge and wondering what people think of this idea.

I want to put out 6 "clue" caches - each one would give one missing coordinate to the final cache. I would assign each team a designator 1-6 which would give them a different path from cache to cache so that every team was not following the same path. Each Cache would give a clue to the next cache and a coordinate to the final.

I would like to add in a CITO factor to the game as well. X lbs of trash collected removed Y number of minutes to your time. This will give people the opportunity to take some time to collect trash to lower their time.

I would also like to offer event coins for sale, which would be about $4-6 depending on how cheaply I can get them made.

Would you attend an event like this? Ideas to make it better or more fun?

Yes and I have. There was an event called the Great Smokey GeoQuest (they sold coins and it was a two day event) and the AL Amazing Race that had a similar idea. There is one scheduled in TN right now. The team with the most points receives prizes.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...80-ebe61cce1135

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bb-ce480cbfda1e

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...24-b18cff73e4c7

Edited by LadeBear68

I am thinking of creating a geocaching challenge and wondering what people think of this idea.

I want to put out 6 "clue" caches - each one would give one missing coordinate to the final cache. I would assign each team a designator 1-6 which would give them a different path from cache to cache so that every team was not following the same path. Each Cache would give a clue to the next cache and a coordinate to the final.

I would like to add in a CITO factor to the game as well. X lbs of trash collected removed Y number of minutes to your time. This will give people the opportunity to take some time to collect trash to lower their time.

I would also like to offer event coins for sale, which would be about $4-6 depending on how cheaply I can get them made.

Would you attend an event like this? Ideas to make it better or more fun?

We'd attend. The CITO factor is always cool (rewarded or not!).

One thing to consider is search time by team. If you have each team start at one of the 6 clues, you're kinda hoping it takes the same amount of time to search by each team. If 1 team takes longer to search, the teams get bunched up.

Distance between caches is another.

Post the idea in the local event thread. I'm sure you'll get more replies.

Timed events tend to favor teams that are younger and more able bodied. How would you level the playing field for everyone?

One idea is to have motorized and non-motorized categories. Those younger and/or more fit could do it via bike and those older/less fit could use a car, etc.

Another option is to make sure that it takes more brains than brawn to figure out and find all the caches.

The other idea would be to build age categories and then adjust times but that gets pretty complicated.