Garmin Unlock Question

First off this is not a thread to figure out how to hack the program...

Could someone please explain to me how this works. From what I understand you get the disc, install the program on your computer, enter the unlock code and then proceed to upload maps to your Garmin GPSr. What I don't understand is why you can't take that same disc, load it on another computer, enter the same unlock code and load maps onto another GPS unit and so on and so on.

Each receiver has a different electronic serial number embedded where the software can read it. Garmin runs a secret magic translation that generates the unique unlock code for that serial number and the map product you bought.

When your receiver gets the code and map product, it runs the same secret magic translation which has to match for its serial number. If it doesn't match, it won't allow the map.

So if you tried it on a different receiver, it wouldn't match for its serial number.

Edited by GPSlug

Each receiver has a different electronic serial number embedded where the software can read it. Garmin runs a secret magic translation that generates the unique unlock code for that serial number and the map product you bought.

When your receiver gets the code and map product, it runs the same secret magic translation which has to match for its serial number. If it doesn't match, it won't allow the map.

So if you tried it on a different receiver, it wouldn't match for its serial number.

But thats not telling me how it wouldnt work on another computer with the same disc and a different GPS unit.

But thats not telling me how it wouldnt work on another computer with the same disc and a different GPS unit.

The code that you get from Garmin has to be entered into any computer that you're using it on, and the code is specific to the ESN of the GPSr. If you want to use it on a second GPSr, you need a second unlock code that goes with the second GPSr.

On the other hand, you can install the software on any number of computers and use those computers with a single GPSr, which is a plus. I can have MapSource and my maps available on my home computer, laptop, and work computer, and they're all capable of downloading maps to my GPSr using the same unlock code.

Does that make sense?

The code that you get from Garmin has to be entered into any computer that you're using it on, and the code is specific to the ESN of the GPSr. If you want to use it on a second GPSr, you need a second unlock code that goes with the second GPSr.

On the other hand, you can install the software on any number of computers and use those computers with a single GPSr, which is a plus. I can have MapSource and my maps available on my home computer, laptop, and work computer, and they're all capable of downloading maps to my GPSr using the same unlock code.

Does that make sense?

So Garmin would send me this code after I buy the software? Let me put that another way. I buy the software, send Garmin my ESN and they send me a code? Now once I put that code in the program it will only allow that one GPSr to accept maps?

OK I think I may have this figured out. I buy the software, go to Garmins site, enter some code that comes with the GPSr and then Garmin issues me an unlock code to put in the software? This in turn allows the software to upload maps to the GPSr and locks it to that one GPSr?

Is the how it works?

So Garmin would send me this code after I buy the software? Let me put that another way. I buy the software, send Garmin my ESN and they send me a code? Now once I put that code in the program it will only allow that one GPSr to accept maps?

Pretty much. Although the printed S/N and the ESN on the chip are probably not the same, just linked in Garmin's database.

And buying the software actually gives you the right to two unlock codes, in case you get/have another GPSr. But after that you have to buy more codes.

OK, now that I have that figured out let me ask you this. Lets say I have a 60CSx (I wish) and I also have an older GPSr that does not need any kind of unlock code like an old GPSIII. Will the software work on that older GPSr and the newer GPSr at the same time with only the one unlock code? Oh and how much do they charge for extra codes?

On another note I just want to say that this unlock code crap is one of the reasons I bought a Magellan. I don't need any kind of code for Mapsend to work with a number of GPS units.

Edited by Team Dubbin

The code actually comes with the map product that you purchase. It entitles you to unlock to two different GPSrs. Once unlocked to a GPSr, MapSource has a file containing the specific code for that specific GPSr. Nothing prevents you from installing the MapSource product on another computer, entering that same code into MapSource on the second computer and sending maps to your GPSr from that system. As long as you have the assigned code and the installation disks, you can install the product on any of your computers at any location.

It is not the GPSr that requires unlocking - it is the map product. It is limited to two GPSrs. Using the maps on the GPSIII+ WOULD require unlocking the maps to that unit (which would be a waste as that unit only has 1MB of map memory). The GPSIII model has NO map memory - so don't even TRY unlocking to that model...

You are given one customer code which allows for two unlock codes. Each specific unlock code ties that specific product to that specific GPSr.

Edited by Neo_Geo

The GPSIII model has NO map memory - so don't even TRY unlocking to that model...

I was just using that as an example but I did forget to add the plus to it.

I think I have it all figured out now. Thanks for the assistance in making me smarter :rolleyes: Now if I ever have a need for the Garmin software then I will know how it works.

Again, Thanks

OK one more question :rolleyes:

City Navigator North America v7 is a DVD??? What the heck is with that? This means that you HAVE to have a DVD player in your computer in order to use it? I don't know about you but I watch movies on the big screen and not sitting at my desk. So thats like $120 for the software and $50 for a DVD player... This is just getting more and more expensive.

City Navigator North America v7 is a DVD??? What the heck is with that? This means that you HAVE to have a DVD player in your computer in order to use it? I don't know about you but I watch movies on the big screen and not sitting at my desk. So thats like $120 for the software and $50 for a DVD player... This is just getting more and more expensive.

Team Dubbin. . .. Most computer built within the past few years have a DVD-rom drive in them, not necessarily for watching movies but because a single DVD can hold a LOT more information than a CD. You might be surprised to find that your computer does have a DVD drive (but of course it might not if it is older). I say this because my dad did not know he could put a dvd in his 2 year old computer.

Team Dubbin. . .. Most computer built within the past few years have a DVD-rom drive in them, not necessarily for watching movies but because a single DVD can hold a LOT more information than a CD. You might be surprised to find that your computer does have a DVD drive (but of course it might not if it is older). I say this because my dad did not know he could put a dvd in his 2 year old computer.

LOL I built my computer so I think I know whats in it :rolleyes: I do have a DVD drive but it is failing and will not read DVD's. I have only watch one DVD on it the whole time I have had it and that was jsut just to see how it worked. After I found out that it stopped working I never bothered replacing it because I never use it.

Personally, I'd rather have it come on a single DVD than have to swap CDs. I really costs USD$50 for a DVD-ROM drive!? Over here, you can get a DVD burner for about CAD$40 (USD$36), and you can get a DVD-ROM drive for CAD$23 (USD$20).

Edited by jay11

Personally, I'd rather have it come on a single DVD than have to swap CDs. I really costs USD$50 for a DVD-ROM drive!? Over here, you can get a DVD burner for about CAD$40 (USD$36), and you can get a DVD-ROM drive for CAD$23 (USD$20).

Sure I can buy cheap crap like that but I would rather have something that lasts. I spent $30 for the DVD drive that I have now and it is just a generic piece of crap that didn't last 6 months...

Sure I can buy cheap crap like that but I would rather have something that lasts. I spent $30 for the DVD drive that I have now and it is just a generic piece of crap that didn't last 6 months...

Spend $40 and get one that lasts 9 months :rolleyes:

But seriously, if you don't have one, it's time to get one!

Spend $40 and get one that lasts 9 months :anicute:

But seriously, if you don't have one, it's time to get one!

Its only time to get one IF I get a Garmin :rolleyes:

My first question in this thread was just out of curiosity. I have a unlocked version of mapsend us topo if I get desperate.

Check out newegg.com if you need a good cheap dvdrom drive. I justs looked and there are many to choose from for $20, sony, LG, liteon,ect. none of which are all that bad. I bought a samsung DVD burner from them for $40 with software and it has worked great for over a year.

Those prices aren't for generic crap, they're brand name OEM drives made by the same manufacturers that make the expensive drives sold in shiny boxes at expensive retail stores.

Perhaps things are different over there, but here you can buy the same computer components from local computer stores for much cheaper than "big box" retail stores, and you get the same (or sometimes even better) warranty from the manufacturer. Granted, you don't get the same return policy.

I've been building computers for quite a while now, and I've had good experience with optical drives made by Samsung, Pioneer, BenQ, Lite-On, LG among others. The only drives that have failed that I can recall were from AOpen/Acer, so I'd stay away from those.

Anyway, sorry for the off-topic post, but hopefully I can help someone save some money :rolleyes:

Check out newegg.com if you need a good cheap dvdrom drive. I justs looked and there are many to choose from for $20, sony, LG, liteon,ect. none of which are all that bad. I bought a samsung DVD burner from them for $40 with software and it has worked great for over a year.

LOL thats where I got the last one from. It was a LG. BTW I have NO problem spending the money for the best if I have to.