2gb Microsd Card?

I just bought a garmin gpsmap 76csx and it should be here this friday. I am waiting to buy city navigator north america v8 once its released and i heard that it won't all fit on a 1gb card so i was wondering if there are 2gb cards available that will work on my gps? ive searched amazon and ebay for them but the highest i can find is a 1gb microsd card.

I just bought a garmin gpsmap 76csx and it should be here this friday. I am waiting to buy city navigator north america v8 once its released and i heard that it won't all fit on a 1gb card so i was wondering if there are 2gb cards available that will work on my gps? ive searched amazon and ebay for them but the highest i can find is a 1gb microsd card.

http://dealnews.com/memory/

They don't have it?...................You don't need it. :):rolleyes::rolleyes:

And as far as I know, 2gb cards aren't available yet, so support is kind of a moot point.

al

i am new to this as i am still awaiting my gps. but those of us that are using the gps for both driving and geocaching would it make more sense to put both the topo and city navigation software for a given region on the same card? hence region covered would be smaller but both programs would be there. :huh:

Edited by djpatrol

AFAIK, the problem is not with the memory, but with the number of tiles. It could support 2Gb cards, but not more than 2025 tiles, which make 2Gb useless.

As somebody mentionned before, you better use several 1Gb cards with 2025 tiles on each. You shouldn't have to swap the cards too often unless you're travelling at the speed of light.

EDIT: yes, it makes sense to put both topo and routing maps. I do and I like a lot.

Edited by cron

AFAIK, the problem is not with the memory, but with the number of tiles. It could support 2Gb cards, but not more than 2025 tiles, which make 2Gb useless.

As somebody mentionned before, you better use several 1Gb cards with 2025 tiles on each. You shouldn't have to swap the cards too often unless you're travelling at the speed of light.

EDIT: yes, it makes sense to put both topo and routing maps. I do and I like a lot.

So, you are saying a 2gig cards is overkill? I see the 2gig cards are being sold now: http://dealnews.com/memory/prices/mini-SD/56/2GB.html

Has anyone tried one of these in your 60csx?

A 2GB card would HARDLY be USELESS. If you were using ALL TOPO maps, then yes - a 1GB card would be overkill! But anyone who is just loading all Topo maps on one of these units is missing out on one of the best features - AUTOROUTING! For that feature, you need City Select (or City Navigator).

I currently use City Select version 5 and have selected every map segment available in that product. Only 1,050 map segments are used for 1,384MB (or 1.384GB). On a 2GB card, this would allow the entire US to be loaded, leave lots of available segments for Topo maps. If well managed, you could also get a bunch of custom POIs and do a month's worth of track logging as well!

Granted that City Select 5 is an older product and newer versions contain more data, still it won't make THAT much of a difference. :anicute:

When the 2GB cards come out, I'll probably get one. I'll probably get a 4GB one when THEY come out!

Edited by Neo_Geo

A 2GB card would HARDLY be USELESS. (...)

I currently use City Select version 5 and have selected every map segment available in that product. Only 1,050 map segments are used for 1,384MB (or 1.384GB). On a 2GB card, this would allow the entire US to be loaded, leave lots of available segments for Topo maps. If well managed, you could also get a bunch of custom POIs and do a month's worth of track logging as well!

Well, yes. Your comment is right to the point (I'm a topo user, and just decided to put Metroguide and topo on my receiver). It used to do autorouting with topo (roads only), but it didn't have the addresses.

There's also the tracking log that's interesting.

Ok, I might buy one too!

It may be a problem going past 2GB, if the file system on the SD card is of the wrong type.

It normally need more address lines to handle it, so I would wait to see someone try it and confirm that it works, before I would get a 4MB to use with the 60CSx