Commercial Caches?

I have always wanted to put a cache in a Wal-Mart or some other big building. I've heard that it must be in a non commercial place like a library, but I've heard people say that I could put them in big buildings as long as I don't require entrance fees. I know parking lots are common, but if that's not solicitation, then why can't they step inside? Please clarify this topic for me.

I have always wanted to put a cache in a Wal-Mart or some other big building. I've heard that it must be in a non commercial place like a library, but I've heard people say that I could put them in big buildings as long as I don't require entrance fees. I know parking lots are common, but if that's not solicitation, then why can't they step inside? Please clarify this topic for me.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question, but will try to answer a little bit. From the way I take the guidelines, you can't have a cache where the main purpose is to solicit from the cache finders...like a charity cache; and you can't have a cache the requires people to patronize a certain business. You can have a cache inside something that requires an entrance fee, such as a zoo or a museum (providing you get permission if required, of course), and you can have a cache where the charity is incidental to the cache, for example, having an event cache, and letting people know that if they want to, they can drop off a donation for toys for tots or something like that, as long as it is not the main purpose of the event. If I am wrong on this, or if I did not explain it exactly correct, I hope one of our cache reviewers will get on here and gently correct me and give you the straight information. It is always better to get it from them rather than from "someone who heard it from someone who was told by someone that read the guidelines once." :laughing:

//edited for a spelling error//

Edited by BigHank

Guidelines -

"Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services."

I'm pretty sure that covers inside Wal-Mart.

Guidelines -

"Commercial caches attempt to use the Geocaching.com web site cache reporting tool directly or indirectly (intentionally or non-intentionally) to solicit customers through a Geocaching.com listing. These are NOT permitted. Examples include for-profit locations that require an entrance fee, or locations that sell products or services."

I'm pretty sure that covers inside Wal-Mart.

GREAT!!!!! Nothing I wanted to see less than a dozen more Walmart caches on my first 3 pages of closest unfound. Wouldn't bother me if all commercial property was ruled off limits.