Cachemate 1.2 For Pocket Pc

(If you're here about the Palm OS version of CacheMate, please visit that thread instead)

CacheMate 1.2 for Pocket PC was released today, with the following additions:

- Voice notes recorder

- Support for GC.com's "additional waypoints" feature

- Log notes template

- User-defined fields with GPX import/export

- Optional "find percentage" list column (yes, it's sortable)

There are several bug fixes and smaller enhancements as well. Check the change log for a full list.

Related plugin releases:

- Spoiler Sync plugin update (fixes potential crash with this version)

- Magellan SD file export

Other plugins released in the last couple of weeks:

- PocketMap Navigator 2003/2004 favorites

- M$ Pocket Streets 2002 (and later) pushpins

As always, before asking questions, be sure to check all relevant FAQs, documentation, and the previous version's forum thread.

Enjoy!

I really like Cachemate for the PPC and have changed to that from GPXSonar since it runs a lot smoother with many caches in the database (I have over 2000, all the Danish caches). The new voice log function is also great. And since I have an Ipaq 6515 with GPSr built in the function to aquire the coordinates where you are now to set as center-coordinates is also nice.

Would it be possible to enhance the log note template with some fields auto filled.

What I'm thinking is fields like %time and %date replaced with the time and date as setup in regional settings on the PPC.

And perhaps a find count %fcount that auto increments for each found log. It could either starte with a preset number in the preferences or check the number af caches in the found category for the starting number.

A last thing could be a check for if the GPX-file you last imported has changed and then prompt the user if he wanted to update the database. It seems thats the way it's done on the Palm. That option of course should be able to be toggled on or off dependent on preferences.

Yet again thanks for a great program.

ProsperoDK/René

Out of all of those things suggested, some of the template variable functionality is possible. I'll add that to the list for the next version.

Auto-checking of imported GPX files I'm not so sure about, because the GPX/LOC import plugin is all that touches those files, it's only used when you manually do an import, and it doesn't store information on imported files.

Out of all of those things suggested, some of the template variable functionality is possible. I'll add that to the list for the next version.

Auto-checking of imported GPX files I'm not so sure about, because the GPX/LOC import plugin is all that touches those files, it's only used when you manually do an import, and it doesn't store information on imported files.

Great, thanks for the fast reply.

The template variable substitution is what I think was the most usefull, the check for update whas more of a "nice to have", you generally know when you have updated your GPX file yourself. ;)

Thinking through the log template variable request some more, it's starting to look like there's some overlap between what's requested and what's already there... particularly the date and time variables.

There are two timestamps already in the database for log purposes, and they are included in the HTML notes report and exported GPX files. Considering that, can you give me an example of where the redundancy would be useful?

Thinking through the log template variable request some more, it's starting to look like there's some overlap between what's requested and what's already there... particularly the date and time variables.

There are two timestamps already in the database for log purposes, and they are included in the HTML notes report and exported GPX files. Considering that, can you give me an example of where the redundancy would be useful?

It might be in the way that I use cachemate. I have only hunted 10 or so caches since I switched to Cachemate from GPXsonar.

When on the hunt for a cache I look at the screen with the description of the cache, then when I have found it (or not ;)) I mark it as such and write my log, mostly just short notes. In most of my online logs I place the date and the timestamp as the first part of my text and then write up my adventure, especially when hunting a FTF its nice to see when the different peoples found it.

I haven't used the other timestamps much, especially the start timestamp, it seems awkward to mark a time when starting the search when arriving at the GZ, since at that time the PDA is in my pocket until I need to decode the hint, look at the spoiler pictures or read the previous logs.

And it wasn't actually until just now that I realised that I could have GSAK prefix the end timestamp in front of the log it imports into the user notes/user log via the exported GPX-file, so that is one request that might not be needed.

ProsperoDK/René

I am currently using version 1.1.1 having switched from GPX Sonar. How do I upgrade to version 1.2 and would I need to re-register the product.

Just uninstall what you have (answering "Yes" when prompted whether or not you're doing an upgrade) and install the new version. The registration (and all other) info is preserved that way.

And it wasn't actually until just now that I realised that I could have GSAK prefix the end timestamp in front of the log it imports into the user notes/user log via the exported GPX-file, so that is one request that might not be needed.

I thought that he might have found some way to use those timestamps. I'll still do the find log counter, then, and drop the date/time variables from that request. If you or anyone else can come up with additional useful variables before the next release, let me know. It's an open-ended thing, so they can always be added later on, but I'd like to start out with more than one ;)

Release - CacheMate 1.2.1 (Pocket PC)

This release adds support for log template variables and GPX 1.1 file export. Support for Geocaching.com's "additional waypoint" feature has been updated to work with or without a waypoint list in the description, based on recent changes on that site.

I have a serial adapter on order for my iPAQ, so hopefully soon I can get started porting the Garmin/Magellan upload plugins to Pocket PC.

I've tried several times to download cachemate with the same result. I get a box that says: C:\Documentsandsettings\Administrator\localSettings\temporaryinternetfiles\content.IE5\GHIJKLMN\cachemate-1.2.1[1].exe is not a valid Win32 application.

Now what do I do? I have windows xp pro on my computer.

thanks for any help,

candy of quietlake

Thanks, that worked. i'm not a big computer genius, can you tell?

The fact that the error message in XP was dumbed down too much from what it was in Windows 2000 doesn't help. Hopefully, the no-PC-required EXE type of installer (aka over-the-air, since it was invented for downloading and installing over a cel connection) will catch on a little more before long, considering it's really a better way of doing things anyway.

If there were a naming convention for the installer's file name that would clue more people in about that, I'd do it, but I don't think there is...

Release - CacheMate 1.2.1 (Pocket PC)

This release adds support for log template variables and GPX 1.1 file export. Support for Geocaching.com's "additional waypoint" feature has been updated to work with or without a waypoint list in the description, based on recent changes on that site.

I have a serial adapter on order for my iPAQ, so hopefully soon I can get started porting the Garmin/Magellan upload plugins to Pocket PC.

As I was the one requesting the log template variables (I later saw another request it on the smittyware forum) I must say thank you for the swift update.

Just testing it after updating the software it seems to work fine, thanks again.

I saw some discussion about long load times when placing both the GPX file and the database on the SD-card, but I think it's bearable when I once a week do a full update with recent logs, if I'm in a hurry I can always export a smaller GPX file from GSAK with just the newest caches and logs. Or split the big database in to smaller areas and update the separately.

Great program

ProsperoDK/René

As I was the one requesting the log template variables (I later saw another request it on the smittyware forum) I must say thank you for the swift update.

It was actually the unannounced change to the additional waypoints feature by TPTB that prompted the quick update. Hopefully they wont break things again in the near future.

PPC2002 Issues

Version 1.2.1 is having problems on 2002 devices for some reason, which continues to confuse me because it works fine on the PPC2002 emulator. I'm trying to get a test device so I can see what's going on with that, but in the meantime PPC2002 users should keep using 1.2.0 if you have it. If you don't have that version and need it, send an email to the Smittyware support address and I'll send it.

Garmin serial transfer

I've finally got what I need to start porting the serial waypoint transfer code to Pocket PC, and over the weekend I cranked out a plugin to do that with Garmin receivers. It does two-way waypoint transfer and location query over RS232* serial connections using Garmin's protocol.

Now to do the same with Magellan...

* Sorry, no USB... even if your Pocket PC is one of the few that has USB host functionality, where are you going to find the drivers? Neither Garmin nor Magellan make Pocket PC USB drivers for their devices, at least not that I've seen.

I saw some discussion about long load times when placing both the GPX file and the database on the SD-card, but I think it's bearable when I once a week do a full update with recent logs, if I'm in a hurry I can always export a smaller GPX file from GSAK with just the newest caches and logs. Or split the big database in to smaller areas and update the separately.

That was an old discussion, anyway... from before I swapped out the database engine and optimized several parts of the related code.

Release - CacheMate 1.2.2 (Pocket PC)

This release adds several small enhancements, including support for GPX <cmt> elements, used by Geocaching.com for description text in additional cache waypoints.

I was given a Compac Ipac Pocket PC and I am not familiar with it. I was able to install Cachemate in the unit but now I don't know how to upload waypoints into Cachemate. I have also downloaded GSAK which I am trying to learn also. I am stuck. Is there instructions on exactly how to down load waypoint to the Pocket PC? If I can figure this out them I'm paperless.

I was given a Compac Ipac Pocket PC and I am not familiar with it. I was able to install Cachemate in the unit but now I don't know how to upload waypoints into Cachemate. I have also downloaded GSAK which I am trying to learn also. I am stuck. Is there instructions on exactly how to down load waypoint to the Pocket PC? If I can figure this out them I'm paperless.

http://www.smittyware.com/ppc/cachemate/faq.php#importing

From the main site:

Release - CacheMate 1.2.4 (Pocket PC)

This is primarily a bug fix release, with a couple of small enhancements thrown in as well. Bugs concerning distance formatting and handling of descriptions when Geocaching.com child waypoints are present were fixed. A filter for bookmarked records was added, as well as a "quick return" link from a child waypoint to its parent.

http://www.smittyware.com/ppc/cachemate/faq.php#importing

If you are using GSAK you can download directly into Cachemate from GSAK. Go to File>Export>Cachemate PDB file. Whatever file you have chosen from your database will now show up in Cachemate after hotsyncing.

do you have plans to support the smart phone pocket pc versions?

You're talking about two mutually exclusive things here... Pocket PC and Smartphone are different flavors of Windows Mobile. Pocket PC (Start menu on upper left) this version works with, while Smartphone (Start menu on lower left) I'm looking into but have no idea on an ETA yet.

If you are using GSAK you can download directly into Cachemate from GSAK. Go to File>Export>Cachemate PDB file. Whatever file you have chosen from your database will now show up in Cachemate after hotsyncing.

For the Palm OS version, yes, but this is the Pocket PC version we're talking about here... it has no idea what a PDB file is or what to do with it. GPX exports from GSAK, however, it can deal with :rolleyes:

I'm trying to download some of the available plugins for CacheMate (Pocket PC version) and am getting errors on the Smittyware.com web site each time. It looks like the redirects for the plugin downloads are broken. Any ETA on a fix?

Now that I know the problem exists (thanks!), it's fixed.

Gotta love web hosting services that make script-breaking configuration changes without telling anyone.

Wow. This was the perfect program for my PalmOS. However, now I also have a smartphone (Motorola Q). I saw your post on the possibility of smartphone edition of the program. I would pay any amount of money to get this program on my phone :ph34r: Is there a newsletter of some kind so I can find out ASAP when you release the final program?

I am using the PPC version of Cachemate. I like it, but can you tell me if I am missing something. With GPS Tuner I can get a compas that tells me which direction the cache is, the distance, and where the sun is in relation to my cache.

In cachemate, the only thing I can figure out is how to get a bearing to the cache, but no distance. Also, would you be able to add the feature to find where the sun should be?

In cachemate, the only thing I can figure out is how to get a bearing to the cache, but no distance.

Pick any of the numeric displays and tap it, to get a menu letting you choose what should be shown there. For future reference, selecting Help from the Start menu works for a lot of programs, including that one.

Also, would you be able to add the feature to find where the sun should be?

Maybe... I'll look into it.