Please Explain Palm Software Options

Kc8JHS

I'm getting back into caching after about 2 years out of the sport, and I need to pick up a new GPS, my last set up was a Magellan Companion with a Palm M500 which I loved when using GeoNiche software. Unfortunately I lost the companion and I am looking for a replacement on eBay. I am also looking at software options again. I really liked GeoNiche but I see folks talking about Cachemate and Plucker for 'paperless caching.' I have a few questions from being out caching for 2 years:

What exactly is 'paperless caching'? If its what I think it is, I was enjoying it 2 years ago and didn't realized that it was such a big deal.

I've looked at the cachemate website, and as far as I can tell, it's not a GPS program but rather just a database package setup for geocaching info. Is there something I'm missing here?

I can't find anything on Plucker other than that its an offline webpage and reading app? Is there anyone out there that has used GeoNiche and has compared it to other Palm options such as cachemate? I also use the EasyNiche software on my Mac to make database files to upload to the Palm containing the database files form geocaching.com.

Thanks

-Mikey P

I have used Cachemate on my Palm M500 for more than a year and it works very well. :anibad: I Export my data from GSAK.

Other people recommend Plucker and use the Sunrise desktop with it because the Plucker desktop has problems, apparently.

Since you have a Mac, someone else will have to come along to tell you about the best software for your computer.

I'm getting back into caching after about 2 years out of the sport, and I need to pick up a new GPS, my last set up was a Magellan Companion with a Palm M500 which I loved when using GeoNiche software.

There was a recent major upgrade to GeoNiche.

IMHO I think that most folks are running with Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) for waypoint management and database manipulation and Cachemate for their Palm devices. Here is a good write up on using GSAK and Cachemate.

I use the M515 with cachemate. All I need now is a GPSr and a pen...

Edited by Jhwk

I'm running Cachemate and very happy with it. Seems like there is a plug-in for it that will let your Palm interface with a GPS (with the proper cabling or bluetooth) and give you a display on-screen. Batter life in my Palm won't give me enough display time to realistically use it as an interface with a GPSr, so I just use it for the data.

As I can only load 1000 waypoints in my Garmin eTrex Legend, I've loaded something over 2000 unfound caches in my Palm. If I find myself in any of my pre-loaded areas, I can call up anything local and plug it into my GPSr. You can cet center point through coord's and search by distance from a point.

I'm also using Cache Logbook v1.3 to keep track of found caches.

JohnTee

I've been loving using GeoNiche for my geocache database + navigation. Using its EasyCache software (java, runs on anything), I can export from Geocaching.com, merge into the existing database, mark or unmark caches of interest..

I've even started doing color coding.. Green found, white to find, cyan searched but not found, red needs maint/gone, etc.. As something is found, I uncheck it so it doesn't show on the 'radar'.

Leads me right to the cache.. Then I gotta do that "look at the surroundings" thing, which I keep reminding myself is half the fun. :)

GeoNiche does a lot more than just keeping track of geocaches. It makes the Palm a full-fledged GPSr. Routes. Very customizable. Great software. Great support. And I am not affiliated with the developer in any way.

You have any problems with it crashing? My Treo 650 with GeoNiche is pretty flakey. It'll reset the Treo 2-3 times when I'm doing multiple hunts. I've gotten to where I'll switch waypoints, make a note, maybe change an icon color (to indicate DNF, Want to Visit, Found, etc), then exit. Then load it back up. Seems to keep it more stable by not running and messing with it a lot, plus I don't lose any changes that way.

Oh well.