New To Caching

bearlookin4cache

I am new to this exciting hobby. I've been looking and reviewing the gps units on ebay this morning. I wanted to know how to track down a cache without a unit with just the numbersuntil I purchase one. When I look at a profile it will give u the numbers like the N and the W is that the Long and the Latt? I am new to this. Do u input the numbers into a map onto the computer somewhere? Thanks for all the input and the advice you can give to me. It sounds like a very fun hobby and sport!! Have a safe and fun summer!! Take Care...Jen

Well, it is possible to find caches without the help of a gpsr, however it is generally more difficult. Since you are new to geocaching, as well as orienteering and land navigation, you may want to start with an easy one, say in a park or in an urban area. Trekking through the woods without a gpsr in search of a cache is not recommended unless you are good with a map and a compass.

When you look at the cache description there will be a map on the right hand side. When you click on it, it will come up in mapquest. You can them zoom in on the location. This will give you its location in terms of streets and roads, and maybe even landmarks such as parks and creeks/rivers. I would print out a map to bring with you, as this will get you in the right general area.

Now for the information you were really asking for:

You’ll need a good topo or grid map (which will have lat and long on it) and a compass. You can mark the exact lat and long on the map while at home. Drive to the location and then use the map and compass to get to the exact location. To do this you will need to establish a starting point at a known location on the map and use a compass direction and pacing to get to the cache location.

This is just a general description of what is involved. I’m not that familiar with orienteering, myself. But there are some websites that may help.

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Falls/92...ographic%20Maps

http://www.4orienteering.com/

Depending on where you live, the maps you need may be a little pricey. If you’re just looking for a way to try out geocaching without plopping down the gpsr investment, then see if there is someone in your area who would allow you to tag along for a few cache hunts. If you don’t know anyone personally, then look for your regional forum online and ask around.

I hope this helps. :ph34r:

Hi all, I'm also new to this sport. I have an older etrex which I've been trying to figure out. I read an article in the local paper about geocaching and thought it would be fun to try. I joined this site and am checking out some local caches. They look pretty simple, then I tried to map them on the etrex and found the detail is not that great! :ph34r: I guess I'm going to have to work harder... I love to camp and canoe so this should fit right in with my favorite passtime. I found a lot of caches in my favorite area to camp and I'm looking forward to tracking them down, I think I might have to invest in a better gps, does anybody have an opinion on the Magellan eXplorist models? Thanks for any help or info

Hi all, I'm also new to this sport. I have an older etrex which I've been trying to figure out. I read an article in the local paper about geocaching and thought it would be fun to try. I joined this site and am checking out some local caches. They look pretty simple, then I tried to map them on the etrex and found the detail is not that great! :ph34r: I guess I'm going to have to work harder... I love to camp and canoe so this should fit right in with my favorite passtime. I found a lot of caches in my favorite area to camp and I'm looking forward to tracking them down, I think I might have to invest in a better gps, does anybody have an opinion on the Magellan eXplorist models? Thanks for any help or info

I have both Magellan and Garmin, and have liked both. As I understand it, though, the explorist series uses a unit specific rechargeable battery. This is a big turn-off for me. Although you may save some money in the long run by not buying disposable batteries, it certainly doesn't give you much flexibility. I love being able to grab some spare cheapies out of my bag or at the store if I'm running low on juice. Plus, many models that take AA can take Alkaline, or Ni-Cad or Li-Ion AA rechargeables. I would make sure you consider that, at least.

I am new also, and just got the magellan Explorist 210. Hooks up to computer so I can download cache files. Haven't bought the map package so just using the background map at this point (very high level). It takes 2 AA batteries, so it works well with my large stash of NiMh batteries (my 9yr old has a lot of AA powered toys). Afraid I can't compare it to others, but accuracy has been great imo.

EDIT: also there is currently a $30 rebate on it, so I got it for <$150, which seemed to be a good price

Edited by wzd

I have an older etrex which I've been trying to figure out.... I think I might have to invest in a better gps, does anybody have an opinion on the Magellan eXplorist models?

An etrex unit will get you as close as any other.

A couple of things to check:

Make sure you have your Lat/Long units set to hddd mm.mmm.

And make sure your map datum is set to WGS 84.

When those two are set correctly, and you've entered the cache coordinates correctly, an etrex will get you within 30 feet of the cache.

I bought a Magellan Explorist 500 from eBay and really like it. It's not too

bulky, rugged and best of all it's in full color! :ph34r: I also put in a 1GB SD

card so I have lots of space for maps and caches. I've actually gotten as

close to 10ft of a cache with it, so it's pretty accurate. I comes with USB

2.0 highspeed cable for fast transfers between pc and the device.

I am new to this exciting hobby. I've been looking and reviewing the gps units on ebay this morning. I wanted to know how to track down a cache without a unit with just the numbersuntil I purchase one. When I look at a profile it will give u the numbers like the N and the W is that the Long and the Latt? I am new to this. Do u input the numbers into a map onto the computer somewhere? Thanks for all the input and the advice you can give to me. It sounds like a very fun hobby and sport!! Have a safe and fun summer!! Take Care...Jen

I have found all of mine so far without a unit. I noticed you are a premium member. I use the google/geocaching maps and they have been tremendously helpful in areas I'm familiar with. I use the scale at the bottom of the map to judge the distance from the nearest roads, railways, etc to get usually within 30-40 ft, but sometimes a lot farther. Of the 20 or 25 I have looked for, I have found 16. I'm not marking DNF's yet on ones I think I will be able to get closer to finding with a GPSr, but if I know I'm in the right spot and can't pinpoint it from there I will log a DNF. Most people say they usually get between 10 and 30 ft with the GPS, so I don't think I'm doing too bad.

You can probably use this stratagy to find a few until you decide on a unit. Also look for ones that have a difficulty rating of one and pretty specific clues. It will give you a feel for things.