Unique Multi Ideas

I am about to set out my second cache, and I was trying to decide whether to keep it a traditional micro, or step up and try a multi. The container itself is very unique, and may be a difficult find for some cachers. The location is the historical downtown of my hometown. I was thinking of placing the first stage on the courthouse lawn, then move to a different location, and finally to my unusual cache. However, I am worried fewer people would attempt this one if I chose to make it a multi. Should I settle for a traditional micro cache, or go all out and attempt the multi??

I am about to set out my second hide, and I'm trying to decide whether to keep it a traditional micro, or step it up and make it a multi-stage cache. The container itself is very unique, and may be difficult to find for some cachers. The location for the proposed multi would be the historical downtown area of my hometown. The first stage would be near the courthouse lawn..etc. However, I am afraid if I choose to make it a multi, fewer people will search for it. I was wondering if ya'll might have some suggestions. Thanks.

You have to decide what is more important to you. The number of finds your cache gets, or the quality of the cache you hide. Sometimes you can get both, but not usually with a Multi since they are found less often.

I think multi caches would be looked for a lot more often if basic information were given about them on the description such as number of stages, total distance of cache, etc. Most of the time keeping this info secret doesn't add to the cache experience, so why not let the cacher know what to expect? If I knew there were only 2 stages to a multi, I'd be much more likely to go after it than if I didn't know and it could be 4, 6, 10, or more.

I agree! My favorite cache so far was a four stage multi that took me a couple of weeks to find. I was in a race with a couple of other cachers to be FTF (i came in second). I met some great people along the way and really felt like I accomplished something when I finally found it.

I would add that a theme to a multi is a great way to go. Base it on town history or something like that and the cachers that go through the work to find it will have found new areas they didn't know about and/or learned something along the way.

You have to ask yourself who you are trying to please with your cache - yourself or the caching public?

The fact that multis are hunted less should clue you in that most people skip them. That being the case, place a mult if you get off on pleasing yourself and the minority of cachers that hunt multis, otherwise place a traditional. It may be a bit less ecxiting for you, but more fun for more cachers.

That's not to say that pleasing yourself and letting those that will hunt it is a bad idea - a lot less stressful, anyway!

While I try to please the majority of the cachers who will find mine, I firmly believe in 'Play it your way' and am not upset if some folks skip or don't like it.

Ed

Multicaches are my favorite type of cache; I found my 100th and 101st multis over the weekend. A good multi will tell a story or lead the cacher on a journey that is better told through unveiling the steps one at a time, so that all the stages hang together in one cool experience. If your idea meets that description, by all means, hide a multicache.

Be sure to do your homework for a location near the courthouse. Remember that caches near government buildings are on the list of "Off Limits" locations. Express permission is the easiest way to assure your cache reviewer that an exception to the guidelines is warranted.

I disagree with TAR to some extent. Its very true that multis get less visits than regular caches. You could take from this that hiding a regular gives more people pleasure. However, I think that the people that do find your multi are likely to get more pleasure out of it than they would if they found a regular cache.

I have two puzzle multis that rarely ever get visited. One just reached it's two year anniversary of the last time it was found. The other is almost at one year. Those that find them seem to like them, however.

I am about to set out my second cache, and I was trying to decide whether to keep it a traditional micro, or step up and try a multi. The container itself is very unique, and may be a difficult find for some cachers. The location is the historical downtown of my hometown. I was thinking of placing the first stage on the courthouse lawn, then move to a different location, and finally to my unusual cache. However, I am worried fewer people would attempt this one if I chose to make it a multi. Should I settle for a traditional micro cache, or go all out and attempt the multi??

Hi sonoraqb2006,

You might think twice about placing a cache on your courthouse lawn. See Tell it to the Judge and it's logs before you place your new cache.

JohnTee

Hi there,

I was put off at first as it seemed easier to go fo a TRAD cache,but now having done a few multis,

I can honestly say they can be good fun.I'd stick to something that can be done in a couple of hours MAX,

especially if there are no other nearby caches for your visitors to go after.But if it is in a busy part of the world then a longer mutli would be ok.I recently did one over a few days at lunch and after work.

Best of Luck anyways.

Merging two duplicate topics.

Placing a cache on the courthouse property would likely be more trouble than it's worth, and would violate the Offlimits section of the guidelines:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Quiggle

Placing a cache on the courthouse property would likely be more trouble than it's worth, and would violate the Offlimits section of the guidelines:

Caches may be quickly archived if we see the following (which is not inclusive):

* Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Quiggle

The cache itself would not be on the courthouse lawn, just a piece of paper with coordinates. Does this make a difference?

Does this make a difference?

It might. Talk to your area reviewer before doing anything. Even placing something as innocent as a scrap of paper is going to bring strange folks, (us! :laughing: ), to your courthouse, holding suspicious looking devices. I believe the guidelines that prohibit caches in places such as courthouses, also apply to sections of a multicache.

Another possibility presents itself;

Is there some kind of historical plaque at the courthouse? If so, you could use the text in that plaque to give the coordinates to the final stage, and you'd have a puzzle that would probably get approved. Use something similar to a book cypher, where "1/7/4" equals 1st line, 7th word, 4th letter. "23/3/8" = 23rd line, 3rd word, 8th letter. Etc, etc.

Good luck!

Does this make a difference?

It might. Talk to your area reviewer before doing anything. Even placing something as innocent as a scrap of paper is going to bring strange folks, (us! :laughing: ), to your courthouse, holding suspicious looking devices. I believe the guidelines that prohibit caches in places such as courthouses, also apply to sections of a multicache.

Another possibility presents itself;

Is there some kind of historical plaque at the courthouse? If so, you could use the text in that plaque to give the coordinates to the final stage, and you'd have a puzzle that would probably get approved. Use something similar to a book cypher, where "1/7/4" equals 1st line, 7th word, 4th letter. "23/3/8" = 23rd line, 3rd word, 8th letter. Etc, etc.

Good luck!

Thanks, that book cipher could really help me out, there are like 12+ historical plaques in front of the courthouse, but luckily they are a good 75 -100 yards away from the front door.

I like doing multi's. But then again, I like doing challenging cashes! I have a cache I put out (GCWN7C) that is a 9 stage multi. There have not been many do it. Is it because it is 9 parts or is it because it is in a cemetery? Who knows. Some may read the page and figure a 9 part multi is too much when it is actually a fairly simple cache!

Quiggle

The cache itself would not be on the courthouse lawn, just a piece of paper with coordinates. Does this make a difference?

No, since the piece of paper would likely be inside a cache-like container. Clan Riffster offers a viable solution, see below:

This would be acceptable, just be sure to explain in your reviewer note and on the cache page that people are not looking for a container, but getting info off of a plaque, sign, etc.

You should have no problems getting that sort of cache published, assuming there were no other issues with it.