Grrr. Grrr. (rant Alert)

<rant on>

Please, people. I don't care how much a DNF causes any part of your anatomy to shrivel up. Do NOT log finds on caches which you haven't found, especially when they follow two DNFs and might well lead people to believe that the cache is there after all.

Have a look at the last two or three logs here to see what I mean.

If "robindesbois23" had been a brand new geocacher, that could have been his one and only try at the game.

Regardless of the "is it honest to claim a find if you don't sign the log" aspect, there's also the problem that a "found" log will make a lot of people - who don't always read the logs, especially if, for whatever legitimeate reason you can't write them in the locla language - think the cache is there.

Oh, and the cherry on the cake:

Actually it was a Did Not Find, but claiming the cache as a found as it is unlikely that I will be in the area any time soon to come back again. Pic proves that we made it to the chapel & we also got within metres of the cache, but could not locate before darkness caught up with us.

Yep... the person logging the "find" with "a pic to prove we made it"... didn't even upload the pic!

<rant off>

Edited by sTeamTraen

Of course the owner should have checked.

However, I'm not sure that the reviewer's job involves tracking DNFs, especially when a "find" has been subsequently logged - maybe he noticed the cache with 2 DNFs, but when a "found" turned up I think he's entitled to not have to read the log - which might well be in German or Dutch - to see if it says "I didn't find it but I'm logging a find because I don't care about anybody else".

But now you're distracting me from my rant. :blink:

Fair comment, Nick, but shouldn't the owner of the cache and the local reveiwer have taken some action in the last eight months?

Reviewers aren't "Log police" and we don't get involved in this sort of thing. It's up to owners to police their own caches. In this case I reckon deleting the log would be the right action.

i think that there is only one situation where you CAN log a find for an cache when you dont sign the logbook.

I can remember back in 2003 time, caching around York. I found one cache which had been muggled and everything had been tossed around the place.

I photographed the area. logged the cache as a find and then emailed the owner to tell them about the site. I continued to watch the cache and 3 weeks later the box was replaced and a new one installed.

Bump the rant...

What sad muppetry that is!

You can’t log a find if you don’t find it. It’s different if it’s been muggled and you find the remains but to say “I was vaguely in the area and I could’ve found it if I’d been @r$3d to get out of the car so I’ll log it” is absolute cack. DELETE THE LOG, I shout.

If they didn't find the cache by signing the log book its a DNF - unless they sent proof to the owner of the cache that they found the cache, but coudn't sign the log book for valid reasons. No log book, log book full,

cache muggled - but there, you needed a surgical implement to remove the cache and you didn't have the appropriate implement on you (happened to me once). However the key is proof. The call for a find is up to the owner. In my case I would have logged a DNF, if SP had decided that photographic proof was not good enough.

If this was my cache - it needs a visit, but the logged find would be deleted.

Er, I let some newbie cachers who found the grassy indent where my cache had obviously only just been muggled from, change their DNF into a find.... thought it might encourage them to carry on caching, after all it was about their second ever go, and they'd clearly got to the right place.

Should I be hung, drawn and quartered for encouraging this sort of thing? I suppose had they already logged it as a find and not bothered to let me know it was muggled I might've had reason to be a little bit miffed...

Fair comment, Nick, but shouldn't the owner of the cache and the local reveiwer have taken some action in the last eight months?

Reviewers aren't "Log police" and we don't get involved in this sort of thing. It's up to owners to police their own caches. In this case I reckon deleting the log would be the right action.

Sorry Mr Dorum, for some reason I had it in my head it was temp'd, must've been looking at two cache pages at the same time.

Er, I let some newbie cachers who found the grassy indent where my cache had obviously only just been muggled from, change their DNF into a find.... thought it might encourage them to carry on caching, after all it was about their second ever go, and they'd clearly got to the right place.

Should I be hung, drawn and quartered for encouraging this sort of thing?

Of course not! Not even slapped around a bit. :laughing:

I went for a one-off trip to Oxford a few weeks ago and couldn’t find one of Simply Paul’s caches (MORONIC ATOMIC MINI-MICRO No. 3), despite phoning the guy at ten pm, being told where the cache was and being literally two inches from the container at one point. I still didn’t find it and logged it as such even though I'm not going back in the foreseeable future. This character we’re on about logged it because she “is unlikely [to be] in the area any time soon” but “got within metres of the cache”. Well done to her.

I did the Tavy Challenge recently, it took me two days (I had no map).

All the caches are micros with no pen. On the 1st day I forgot a pen and didn't sign them. :laughing:

However I completed the series and the BONUS, which couldn't be completed without the info from all the series.

Another I did was Glad to be a Goldfish, which I thought had been muggled. I took a photo as proof of our visit. As I intend to visit again next year I logged a DNF.

If I wasn't intending to return and muggling was proved, I would consider a log, with the owners permission.

I'm sorry to say but I was very cruel and deleted a log such as this when a cacher could not find one of mine and who simply logged: 'well, I was in the general area so I'm claiming it as a find'.

I emailed the cacher concerned explaining the GC.com rules and why I deleted his log. I never heard from him back but as far as I know according to the rules a cache is only a find if you sign the log too. I even sign my own log every time I visit or maintain caches or place TB's. Its just courtesy.

Imagine how many caches I could claim by saying 'I was in the general area' :tired::laughing: