Best Dual Purpose Gps?

Hi. I don't own a GPS yet although I'm ready, but overwhelmed with information. I'd like to buy one that I could Geocache (haven't yet) and use in my car with voice assist. Is there a GPS that will do both? I've looked at the Nuvi but read somewhere on this forum that it is not great for Geocaching. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stan

I used my Nuvi (with topo maps) to geocache initially. The Nuvi is small and compact enough to do it but does lack some of the features you might want - but then so do all the auto versions I think. As a starting point though it would be ok (even without the topot maps - till you decide whether geocaching is going to be a regular activity.

Later I bought a 60csx and use the same topo maps. I now use my Nuvi to get to the parking location and my 60csx to get from there to the cache. (Pity I can't send the coords from one ubit to thhe other)

Have you tried a GPS with voice command? Some love it, some hate it. I fall into the latter group. I have Delomre Street Atlas on my laptop, and 99% of the time, I have the speakers muted. Turn the voice feature off, and you get annoying beeps at turns, so I just mute the laptop.

If you haven't used one, I'd suggest asking someone you know, or posting in your regional forums and see if there's someone who has one who's willing to take you out on a ride to demo it to help you decide if you really want the voice commands.

A big question is -- do you need the GPSr to do the (voice) navigation itself when in your car or are you open to using a GPSr hooked up to a laptop?

Granted, I haven't seriously looked at the latest crop of 'car auto navigation' systems, but in the past they were always significantly worse than laptop based software solutions. For one, all routing engines will make poor decisions based on assumptions they make and when planning a trip it is usually much nicer to do it on a computer where you can insert vias to tweak the route to go the way you want. And then the laptop will have a better display than one built into the GPSr. On the downside, the laptop is a lot bigger and less convienient to deal with than something that is mounted to your dash.

My personal approach would be to get a handheld GPSr that suits your needs for use while geocaching/hiking/whatever and then use a cable to connect it to a laptop for car navigation. Considering that several software navigation programs are available in the $50-$100 range with the entire US loaded, you'll probably save some money going this route, as the GPSrs with full auto navigation and a nice screen tend to be more expensive. FWIW, I have a Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx for handheld use. I have City Navigator maps loaded on it, but I don't use it for car navigation. I use the maps loaded on it more as an overhead view when doing a hike/bike-ride in-city. For driving, I use DeLorme's Street Atlas USA getting its GPS fix from the Trimble Placer 455DR permanantly mounted in my truck. SA offers voice navigation (and in SA2006 onward, voice recognition as well for fully hands-free usage when driving). DeLorme is only one option; some prefer Microsoft's Streets and Trips, for example.

As to the other person's comment about voice navigation being annoying -- there are times when this is true. But I personally prefer to have the nav system speak instructions to me so I don't have to look at it while driving. (I usually drive by myself, so the laptop is sitting in the passenger side seat. If you have someone you usually drive with to 'copilot' and watch the nav system, then the need for voice navigation isn't as important.)

Two units that are good for both are the Garmin Quest and the Garmin Quest II. Both are great units in the auto with voice prompted autorouting. They also work fine as handhelds for geocaching.

Of course the new units like the Garmin 60C(s)X, 76C(s)X, as well as the Venture CX, Vista CX and Legend CX do autrouting quite well, but don't have voice prompts.

The latter bunch are units that are chiefly designed as handhelds, which also work nicely in the auto. The Quest units are primarily made for the car, but also work great as handhelds.

Hi. I don't own a GPS yet although I'm ready, but overwhelmed with information. I'd like to buy one that I could Geocache (haven't yet) and use in my car with voice assist. Is there a GPS that will do both? I've looked at the Nuvi but read somewhere on this forum that it is not great for Geocaching. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stan

I'd be happy to loan you my voice navigation unit-a try before you buy thing. Now I know she is slightly used, but she is still pretty. And loud; you'll never miss a message. Being an older model, you will need to stay on your toes; often she will tell you to "turn, back there stupid". She comes with a collision avoidance and driving FAQ function. If you drift in the slightest, tailgate, turn to sharp, speed, go too slow or try to do anything but drive, she shrieks and presents you with a visual clue of your error: She grabs the handle above the door, slaps the dash, or stomps on the floor as required. And there is always the hissing and the icy stare that will freeze you in your seat. And did I mention the voice recorder function. Yep, she is a constant joy at family get-togethers; every bump, goof or slip-up will be joyfully recalled in full detail complete with animations at the push of a button.

On the other hand if you just need a good map and a direction to follow, I'd recommend any unit that allows some storage space for those maps and a dash mount of some sorts. I use several different Garmin units but find a retailer and feel-up a couple.

I'd be happy to loan you my voice navigation unit-a try before you buy thing. Now I know she is slightly used, but she is still pretty. And loud; you'll never miss a message. Being an older model, you will need to stay on your toes; often she will tell you to "turn, back there stupid". She comes with a collision avoidance and driving FAQ function. If you drift in the slightest, tailgate, turn to sharp, speed, go too slow or try to do anything but drive, she shrieks and presents you with a visual clue of your error: She grabs the handle above the door, slaps the dash, or stomps on the floor as required. And there is always the hissing and the icy stare that will freeze you in your seat. And did I mention the voice recorder function. Yep, she is a constant joy at family get-togethers; every bump, goof or slip-up will be joyfully recalled in full detail complete with animations at the push of a button.

Good Humor !!!! :D:D:D:D:D

It's true that most car units lack some features that are good for geocaching and vice versa.

If your budget does not allow for a Garmin Quest series (as briansnat said, one of the few that are good for both), you may want to look at a Garmin GPS V. I don't think it has voice prompts, but other than that should be good for both.

I don't know enough about it to recommend it, but you may also want to look into the Whistler WGPX-550. I only note it because Whistler with their first GPS tried to make a bold attempt at a GPS that did both (the Galileo, which I own), though in doing so it unfortunately was lacking in features for both (i.e. great street maps but no autorouting, decent facilities for entering waypoints and routes but stopped counting distance to waypoint after 0.1 miles to go).

The Quest (or Quest 2) is really the only reasonable option. I have a GPS V and I still use and like it. It was king of the hill for a while after it appeared, but the faster processor, usb interface, color display, included Li ion battery, windshield mount, and voice prompts more than justify the price difference. Several new features have appeared in units released since the Quest but unlike those that appeared with the

Quest, 60C, and etrex C series, none have rendered the Quest obsolete. Voice prompts are so useful as to render beep only units substandard. But the Quest is small, light, and easy to use in the hand and on the trail, especially if one adds a small, light, external antenna. With one, you can keep a solid lock in heavy cover with the GPSR in a pocket most of the time.

I have a model quite similar to JFDavis (Orion 6)'s that you are also welcome to borrow. Mine is not quite as loud as his model -- he doesn't shriek. He won't call you names and he's certainly not pretty, but he is good with the sudden intake of breath and the "I would have turned there" comments. Let me know. :drama: