Toot Gcb375

Following the discovery of human remains which are thought to be those of a local man who has been missing since February, the police are conducting a forensic search for clues as to cause of death. They have cordoned the Polkemmet Country Park which is the location of the Toot virtual cache.

I've posted a note on the cachepage, but some cachers may have already downloaded the page to PDAs or have made printouts. I've also posted a note on the Scottish Forum, but some cachers from South of the border may not read that site, so I'm putting this warning here on the GC.com website.

Anyone planning a visit to this cache might wish to take into account the Park's temporary (if partial) closure.

Local gossip suggests that the police's preliminary theory as to cause of death does not involve foul play, so the cordon is likely to be lifted quite soon.

While it is very common for caches to be temporarily suspended or rendered inaccessible and that does not normally warrant a mention in dispatches, the particular circumstances of this cache location are fortunately rare.

It is quite unusual for a human body to be found in the immediate vicinity of a cache, especially when the death has occurred in mysterious circumstances which are puzzling the Police and have resulted in a forensic operation by scene of crime officers.

The cache creator/maintainer is now in the loop, but I took the liberty of supplementing an informative note on the cachepage with this thread for the reasons which I gave in the rootpost.

The cache, although immediately adjacent to a motorway, actually involves a considerable detour to get to from the main road and my intention was/is to prevent an avoidable waste of time for anyone trying to access the closed off area around the Horn which is where the body has been found.

The police will be basing their decision about whether/when to reopen the site upon the outcome of a post mortem. It is currently unclear how the young man died and there are some unresolved issues about the circumstances of his late-night disappearance.

Like when a girl was killed in a park in Reading not far from several caches, I think it's appropriate to say 'avoid this cache for a bit' in forums which might be read by potential visitors. Mind, if you find yourself ducking under Police tape to find a cache, you need to rethink your desire for numbers!

I'm with Forester on this one - cheers Chris. There was an incident in our vicinity whereby the murder of a girl and attempted murder of her friend caused the temporary disablement of two caches in the area, and the action was deemed appropriate and carried out by one of our moderators. All in the name of keeping geocaching a responsible pastime I think. Liane :laughing:

Edited to add: Yes SP that's the one .... posted at the same time

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

and if we posted to the forum every time then we would be a wash with information that statistically would be useless to us.

like congratulations on your ..... :):laughing::tired:

or like TB/geocoin missing/released/held on to/not logged..... :lol:;)B)

Seasider

As of lunchtime today the situation is that the post mortem has formally confirmed that the identity of the body is that of the missing man.

The autopsy results are inconclusive as to the cause of death. The police are therefore continuing to preserve the area around the locus (including the virtual cachesite), pending a decision as to the status of their enquiries.

The cordon continues to close off access to the cachesite while it remains unclear whether the locus is or is not a scene of crime.

From local knowledge, I would advise anyone considering doing this cache to hold off for a little while longer.