Installing Mapsource Without Cds

I have had Mapsource 4.13 installed on my desktop and Garmin gps for several years. So long I can no longer lay my hands on the cd. Now I would like to install it on a thinkpad I have and try some real time tracking out in the back country.

I cannot seem to move the exe file. Is this the result of cannot use it on two computers??

Anyway to do this? If not I will just pickup some used but original ebay mapsource topo cds.

thanks in advance

wingryder

I cannot seem to move the exe file. Is this the result of cannot use it on two computers??

You will need to be more specific about what it is that exactly doesn't work for you...

If you move the contents of the garmin directory (including the mapsource binaries, dlls and various files, and all the .rgn's for the topo maps), the HKLM/Software/Garmin registry tree, as well as the HKCU/Software/Garmin registry tree, it should work.

You have to distinguish between Mapsource, which is Garmins navigaion progrma for your computer, and your Map software, which may be City Select version something totally different.

You can download the Mapsource software from Garmin.com, it's free (and updated). But to be happy you have to install maps into it. If you don't have your map CD anymore you're probably lost here, I don't know if you can copy maps from one installation to another. Also, if you have CitySelect you need to have installation codes (unlock codes), otherwise you can't install the map on the computer. If you have Metroguide there're no codes and you can pick it up from Ebay or wherever.

Good luck!

Thanks to those trying to help me. I am only interested in the Mapsource Topo maps. This is what I have installed on my desktop and trying to use it on the Thinkpad as well.

The exe file seems to come up empty when I try to copy it from cd to hard drive. Maybe its a size problem and I need to "zip" the entire folder to start with.

thanks again and chime in if you can help

wingryder

Go to the Garmin site from the Thinkpad and download MapSource from there. Its a free download. Go ahead and install the software on the thinkpad. Then grab your Topo CDs. There should be three of them, one of which is marked "installation" (I think it is on the West CD, but I don't recall for sure). Once you get the Topo maps installed, you can then copy the Topo CDs to the hard drive and do a registry edit so that MapSource knows where to look for the data. When you get the software installed, stop back by here and someone will point you to NeoGeo's registry edit post

Go to the Garmin site from the Thinkpad and download MapSource from there. Its a free download. Go ahead and install the software on the thinkpad. Then grab your Topo CDs. There should be three of them, one of which is marked "installation" (I think it is on the West CD, but I don't recall for sure). Once you get the Topo maps installed, you can then copy the Topo CDs to the hard drive and do a registry edit so that MapSource knows where to look for the data. When you get the software installed, stop back by here and someone will point you to NeoGeo's registry edit post

I think the OPs problem is that he wants to put MapSource with the Topo data on a different computer, but doesn't have the CDs. Installing from the Garmin site will give him the Mapsource program, but not the Topo data. If you did a full install of Mapsource Topo, i.e. you copied the data to the hard drive, you may be able to install from the Garmin site and copy the data over, but you'll never get the program to work by copying the directory from one computer to another.

I think the OPs problem is that he wants to put MapSource with the Topo data on a different computer, but doesn't have the CDs. Installing from the Garmin site will give him the Mapsource program, but not the Topo data. If you did a full install of Mapsource Topo, i.e. you copied the data to the hard drive, you may be able to install from the Garmin site and copy the data over, but you'll never get the program to work by copying the directory from one computer to another.

Wingryder,

Just FYI since it appears you did a full install of Topo on your old computer, the after installing Mapsource program as mentioned above, search your hard driver for the "East", "West", "Alaska" and "Hawaii" files. These are the files that have to topo data that you will need.

After locating the lost "dongle" I got the laptop back on the net and downloaded the Mapsource

update (about 19 megs)

When I try to install this I get a error message saying it cannot install because there is not a previous installation of Mapsource on the laptop. (I did put it in the same folder I brought over from the desktop)

I do have all the data files mentioned above so if I can get this to install, I might have the problem whipped.

Am I downloading the wrong file from Garmin? Earlier posts seem to indicate obtaining the basic Mapsource program from their site would not be any problem.

Thanks again

Wingryder

Ok here is a update. I have got it to the point that it will attempt to load. The opening page will flash up and then the error message.

Something about problems with the registry and a request to reinstall from cd.

If I can get past this I think it will work just fine.

I will need your help on this hurdle.

thanks

wingryder

Ok here is a update. I have got it to the point that it will attempt to load. The opening page will flash up and then the error message.

Something about problems with the registry and a request to reinstall from cd.

If I can get past this I think it will work just fine.

I will need your help on this hurdle.

thanks

wingryder

Bump I have been lost in the shuffle. Can someone tell me what changes I need to make to the Windows 98 Registry to make the mapsource.exe file open. It flashes open and then says there is problems with the registry. Remember I can't locate my org. cds.

thanks

wingryder

Make sure you download the patch from the Garmin site.

Somehow the installation of my Mapsource TOPO on my laptop got corrupted and even though I wasn't trying to view the Minnesota part of the US, the program would flash and then close.

I have Win2K on my computers, so I can't help you with the Registry keys . . . <_<

Edited by Miragee
Can someone tell me what changes I need to make to the Windows 98 Registry to make the mapsource.exe file open. It flashes open and then says there is problems with the registry. Remember I can't locate my org. cds.

Use regedit to open the registry. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Garmin > MapSource > Products. Each key number under Products corresponds to a map. Delete all these keys: Mapsource should now open, but with no maps. You can then use a program such as GPS Map Manager or MapDekode to re-install the maps into MapSource.

Can someone tell me what changes I need to make to the Windows 98 Registry to make the mapsource.exe file open. It flashes open and then says there is problems with the registry. Remember I can't locate my org. cds.

Use regedit to open the registry. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > Software > Garmin > MapSource > Products. Each key number under Products corresponds to a map. Delete all these keys: Mapsource should now open, but with no maps. You can then use a program such as GPS Map Manager or MapDekode to re-install the maps into MapSource.

Michael Under hkeylocal machine there is no Garmin folder at all. Under hkey current user

I have a Garmin, Mapsource, Settings, However there is nothing in the left panel under any of these including settings. Remember all I did was copy the files from my Desktop (windows xp) to the laptop (win98). No proper install.

Can you walk me through this?

wingryder

I guess that MapSource won't start if there is no Garmin folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. You'll need to create this registry entry: perhaps you can copy it from the other installation and edit the paths as necessary? If it's any help, here's what the registry entry for Garmin looks like on my computer (Mac running Windows 98 on VirtualPC):

garminreg.gif