Tour de Cache - NJ Counties Challenge

Tour de Cache - NJ

Requests for substitutions have been submitted. GCA591 Eagle Rock n Roll for Harry, and GCQ6J8 We Will Never Forget for Andy. We thank the committee for the challenge, and hope that they will approve our requests for substitutions.

We had a great time and saw many interesting things. But the only place we saw cows was near Route 206 in Princeton Township! :o We did see a llama, a bison, some egrets and a red tail hawk. And lots of vultures! As someone once told me: Harry, if you're watching the vultures circle overhead, you aren't hiking fast enough.

The committee has given careful review of Harry Dolphin and Andy Bear's cache finds. Due to the low number of caches in Hudson County, these cachers had either placed or found all the available caches in this county prior to the start of the Tour de Cache challenge. In light of the fact that both cachers have done everything possible to meet the spirit and intent of the challenge which was which was to see New Jersey, find caches and have fun, we have approved their request to substitute caches in nearby counties to meet the Hudson County requirement. They have been sent the necessary information to find the final cache and we wish them the best of luck in their search.

This is a one time substitution made solely at the discretion of the committee and is not to be considered a precedent for other cachers. If you are in the same situation as Harry and Andy, you may contact the committee to discuss options but there are no guarantees this option will be available in the future.

Andy Bear and Harry Dolphin have completed Bear and Dolphin's Great Adventure!!!! .... We have logged over seven hundred miles on the cachemobile.

There are no available/acceptable caches in Hudson. There are twelve caches in Hudson County. Four of them are ours. We have found the eight that are not ours. As far as we can see, there are three caches in Hudson that qualify: Secaucus Panorama and Forgotten Forest. We have found those. The third is West New York Aerie, and we hid that one.

In the three weeks between the beginning of this challenge, and our having completed the other twenty counties, there have been no new caches hidden in Hudson.

Therefore, we think that we have completed this challenge, and deserve the coordinates for the final stage.

Sounds like yu had a blast!

I would look for a non-qualifying cache in Hudson county if that was possible.

I looked through you're profile and noticed that you not only did a cache in each county, but you actually did at last two caches in every count. :D

I guess if Trowel is willing to chance her FTF to you, then the proposal is cool. But here's a warning, I've seen T32 run through the woods for a FTF on a cache ... you don't stand a chance! :):o:)

Sounds like yu had a blast!

I would look for a non-qualifying cache in Hudson county if that was possible.

I looked through you're profile and noticed that you not only did a cache in each county, but you actually did at last two caches in every count. :)

I guess if Trowel is willing to chance her FTF to you, then the proposal is cool. But here's a warning, I've seen T32 run through the woods for a FTF on a cache ... you don't stand a chance! :laughing:;):blink:

Thanks, Nik. We did have a blast! As a culmination to a week of zigzagging all over the state, Andy Bear and I logged first and second to find at the final cache location today! And we got to meet Tour de Cache and Y's Owl. We tried to log two caches in each county, but had a DNF in Mercer, and were running out of time on the trip to Vineland, so we only logged one each in Gloucester, Salem and Cumberland.

Probably one of the stranger vacations I've ever taken, but we had a blast!! Forty caches in seven days is a new record for us.

Thanks to the Tour de Cache Committee for the challenge!!!!

Congrats everybody :D

Wish I could have made it over there today...it sounds like it was a regular party :D

I'm going to head over there tomorrow after work (or who knows, maybe before :D ) The funny thing is the final cache is closer to my house than ANY of the caches I did for the challenge (including my home county of Mercer).

... I was hoping I could get the time off to get FTF. Figured it would be humorous for a person from PA to get FTF on the NJ tour.

Re-read rule number 13, the Pencil-tucky claus states that no person or animal (real or fictional), west of the Deleware can register FTF, STF or TTF. :laughing::rolleyes::mellow:

ekitt10 - our apologies but we are going to foil you again. :tired: There is no rule 13 - yet, and I pray there never is!

But as everyone east of the river knows, nearby Pennsylvania is considered to be far western New Jersey. There is some historical basis as Quakers were settling in the West Jersey colony before William Penn got his charter for Pennsylvania.

<Switching to serious mode> Cachers from the neighboring states are more than welcome to try their luck at the Tour de Cache challenge. The more the merrier!

<Switching to humor mode> Perhaps the TDC-NJ Committee should get together and plan an all out assault on the Pennsylvania DeLorme Challenge? Though the last time I checked the committee was too busy enjoying the unique road side eateries they keep coming across during their TDC-NJ business!

Edited by Tour de Cache - NJ

FYI...

For those of you that use GSAK for managing your geocache PQ database, there is a new macro that apparently will add a column displaying which county the cache is in. I haven't tried it but it looks like it would be real handy for the "Tour de Cache - NJ Counties Challenge".

Check it out:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=2943

Edited by Team Perrito Blanco

FYI...

For those of you that use GSAK for managing your geocache PQ database, there is a new macro that apparently will add a column displaying which county the cache is in. I haven't tried it but it looks like it would be real handy for the "Tour de Cache - NJ Counties Challenge".

Check it out:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=2943

Finally got the macro working after they posted some additional information of one of the GSAK export file settings.

It works pretty well - BUT.... There are about 30 caches that are very close to the state line/seashore or county lines that are either not included in the state or are in the wrong county. And looking at those in the wrong county - well maybe 3 of those are a toss up on what county they may be in depending on which map you look at. They are really close to the lines.

So the GSAK macro works pretty good. 30 wrong out of 2550 is about a 1% error. Though when in doubt check the maps. If you come up with something that is a close call, we will work with you via e-mail to come up with an equitable solution. We will end up counting it one county or the other but not both.

Anyone making progress on this one?

I don't know about you all, but I'm having a blast driving around the state seeing the sites and eating stuff. I've found picking several caches that spark my interest much more satisfying then spending a day grabbing 10 caches that are all in the same general area. Now that gas prices are at a nice pre-election level, that leave more cash for stopping at the greasy spoons along they way.

---- IMPORTANT CLARIFICATION ----

There has been some confusion about allowable caches condition #4 which states "The cache must be large enough to accept travel bugs and other trade items which rules out micros and nanos."

We had been interpreting in such a way that a micro which would hold a bug would be allowed in the tour. However we are getting increasing submissions of micro caches that are not easy to verify. We do not have time to run out and check all of these caches. It was are original intent to exclude micros so are going back to that. Begining November 1, 2006 any cache listed as a micro will not be elligible for consideration under the Tour de Cache.

There has been some confusion about allowable caches condition #4 which states "The cache must be large enough to accept travel bugs and other trade items which rules out micros and nanos."

We had been interpreting in such a way that a micro which would hold a bug would be allowed in the tour. However we are getting increasing submissions of micro caches that are not easy to verify. We do not have time to run out and check all of these caches. It was are original intent to exclude micros so are going back to that. Begining November 1, 2006 any cache listed as a micro will not be elligible for consideration under the Tour de Cache.

What if the cache submission had a TB placed in it by the cache seeker?

Assuming that the placement of the bug is on the up and up, of course.

What if the cache submission had a TB placed in it by the cache seeker?

Assuming that the placement of the bug is on the up and up, of course.

If you did it before November 1, write to us and we will discuss the situation.

However - policing micros for Travel Bug capacity is starting to become a time consuming exercise. The Travel Bug rule was meant to rule out micros. It has not served that purpose as well as we thought it would so micros are now being specifically excluded. We really wanted the Tour to be all about finding traditional caches with log books and trade goods, not finding hide-a-keys in gaurd rails along the turnpike. Rule #4 was clarified to keep the Tour on its intended course.

After careful review we have found that Dirty Bird and Big Nasty Brain have found a cache for each of the NJ counties and they have been sent the final coordinates for the Tour de Cache.

Nicely done fellows. Good luck in your search for the final cache.

Though the committee prefers that you take your time and enjoy the sights along the way, we acknowledge that there are other ways to enjoy the Tour such as the all puzzles run that Dirty Bird and Big Nasty Brain completed. That is what the Personal Challenges section of the cache is all about when we said, "This cache is what you make of it."

Just read over the rules and guidelines carefully when you embark on a cutting edge Tour to avoid any surprises or disappointments. When in doubt, drop us a line and we will work with you to ensure your Tour is within the bounds.

In celebration of the release of Tour de Cache coins, I'm offering up one of my new silver coins to the first cacher to complete a Tour de Cache "mini" challenge!

Break out your state map!

Total 6 caches:

Find

1 cache east of the Garden State Parkway

1 cache west of the New Jersey Turnpike.

1 cache between the GSP and NJT

1 cache north of Interstate route 78

1 cache between Interstate route 78 & Interstate route 195

1 cache south of Interstate route 195

All cache must be found with in the boarders of New Jersey.

Rules:

You must find 9 unique traditional, puzzle or multi caches. No size restrictions, no previously found caches, a different cache must be used for each requirement.

For multis and puzzle cache, the posted coordinates on GC.com will be used.

Post your completed list here to be reviewed by myself (and your peers)

Awarding of the coin is subject to my judgment and interpretation of the qualifying cache to the above requirements. Submitted caches that are "too close to call" will be disregarded. Just to be safe and so there are no discrepancies, your find should be at least 1/2 mile from one of the boundary roads.

See the Sights, Find Some Caches, Have Fun

Edited by ekitt10

Total 6 caches:

Rules:

You must find 6 unique traditional, puzzle or multi caches.

Nik,

I liked your original thought of 11 caches for the mini-tour! :D

Whatever the number any excuse to "go places and eat good things" is a good excuse. Good luck with your min-tour!

I agree, but I wanted to keep it simple for everyone playing along.

Depending on how well this fist mini challenge goes. I would like to have a mini challenge every month.

So who wants a coins.

T32, you're not done yet? :D

KBer, have you fallen asleep? :)

Are you Jersey folks gonna let ODragon beat you! :D

See the Sights, Find Some Caches, Have Fun ... Eat Some Food!!!

In celebration of the release of Tour de Cache coins, I'm offering up one of my new silver coins to the first cacher to complete a Tour de Cache "mini" challenge!

Break out your state map!

Total 6 caches:

Find

1 cache east of the Garden State Parkway

1 cache west of the New Jersey Turnpike.

1 cache between the GSP and NJT

1 cache north of Interstate route 78

1 cache between Interstate route 78 & Interstate route 195

1 cache south of Interstate route 195

All cache must be found with in the boarders of New Jersey.

So does this mean the caches I did yesterday count since you posted this challenge yesterday :D

Didn't see this until today :)

Now where the heck were those caches anyway?

Edited by trowel32

So does this mean the caches I did yesterday count since you posted this challenge yesterday :D

They sure do!

Woo Hoo!

Actually I think they were all north of Route 78 and west of the turnpike, but its a start :D

Hopefully this posting gets this topic onto a new page. I'm sick of seeing my dorky post at the top of page 2 :)

Ok gonna mark these here so I remember what I am doing:

Atlantic:11-11-06 Kilie's the leader (GCJR6M)

Bergen: 9/22/2006 The JukeBox (GC69DE)

Burlington:11-12-06 Whatever floats your boat (GCV5AP)

Camden:11-12-06 SJG birthday prize cache (GCYQ6P)

Cape May:11-11-06 OOooo you savage you (GCR9PC)

Cumberland:11-12-06 Vineland Pit stop (GCGET7)

Essex: 10/27/2006 Valentine's Day Cache (GCTABB)

Gloucester:11-12-06 cRAZY 9TEEN (GCJ7K6)

Hudson: 9/29/2006 Bag End (GCYFBG)

Hunterdon:

Mercer:

Middlesex - Box of Stuff in the Woods (GCQDX6)

Monmouth:Dry cat, wet dog (GCJRFB)

Morris:

Ocean:Winding Views (GCXEAD)

Passaic:

Salem:11-12-06 Ryans toy box (GCN467)

Somerset:

Sussex:12/10/2006 Cachehunters' GeoCoin Exchange (GCRAK4)

Union:

Warren:

7 to go... well 8 to go...

Rumor Control Alert.....

The Tour de Cache is still alive and well. There are plenty of gold coins left for awards to finders of the cache. Of the initial minting of 50 gold coins we have awarded 15 which leaves another 35 to go. And if the silver coins continue to sell, we will consider an additional minting. It will all come down to finances as the coin program is a break even propostition, the sales of the silver covers the costs of the gold.

Your support of the program so far has been appreciated. If you are interested in the silver coins, they are still available at this address: Tour de Cache Geocoin - Forum Announcement and Tour de Cache online store

And with or without the coin awards it is intended that the Tour de Cache remain available to seek and find for the foreseeable future.

Edited by Tour de Cache - NJ
Are you Jersey folks gonna let ODragon beat you! :)

Too Late?!?

1 cache east of the Garden State Parkway: Belmar's FERRUGGIARO PARK Cache

1 cache west of the New Jersey Turnpike: Teacher I Need You!

1 cache between the GSP and NJT: Fasola Strolla Re-Redux

1 cache north of Interstate route 78: Bag End

1 cache between Interstate route 78 & Interstate route 195: BlackJack in the Blackness

1 cache south of Interstate route 195: Shelter Cove

1 cache east of the Garden State Parkway: Belmar's FERRUGGIARO PARK Cache

1 cache west of the New Jersey Turnpike: Teacher I Need You!

1 cache between the GSP and NJT: Fasola Strolla Re-Redux

1 cache north of Interstate route 78: Bag End

1 cache between Interstate route 78 & Interstate route 195: BlackJack in the Blackness

1 cache south of Interstate route 195: Shelter Cove

That would do it!

Good job ODragon! :)

Recent News:

Congrats to StormRunner for completing the Tour on December 22 and finding the final cache on December 23.

Also congrats to Brian07663NJ for completing the Tour on January 1. He has been sent the final coords so look for him to find the final cache soon. Looks like Brian put his holidays to good use to visit NJ by finding most of the counties between Christmas and New Years.

Thanks for all the continued interest in our cache folks!

TdC - NJ

We have another team that has found a cache in each of the 21 counties of New Jersey. Congratulations to m_and_w who have been sent the final coordinates for the Tour de Cache. You can expect them to find and log the final cache soon.

We still have a good supply of the "antique gold" Tour de Cache coins which are awarded to cachers after completing the final cache.

Also we still have the "antique silver" version of the coin available through our online store.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support of the Tour de Cache.