NiOx Batteries

Hertzog

Has anyone tried these in a GPSr yet? They are touted to last 2X longer in cameras, but this would not necessarily translate to GPSr loads (they are about 25% more expensive than goldtops). I'm curious about capacities used in GPSr's, environmental issues, shelf lifetimes, temperatures, and, in lieu of the 60CSx problems with lithiums, voltage levels; also, it would probably be a good idea to check out dimensions in light of the history of Garmins and battery terminals. Apparently not much on the internet yet (at least not with my Google search).

Since I have a camera that can use them, I guess I will buy a set and do some tests.

From what I've read, these are formulated for devices that have short periods of high drain (such a recharging a flash capacitor and driving a motor in a camera) with relatively little drain in between. A GPS is a fairly steady-drain device.

I have had the greatest success with the maha Powerex NiMH batteries. Just replaced a set after 18 hours of use, and there was still some charge left. The key is to also get the Maha charger... it is awsome. It will also make your energizers work a lot harder too - about 12 hours I would guess based on my last try. Most other chargers (energizer) overheat the batteries and you don't get near the performance.

Brian

Well, although my GPS will be arriving next week (woohoo), I've already got, and am planning to use in the GPS, those Rayovac 15-minute rechargeable NiMh batteries. Those things work awesome in my digital camera, they recharge in 15 minutes... hell, don't forsee a problem with having them in my gps, and maybe a few spare batteries with me in my travels.

Well, although my GPS will be arriving next week (woohoo), I've already got, and am planning to use in the GPS, those Rayovac 15-minute rechargeable NiMh batteries. Those things work awesome in my digital camera, they recharge in 15 minutes... hell, don't forsee a problem with having them in my gps, and maybe a few spare batteries with me in my travels.

the battery that came with my explorist 500 has a decent life, i did 20 caches, and im getting close to having to recharge it again.

Has anyone tried these in a GPSr yet? They are touted to last 2X longer in cameras, but this would not necessarily translate to GPSr loads (they are about 25% more expensive than goldtops). I'm curious about capacities used in GPSr's, environmental issues, shelf lifetimes, temperatures, and, in lieu of the 60CSx problems with lithiums, voltage levels; also, it would probably be a good idea to check out dimensions in light of the history of Garmins and battery terminals. Apparently not much on the internet yet (at least not with my Google search).

Since I have a camera that can use them, I guess I will buy a set and do some tests.

A take-out of a post :

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries .....these are the best made ( don't take my word for it, look it up ) then you will have plenty of batteries for your digital camera ( my wife and I each carry one), GPS unit, flashlights etc.

I agree with Dumketu NIMH is the way to go. I have had great luck with 3 digital cameras, two GPS, Palm, etc. I have does a 29 cache day on one set of charged batteries in my GPSV. I do carry a set of regular batteries as a backup and have only used them once. Recharables can lose some charge when not used or when they are old. If you use your devices you will be money ahead with NIMH. If not just charge before use. I got mine from thomas distruibuting, they have consistantly good prices and customer service. http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm

I have even tried the lennar batteries from Fye's when on sale in a set of 8 for 9.99. Even though they are not rated highly they are cheap and so far still going.

As with Bamboozle I have been using the Maha MH-204F Battery charger for years and still have some of my original NEXCEL NIMH 1800MA batteries that are still alive. I put that charger in the RV and have since updated to a set of 2500MA Energizer NIMH batteries and the new Maha MH-401CF Battery Charger with a lifetime warranty and single cell charging.

Before NIMH I would always be at COSTCO getting the large battery packs.

IMHO the high cost special batteries will sink a hole in you wallet.

PJH

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries ...

For the price difference between even the cheapest MAHA charger and the 15 minute Energizer charger I bought at Target I can buy an extra pack of 4xAA 2500 mAH Energizers. For the really good ones it's more like 4-6 extra packs of them.

This is in no way meant to dis the MAHA chargers/batteries. They are for sure top shelf and the best an end consumer can get ... technology wise. But the best technology is not allways the most economic way.

Jan

Jan,

I have tried, used and then thrown away the energizer charger. It will destroy your NiMH batteries. Anything that charges them in 15 minutes will. NiMH needs to be charged fast for best performance, but 15 minutes creates too much heat and breaks down the structure of the battery. 1 Hour (as MAHA does) is just about perfect. Too slow and the batteries wont work as well either. The energizer batteries are good - use them wiht a MAHA charger and you will have an excellent combination. There is a lot about all of this on the internet if you google it and want the science involved.

In the long run the MAHA charger is worth the extra money. BTW - using the MAHA charger, my energizer batteries give me about twice the performance in both my GPS and my wife's digital camera.

Brian

To add to the geocache tool list you must buy a top of the line MAHA battery charger ( I use three) and a supply of MAHA POWERX Ni MH batteries ...

For the price difference between even the cheapest MAHA charger and the 15 minute Energizer charger I bought at Target I can buy an extra pack of 4xAA 2500 mAH Energizers. For the really good ones it's more like 4-6 extra packs of them.

This is in no way meant to dis the MAHA chargers/batteries. They are for sure top shelf and the best an end consumer can get ... technology wise. But the best technology is not allways the most economic way.

Jan

I didn't really mean to start yet another thread about the merits of various rechargeables; I was just curious about how these new batteries would work in a GPSr :laughing:

I ran a pair through my 60CSx, and found that they had a lifetime of 20+ hours, as opposed to 19+ hours for Duracell Ultras; since they cost about 25% more, they don't seem to make much sense for GPSr applications (as someone mentioned previously, they apparently are slotted for high drain products).

FWIW, I'm firmly in the camp of NiMHs for normal use.