Favourite Caches In Scotland?!

Hello everybody!

We are going to visit scotland in the second half of august.

And we want to do a lot of caching, while driving and hiking through the country. ;)

But which one is really a MUST DO CACHE in scotland?

It would be nice if we could have maybe a bookmark list of 10-20 really nice caches... ;)

Thanks for your help,

Team KRHake from Karlsruhe/Germany

What an ask - and what a huge and subjective subject too. Scotland has lots of great caches whether you are looking for a physical challenge, mental workout or just great scenery. Your best bet is to go to www.geocacheuk.com and sign up (its free) and then do some searching based on whatever criteria you want; most Scottish caches have been rated by previous visitors and its got an interactive map to help you select your choice caches.

My most memorable day in Scotland was going from the top to bottom of Galloway from Grey Man of Merrick Earthcache to Heston Island Hop, as it takes you from the highest point in the Southern Uplands to an island that can only be accessed for less than 1 hour at spring low tides. Oh and you really should do Isn't That Nice as its the traditional thing to stop at Gretna Green and get married, not a big challenge but it is the traditional gateway to the country.

Rapidly flying past some outstanding caches, many by Team Clova, Perth Pathfinders and snaik, my personnal must do is HighlandNicks Summit to Sea, which will take you from the Summit at Ben Macdui to the Sea at Spey Bay. ;)

Oh just checked and the top rated cache in Scotland is The Old Penny Cache near Inverness. ;)

My favourite Scottish caches:

(2.5/5) Britains highest Geocache by Postie (GCG6XD) - Ammo box on top of Ben Nevis. Best cache of all time :ph34r:

(1/1) Electric Brae by Pooter (GCG8BA) - Interesting Virtual on the west coast road.

(3/3.5) - Out on a limb by The Cave Troll (GCB59F) - Remote cache at a great location.

(1/1) The Water of Ae by The Relic Hunters (GC3287) - Cache at the shortest placename in the UK

(1/1) Funny Faces (Galloway) by jstead (GC5EF5) - Really unusual Virtual on the south coast of Scotland.

(4/3) Monty Python's Holy Grail by Geo Boo (GCJPYV) - At the site of much filming for MPHG, Doune Castle.

(2/2) Period property in need of modernization by Zcat (GCH88Q) - Remote, charming location with great views.

I also have some caches in Scotland you may also be interested in <_<

(2/2) The road to Applecross by Simply Paul (GCPGH7) - Great drive and wonderful views. When it's not cloudy!

(2.5/1.5) The Wicker Man - A missing child is always trouble by Simply Paul (GCPGBF)

(1.5/2.5) The Wicker Man - Our more dreadful sacrifice by Simply Paul (GCPGB0)

(1.5/1) The Wicker Man - Here lieth Beech Buchanan by Simply Paul (GCPGAP)

Three locations used for filming The Wicker Man. Each offers an interesting location in itself too.

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you very much for you answers! :laughing:

We keep your suggestions in mind, when traveling through scotland.

We'll start in Prestwick and plan to go northbound along the westcoast til the Isle of Skye and thereafter eastbound via Inverness to Aberdeen.

Finally to Edingburgh and then back to Germany!

So much for the rough plan! :laughing:

Hopefully the wheather will be fine, so that we can really do some camping and not only B&B... :rolleyes:

Team KRHake

We'll start in Prestwick and plan to go northbound along the westcoast til the Isle of Skye and thereafter eastbound via Inverness to Aberdeen.

Finally to Edingburgh and then back to Germany!

Now we are talking, go with most of the other suggestions, but not far from Prestwick you could go for A Walk In The Dark. At Fort William I highly recommend Waterfall & Ruin and when you get to Edinburgh, take a look at my Bookmark Lists. I would suggest caches in Edinburgh, but a large percentage are mine so I'll let you have a look for yourself.

Oh definately waterfall and ruin for sheer beauty, rock hopper for the fun factor and Rum and Egg for a beach that belongs somewhere far more tropical than the UK! We did about 25 when we went on holiday there and they were my top 3. Strontinaite is well worth the drive for the views too

(We loved it so much we are going back for another week next year! And we are getting fit for britains highest geocache!))

Edited by freespirit1402

Of all the Scottish caches you logged, does any one in particular

stand out as a favourite?

Hello!

We had a great time in Scotland doing much more caches than we had planned. As so often we discovered a lot of interesting places by searching for them, that we wouldn't have visited as "normal" tourists. So, thanks to all Scottish geocachers, who placed caches that we found during our vacation.

I liked "Waterfall and Ruins" very much, which was recommended, because the scenery looked as I expected Scotland to look like.

The "Highland Cache" was great for taking some incredible pictures in the morning sun.

Nice and easy, but what a panorama at the loch!!!

At the beach of "Rum & Egg" we had great weather a wonderful view and the impression of being in Southern Europe.

At "what's the Point of all this" we've seen a many dolphins, which was incredible.

The "Notorious Thieves Raid Mansion" was a really well-done multi-cache with a nice story, what I like very much.

And "Slightly Off Piste", Edinburgh Orienteerins Series: Hillend" and "A Capital View" altogether were a great walk at a wonderful day with beutiful views of Edinburgh and its surrounding.

You see, I could continue quite a while.

So, thank you all for the support!

Jana / Team KRHake