Logging Your Own Caches

I put a find on one of my caches simply to get it off my UNFOUND list. I was called on it by someone I consider a good caching friend. I told him the reason and he explained how I could get it off of my list--you just hit IGNORE. On GSAK, you can filter, but I think you have to hit IGNORE from geocaching.com So I immediately went and deleted that find. I like to feel that all of my finds are truly finds. Another thing that bothers me are the people who say they found the cache but do not sign the log sheet--not sure how anyone knows they truly found it!!!

try this for example: if you go to http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...=60056&dist=100, you get the list of the closest geocaches in your area. but if you add "&f=1" to your web browser address, that adds the filter to remove your hides and finds. like this: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...56&dist=100&f=1

Thanks will try this. I only have 2 hides, so it doesn't really matter. I always thought it odd they show up on the list in the first place.

I suppose if you are talking about finds related to moving caches or individual team members making a find, I suppose you are correct.

If you are merely arguing with me because you like to follow me around to snipe, 'meh'.

<_< Um, you engaged me first. Who's following and sniping who?

...and no, I was referring to logging finds when you already knew were it was.

<_< Um, you engaged me first.
Dude, I am a married man. I am not interested.
...and no, I was referring to logging finds when you already knew were it was.
None of my posts to this thread suggested that I thought this was OK.

Stop twisting my words. Your juvenile behavior is getting very tedious.

But it sounds like people are just trying to get some kind of credit for hiding the cache. Why shouldn't the hider get a smiley, or some other credit. They probably put more effort into the cache than the finders will.

That's an awesome idea. Giving the owner recongition for his hides. I liked it so much I put together a page. let me know what you think. If everyone thinks its a good idea, I will forward it to TPTB and hopefully they will implement it.

Brian, your sarcastic answer is really not necessary. It's un-becoming of a moderator as well, and borders on personal attack.

If you read my post more carefully, you'll see that I clearly stated that you can find this info by going to the users profile. I already knew that. But thanks for the sarcastic insult anyway.

Why must there alway be such conflict over positive suggestions from the caching community. why the insult? Can't we actually appreciate the input of people who take the time to think carefully about the current state of things and point out possible enhancements?

Or is is possible that the site is perfect and un-improvable already and anyone who suggests otherwise deserves to be insulted by the moderators on an open forum?

Why must there alway be such conflict over positive suggestions from the caching community. why the insult? Can't we actually appreciate the input of people who take the time to think carefully about the current state of things and point out possible enhancements?

Or is is possible that the site is perfect and un-improvable already and anyone who suggests otherwise deserves to be insulted by the moderators on an open forum?

If there are other geocaching sites that have implemented some of your suggestions perhaps we should all go over there. :) I think there are basic differences in philosphy between geocaching sites. Geocaching.com tries to emphasize geocaching as a fun, non-competitive activity. They certainly can't stop individuals from having their own competition with friend (e.g, to see who can get to 1000 first). They allow cache owners to police the logs on thier own cache - as long as there isn't too overt abuse. Some owners will allow any log to stand and others will require some confirmation in addition to signing a log. But on a whole there is a more laid back attitude here. Perhaps this is why you get a negative reaction to the suggestions you are making.

If there are other geocaching sites that have implemented some of your suggestions perhaps we should all go over there. :) I think there are basic differences in philosphy between geocaching sites. Geocaching.com tries to emphasize geocaching as a fun, non-competitive activity. They certainly can't stop individuals from having their own competition with friend (e.g, to see who can get to 1000 first). They allow cache owners to police the logs on thier own cache - as long as there isn't too overt abuse. Some owners will allow any log to stand and others will require some confirmation in addition to signing a log. But on a whole there is a more laid back attitude here. Perhaps this is why you get a negative reaction to the suggestions you are making.

Did you even read the posts? I merely suggested that it would be nice to see the hide count right next to the finds count side by side.

I am dumbfounded once again by the shark-feeding frenzy attitude of people on this site, for anyone who suggests anything.

And frankly I feel that Brian owes me an appology for sarcastically suggesting that I must be a POLI, by going to all the trouble of making a screen capture and drawing a red circle on it just to post it here and dride me. He's a moderator for cryin' out loud. We don't have to agree, but that is a blatant personal attack.

I just was searching around geocaching.com for some caches to find and noticed that both of these teams have a habit of logging their own caches: florida location folks have logged 18 caches that they have placed and 5 others that they are the co-owners of.

Suprisingly the other owner of these 5 caches, atlantis shuttle commander also logs their own caches as finds.

To me this just is not right, But I guess if I place the cache then turn around 3 times and get a bit dizzy, then look for the cache and find it, it could be considered a find----right????

Hows this for tacky, one of the top cachers in the world logged a Find on a cache of mine that they could not find, there is a chance the cache is missing. So what they did was leave a replacement cache in place of mine. I deleted their log. from what I have been told this is starting to be a common practice wth some of the high number hounds.

My nearest unfound cache is one that I helped my daughter hide under her account. So, I put it on my "ignore" list as well as on my watchlist. I get the notifications, which I'm interested in, but not the annoyance of seeing the cache in pocket queries, etc.

Thanks! I've been wondering if it was possible to both "watch" & "ignore" a cache, but hadn't tried it yet. Glad to know they are not mutually exclusive. :lol:

OT: We don't log our own caches, though a couple times sillygirl has hidden one which I have then had to "find" before it was submitted. It actually works well since I get to "test" the coordinates & if I need a hint then we generally include one in the cache description.

jrr