Paperless Caching?

How do you do paperless caching? I have a Palm TX, would that work? What programs would I have to get (are there any free ones that work well?), and what is the information you put on it to go 'paperless'? Can you get it from geocaching.com? One more thing... I'm going to buy a Magellan eXplorist 210. How would I go about downloading the .loc files from geocaching.com onto it? Thanks!

Ho man, where to start...

TX is fine - if not way overkill. Would hate to drop that one on the trail. Make sure you protect it or go with an older model (M500,505,515 are my faves).

Programs - you Can get free programs (Plucker, Spinner, etc...) but you will quickly find that most folks recommend Cachemate (for Palm) and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) for the PC to manage your files. they will set you back $28 and are good for upgrades for life. Cachemate is what you use on the palm to pull up all of the cache data (except photos) in the field and write your log notes. GSAK manages all of your waypoints, and spits out the files (.pdb?) for your palm/cachemate - plus a lot of other cool things, like loading the waypoints to your GPS in the proper format (Magellan .gs in your case)

ecome a premium member of geocaching.com ($3 a month) and you can do what are called Pocket Queries, or PQ's. These are files of up to 500 caches sent to you that has all of the information pertaining to the cache. Basically the Who, What, Where, Hints, past logs, etc... the .loc file has very crude data when compared to the .gpx file you can get as a member.

I'm sure I screwed up something above. For a easy to follow method to get up and running on paperless caching (that I learned from) go here.

Good luck

Yay I a geocacher am I

I didn't buy my Palm TX for geocaching, I bought it mostly to keep track of my school and work stuff (and all other indoor activities.) Good point... I can't afford to have it broken. I'll probably use a really old Palm we have. Thanks for all the help!

I downloaded MobiPocket Reader for my IPAQ 3800 series PDA and save PDF files to it. I am a premium member which allows ebooks and so far MobiPocket Reader saves all information I need when searching caches. I carry my PDA without printing the information anymore to avoid carrying all the paper.