Mapsend Lite

Jhwk

Got an e-mail from magellan (like that ever happens) announcing their new FREE software for the explorist line called Mapsend Lite. From my initial impression, it combines the capabilities of the various mapsend products (Topo & DR) as well as the geocache manager and file converter. Haven't been able to play with it too much, but it looks like a definite step up for us in terms of capabilities, or at least ease of use.

You can go here to download the product.

Any thoughts from the big brains? :unsure:

This looks like a companion product to their existing mapping programs - not a stand-alone mapping, waypoint, or route management tool.

From the product description, MapSend Lite seems to contain no maps itself, but works with maps from other Magellan software. IF you have have any of MapSend DirectRoute, MapSend Topo 3D, pre-loaded SD card, etc... then MapSend Lite is one application that lets you work with any of them.

At least that's how it reads to me.

In a way it makes sense. Magellan's mapping software has split off into a few different product lines with slightly different applications used for each set of map data. Having ONE program that works with map set of map data would be easier to document and support. That's good for Magellan - but it's only good for the customer if that program is well designed!

I downloaded it and am very happy because: 1) It was free, and 2) It makes mapsend do something I was wishing it would do.

When the caches along a route feature came out I went to our mapsend program, thinking I could use it to set up routes for this. I couldn't upload routes so went back to Google Earth. Mapsend Lite allows you to plot, edit, and save routes as .gpx files. It doesn't stand alone, more like an "update" to your current mapping software. I was very pleased in the small amount of time I played with the program.

I haven't delved deeply into it yet, but my initial impression was that it made working with cache data in a map format much easier. (or maybe I should say, working with cache data in MapSend maps much easier)

Will it convert MapSend ToPo V4.20D to the eXplorest format so that I can use the OLD V4.20D ( which has much better detail for trails/logging roads) on my eXplorest XL as the ToPo 3D is worthless for my purpose's ??

Will it convert MapSend ToPo V4.20D to the eXplorest format so that I can use the OLD V4.20D ( which has much better detail for trails/logging roads) on my eXplorest XL as the ToPo 3D is worthless for my purpose's ??

No help here...MSlite only works with "explorist certified" maps. This would be another notch in the "obsolecense" of the older mapsend products.

I got to play with it a little this weekend. It easily recognizes installed products (Topo and Direct Route) and allows you to choose one or the other as your default map. It also looks like you can load and upload your GPX files from your CPU or eXplorist. I gave the routing a run, and it seemed to do fine, I just wish the documentation wasn't so thin. 14 pages? and most of that telling about the icons and menu options. Why don't companies put in "real world" examples or demos anymore?

I have been involved in the beta testing of this product and have used it for several months. It has become my Mapsend product of choice. I don't think I have started either Topo Canada or DirectRoute for the last few months. I can do everything inside Mapsend Lite, as long as I do not have to generate maps for the gps. I like the ability to switch back and forth between maps from Topo Canada and from DirectRoute, without having to leave Mapsend Lite. I was planning a trip to Newfoundland, and while DirectRoute can do routing, Topo Canada has a lot more details. For example, most street of Newfoundland has no names in DirectRoute, but has names in Topo Canada. Being able to switch maps, without losing one's position, makes planning much easier.

Clement