New User Question: 60csx And Pc Connection

Greetings,

I'm new to GPS, but am good at computers and figuring things out, but I'm a bit stumped here. I have a new 60CSx which seems to be working fine. I installed the Garmin Trip and Waypoint manager that came with the unit, and that also seems to be working fine. However, the connection between the GPS and my PC doesn't always work. When I first connect the GPS via USB I can sometimes download immediately. If I leave it connected for a few minutes, then the "Find Device" won't find my device. And after DO download and make changes on the PC, I cannot send it back to the device. My 60CSx has software 2.90 and GPS SW version 2.6 and my Windows Device Manager shows that I have driver 2.1.0.0, 9/23-03, grmsgen.sys and grmnusb.sys.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Greetings,

I'm new to GPS, but am good at computers and figuring things out, but I'm a bit stumped here. I have a new 60CSx which seems to be working fine. I installed the Garmin Trip and Waypoint manager that came with the unit, and that also seems to be working fine. However, the connection between the GPS and my PC doesn't always work. When I first connect the GPS via USB I can sometimes download immediately. If I leave it connected for a few minutes, then the "Find Device" won't find my device. And after DO download and make changes on the PC, I cannot send it back to the device. My 60CSx has software 2.90 and GPS SW version 2.6 and my Windows Device Manager shows that I have driver 2.1.0.0, 9/23-03, grmsgen.sys and grmnusb.sys.

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Try pushing the usb connection on your device until it clicks. You describe what just happened to me on my identical unit I just bought.

Hope it works. My error was "Lost Power Shutting Down"

Ken

Greetings,

Thanks in advance,

Eric

Try pushing the usb connection on your device until it clicks. You describe what just happened to me on my identical unit I just bought.

Hope it works. My error was "Lost Power Shutting Down"

Ken

Well... that's not it - the connection is fine. What seems to work is that if I turn on the software and then turn on device then do the transfer, in that order and without too much time lag. It just seems that I should be able to leave the device on for a while and still maintain the connection. Anyone else find anything similar?

Eric

Are you connecting through a usb hub or directly to a usb input?

I was connecting into my flat screen which is then connected to the 'puter (so would that be considered a hub?). I have since connected directly to the original port on the computer (which is actually a 1.1 USB) and so far MapSource has been able to "see" the GPSr each time and I've been able to upload and download several times. Hopefully that's done it! But isn't that what USB is supposed to be? Able to connect many devices to each other? Sheeeesh... and all my investment...

Thanks for the input. I'm entering some caches, as we're headed up north for a few days of vacation. :drama:

This is a great forum. I've been lurking for a couple of days and picked up some pointers already and hope to learn more, and maybe someday help someone else. Thanks!

Are you connecting through a usb hub or directly to a usb input?

I was connecting into my flat screen which is then connected to the 'puter (so would that be considered a hub?). I have since connected directly to the original port on the computer (which is actually a 1.1 USB) and so far MapSource has been able to "see" the GPSr each time and I've been able to upload and download several times. Hopefully that's done it! But isn't that what USB is supposed to be? Able to connect many devices to each other? Sheeeesh... and all my investment...

Thanks for the input. I'm entering some caches, as we're headed up north for a few days of vacation. :drama:

This is a great forum. I've been lurking for a couple of days and picked up some pointers already and hope to learn more, and maybe someday help someone else. Thanks!

Lots of devices do not like to be connected via a hub. And if you want USB2.0 (which I recommend highly) get yourself a a 2 or 4-Port USB 2.0 PCI card for your computer. They are cheap and you will be amazed at the speed difference.

Lots of devices do not like to be connected via a hub. And if you want USB2.0 (which I recommend highly) get yourself a a 2 or 4-Port USB 2.0 PCI card for your computer. They are cheap and you will be amazed at the speed difference.

Connecting directly to the 1.1 port on my computer did it! I DO have a 4 port USB 2.0 PCI card, and everything else I have works OK with it, but the GPS didn't like it, or the monitor ports. So far I haven't uploaded any maps or anything (on order) so it's quick. But we'll see when the files get bigger... after all: I DON'T HAVE ALL SECOND!

Eric