Need Help Choosing Gps 60cx Vs Legend/venture Cx

Currently own:

• GPS Map 276c
  • Garmin GPSMap V
  • Garmin Etrex Venture

About to buy a newer Garmin model for travel, boating, driving and caching.

Considering the 60Cx witht he Sirf III receiver, doesn't need to be on the dash, great reception even indoors.

Or the Etrex Legend Cx, great small size, wear easily on belt like a cell phone with road routing.

I do a lot of travel with my job and it would be great to wander around a new city with a database of POIs and map of streets to know where I am going. Also, the unit has to replace my V for routing around Houston finding addresses. I typically only use the 276c on longer trips, love the screen, hate the lure for thieves.

I am about to place a $700 order for

• GPS Reciever
  • Mapsource City Nav v8
  • 1 Gb Micro SD Card
  • Rec Lakes Central
  • Various RAM parts to match with exisitng

Any opinions on the size of the 60Cx? Is it a bit big on your belt? The Venture wears like a cell phone but reception STINKS. That is my main reason not planning the Legend Cx.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks

Well, I think you've nailed the issue. If they built the Legend Cx with a SiRF III chip, it would be the ultimate GPS, and no one would bother with the 60/76 units anymore. If you spend your time driving on the Katy Freeway or around 610, the Legend will work fine. If you want to get signal in the concrete canyons downtown or go hiking in the Sam Houston National Forest, the Legend may disappoint.

Folks with Legend Cx units claim that they have better reception than the old Legends, or even the Legend Cs. I'm using a 60C, and pretty much have to use a Gilsson external antenna when I hike in the forest with the unit on my belt. On the other hand, I rarely lose signal when in my car with the 60C attached to my RAM windshield mount, even without an external antenna. The 60C, however, has a quad-helix antenna, which the Legend Cx lacks.

Bottom line, I think the Legend would be fine for most uses, unless you frequent a lot of areas that are signal-challenged. It certainly is more portable.

I haven't used Rec Lakes to know what that adds. I use City Select and Topo on my 60C.

A note about the Legend Cx-- a lot of folks are completely happy with them, and if you get one I hope you are too!

But, a number of us that post on this board (at least 10 of us) have discovered an intermittent problem with the accuracy of the Cx, whereby it seems to drift significantly as we approach the geocache. I posted a thread about this, featuring video of the error. When it occurs, it takes me off-course by 30-100 feet (although some Cx users have reported being off by as much as 300 feet!!!). The reason I know I am off course is that my older B&W Legend takes me right to the correct location, where I usually find the cache quickly!!!

So, keep that in mind. Again, it doesn't seem to be all Cx's, and with mine it is not even all the time, but until Garmin figures out why it does this, I would suggest another unit...

Only one note. If you do decide on the Legend Cx, get the Venture Cx instead. Since you are purchasing a new card anyway, there is no point paying extra for the card in the Legend Cx. They are the same units. The Legend Cx just ships with a card, cable and software.

I agree with red90, get the VentureCx. I already own a 60CSx and have multiple cables and transflash cards. No need to pay extra for something you already have. The VentureCx is exactly the same as the LegendCx except it's yellow :drama:

I just bought a VentureCx as a backup gps unit. I have owned an original Legend and LegendC and I can vouch that the new C and Cx units reception are excellent. You will not be disappointed.

The 60CSx is wonderful. If you have it routing "on-road" while driving to the cache and forget to switch to "off road" you can get erratic behaviour during the cache search. This happened to me a couple of days ago, it kept taking be back to the road!

I just tested mine against a known benchmark and got 7 to 12 feet error (without WAAS). The auto-routing is cool and the menus are fairly easy to navigate. The reception is excellent under tree cover.

Leaning strongly toward the 60Cx. Hate the idea of carrying a potato while on foot but I really prefer the better reception.

Besides, me buying it guarantees that Garmin will offer a rebate on the 60Cx th afollowing week and announce a new Sirf III version of the Venture Cx.

Any opinions on the size of the 60Cx? Is it a bit big on your belt?

I'm not crazy about the size. It is a bit large and clunky on my belt and doesn't fit easily in my pocket. After using a Vista for a long time, I really got used to its compact size.

The Venture wears like a cell phone but reception STINKS. That is my main reason not planning the Legend Cx.

Don't confuse the two. The reception on the eTrex C and CX units is vastly improved over the older eTrex units. Also instead of wasting bucks on the Legend CX, get the Venture CX. No sense paying for a memory card that is going to sit in your desk drawer, which will happen if you buy a 1 gig card.

Decision made, Monday I am ordering the 60Cx.

Went to the local store and held both, I like the feel of the 60Cx, size does not feel too big.

Anyone know if the "o" ring on hte battery compartment makes it waterproof?

Thanks for the input.

Went to the local store and held both, I like the feel of the 60Cx, size does not feel too big.

Thanks for the input.

You will enjoy your purchase. The 60 series x or otherwise are waterproof to IPX7 standards.

Thanks for the input.

You will enjoy your purchase. The 60 series x or otherwise are waterproof to IPX7 standards.

Does that mean you can just shake it off and continue using it? I think my 276c and V are similarly waterproof but the manual says to remove the batteries and let it dry out.

Thanks for the input.

Does that mean you can just shake it off and continue using it? I think my 276c and V are similarly waterproof but the manual says to remove the batteries and let it dry out.

http://www.garmin.com/footnotes/ipx.html

Most Garmin® GPS units are waterproof in accordance with IEC 529 IPX7. IEC 529 is a European system of test specification standards for classifying the degrees of protection provided by the enclosures of electrical equipment. An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes. An IPX8 designation is for continuous underwater use.