Acceptable Or Unacceptable Idea?

AdmiralJota

There's a project I'm thinking of trying that would involve putting little stickers on the backs of the dog tags of existing Travel Bugs, sort of as a hitchhiker's hitchhiker. The stickers wouldn't go on the bugs themselves (just the metal tags), and they'd be easily removable, so they wouldn't damage the bugs at all. Their only purpose would be to ask people to log a note saying that they'd found a bug with a sticker.

Is this something that would be considered inappropriate tampering/defacing of other people's TB's? Or would it be OK, seeing as they'd be removable and non-destructive?

I don't get it. Whats's the purpose?

Edit: Spelling

You know those fish that suck themsleves to the belly of a shark? They are carried around and then feed off the scraps of the shark's hunting efforts.

'Bout the same.

You're thinking of a Remora.

And yea, it would probably eventally tick someone off so is not a good idea.

You know those fish that suck themsleves to the belly of a shark? They are carried around and then feed off the scraps of the shark's hunting efforts.

Similar to that, yeah, but the analogy I was thinking of was actually more on the micro-organism scale.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If you'd like, I can post a link to the final version of the idea if I can work out a good way to implement it (including not interfering with others' bugs).

By the way, is it possible for other people to post a note (not a find or a discovery, just a note) to my TB's page without the secret tracking number on the tag?

By the way, is it possible for other people to post a note (not a find or a discovery, just a note) to my TB's page without the secret tracking number on the tag?

Yes, thats the only one that can be posted without a number, all the others require the tracking number.

Similar to that, yeah, but the analogy I was thinking of was actually more on the micro-organism scale.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If you'd like, I can post a link to the final version of the idea if I can work out a good way to implement it (including not interfering with others' bugs).

There are quite a few travel bugs out there that the owners actually invite you to add something to the bug. Not long ago I came across a bottlecap collector TB and added a local micro-brew cap to it. I would wait until one of those cross your path and in no way would alter other bugs to fit your desires without the owner's express permission.

One variation of this I've seen is the "parasite" travel bug. Rather than placing a sticker on a TB tag (as the OP suggested), a person would create a new travel bug that was a 'parasite' (remora, fleas, tick, whatever) that could somehow attach to another travel bug - probably using a clip to attach to another travel bug's chain.

The parasite would have its own travel bug tag and, other than being attached with a clip, wouldn't damage or deface the 'host' TB in any way. It would travel with its host to a few caches and then be detached and attached to a new host. On the mission card, the only requirement would be that it never be placed in a cache without also being attached to another travel bug. The parasites mission would be the same as its host's mission. That way the parasite wouldn't be 'highjacking' the host TB in any way.

I've considered making some "fleas" (blank wooden beads, draw on the fleas, string them into a chain of 6 or 7 'fleas') to be a fun parasite TB. People could then post "I found Woof the Wonder Dog TB, and it had FLEAS!!!" 2 TB's for the price of 1! Of course, a FLEAS TB would have a preference to be attached to dog or cat TB's whenever possible!!!

:lol:

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend defacing other people's TB tags. Creating a unique 'parasite' TB that can be attached and detached easily without damaging its 'host' would be OK though, IMHO.

Cheers,

Matt

how about attaching little tags to it like below:

tbidea.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

sorry came out small, actually says on tag:

Congratulations!

You have found a TB that is in a special series! Log your discovery at www.website.com!

# TB123

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by fishingdude720