The Geocacher's Cache Hiding Credo!

:D:D:):):D:D:D

I came up with this while responding to a comment on the GPS the Game Messageboard.

GeoCacher's Treasure Hiding Credo

When hiding your cache, remember to keep it
FLAWED
:

Keep it
F
un-filled

L
awfully placed

A
ccessable to all GeoCachers

W
ell hidden from all muggles

E
ntertaining and above all else

D
anger-Free!!!

I hope you all like it and I hope it is worthy of your praise.

Please let me know what you think...

Happy Hide and Seeking,

-Wendigo7

Well, as one of the folks that came up with something similar I can tell you that you're in for a rough row to hoe.

I can see a couple of thing right off the bat that may likely cause some folks pause:

"Accessible to all geocachers?" What about 5/5 being accessible to those with limited mobility? I think I know what you mean, but what about "Accessible to the public," meaning placed where folks have legal access.

"Danger-Free?" Most of us love to push our bounds. How about "Danger. None unseen," or something that doesn't eliminate all danger, but reduces the chance of coming across something that is not obvious.

Sounds good except for the "danger free" and "accessible to all geoachers" parts.

Island caches aren't accessible to non boat owners, SCUBA caches aren't accessible those without SCUBA gear, and climbing caches aren't accessible to those without climbing skills and equipment but all have an important place in our sport and an element of danger.

Hmmm what can we fill the A and D with?

Sounds good except for the "danger free" and "accessible to all geoachers" parts.

Island caches aren't accessible to non boat owners, SCUBA caches aren't accessible those without SCUBA gear, and climbing caches aren't accessible to those without climbing skills and equipment but all have an important place in our sport and an element of danger.

Exactly.

If there’s no danger, what’s the point?

WOW!

I'm suddenly reminded why I generally don't contribute to these forums.

Is everyone this touchy?

When I said Accessible to all GeoCachers, I meant as opposed to all muggles, Accessible meaning you don't have to be physic to find it (do to poor coordinates or bad clues) or Superman to get it. You just have to have a brain between your ears.

And as for Danger-Free. I thought this was primarily a family sport. And I meant Danger-free as in Not in the middle of an alligator farm, or in the middle of on coming traffic, or in the middle of a very narrow and long train tunnel or on the side of a 800 foot cliff in an hawks nest or in the mouth of a gargoyle on the top of a condemed building or wedged into a hornets nest. I've seen these.

Maybe Danger-Free is too strong a phrase for some of you. But this is NOT an Olympic sport nor is it an Extreme sport.

I just thought it was kind of catchy on a t-shirt or button.

"Is your Cache FLAWED?"

"Mine is!"

Is everyone this touchy?

Well, it depends on what you mean by "touchy". If you mean that people read something and then react to it in a strongly opinionated way, then... pretty much.

Here's an example of a recent poster that reacted to someting they'd read, and had something to say that might seem negative to a lot of people:

WOW!

But if you can discuss ideas here without taking things personal, and remind yourself that it's not real life, then you can deal with the "touchy" people and still enjoy the forums.

Wendigo7,

I think you meant well when you kicked off this post, and you get an "A" for effort in my book. Some caches I have hunted as well as placed however, are definitely not accessible by children, the elderly, or the unfit. Simple PAGs and city parks would and do get old for some of us, and sometimes a 10 mile hike in the jungle/swamp, or 12 hours struggling in the Florida scrub in the sun is just what was needed to accelerate the pulse a bit and make the hunt a memorable one.

We all hunt different caches for different reasons, and that's a good thing IMO, as it leads to a near infinite variety of terrain types/difficulties to sample as long as you choose to participate.

Please don't take offense! :anicute: Just my $.02

(edited for grammar)

Edited by Mr. & Mrs. Lighteye

WOW!

Is everyone this touchy?

When I said Accessible to all GeoCachers, I meant as opposed to all muggles, Accessible meaning you don't have to be physic to find it (do to poor coordinates or bad clues) or Superman to get it. You just have to have a brain between your ears.

And as for Danger-Free. I thought this was primarily a family sport. And I meant Danger-free as in Not in the middle of an alligator farm, or in the middle of on coming traffic, or in the middle of a very narrow and long train tunnel or on the side of a 800 foot cliff in an hawks nest or in the mouth of a gargoyle on the top of a condemed building or wedged into a hornets nest. I've seen these.

Maybe Danger-Free is too strong a phrase for some of you. But this is NOT an Olympic sport nor is it an Extreme sport.

I just thought it was kind of catchy on a t-shirt or button.

"Is your Cache FLAWED?"

"Mine is!"

This is getting a bit silly and petty quite fast, and I am starting to smell a troll. Let me be blunt: I have seen no posts in which I would feel were at all "touchy". Rather, people took your original post seriously and they offered you sincere feedback. Particularly, you had some serious logical errors, unrealistic impositions of your own narrow worldview, and conflicts inherent in at least two of the lines in your example, notably, the lines which began with "A" and "D", respectively, and several respondents then kindly offered you sincere and honest feedback on the shortcomings of the extant statements in those lines. Now, you seem to be acting offended at their responses, and intimating that those people or their respones were "touchy". Wow! Troll alert!

Finally, I could take great task with your statement:

but, now that I realize that you are a troll (or perhaps a small child whose parents forgot to proscribe access to these forums for said child), I refuse to do so. I prefer not to bait trolls.

The largest alligator meat processing plant in the south is near me - I'd love to get his permission for a cache there. Especially in one of the big lockers, walk in, start climbing across the gators. Bizarre. Vinny would love it

Always rate terrain and difficulty with care

Dead hamsters make great swag

Always stocked with cute, fluffy hamsters

Devoid of McToys, golf balls and expired coupons

What about golf balls stuffed into hamsters?

Of course, they're not much good for golfing (You can't get much distance on the drive, and they're almost impossible to putt accurately.), but the kids would enjoy bouncing them.

Of course, they're not much good for golfing (You can't get much distance on the drive, and they're almost impossible to putt accurately.), but the kids would enjoy bouncing them.

WOW!

I'm suddenly reminded why I contribute to these forums daily.

Is everyone this funny?

:anicute:

The largest alligator meat processing plant in the south is near me - I'd love to get his permission for a cache there. Especially in one of the big lockers, walk in, start climbing across the gators. Bizarre. Vinny would love it

Always rate terrain and difficulty with care

Attend events only once.

Don’t let your underage daughters fish around in someone’s pocket just to get a smiley.

The largest alligator meat processing plant in the south is near me - I'd love to get his permission for a cache there. Especially in one of the big lockers, walk in, start climbing across the gators. Bizarre. Vinny would love it. . .

I wanna be FTF! May I? I have put aside a bit of funds for airfare to Florida in my desk drawer for the day you unveil this cache! Thanks!

WOW!

I'm suddenly reminded why I contribute to these forums daily.

Is everyone this funny?

:anicute:

Time to bare my soul a bit here....

Does anyone else here have a fetish for taking home the hamsters found in hamstercaches and then putting them in a little cardboard box and torturing them? Please tell me I am not alone! I have never been able to find a Twelve-Step group for people with my affliction! sob! :P

Does anyone else here have a fetish for taking home the hamsters found in hamstercaches and then putting them in a little cardboard box and torturing them? Please tell me I am not alone! I have never been able to find a Twelve-Step group for people with my affliction! sob! :lol:

I don't much like the hamsters, but Darby the Wonder Pup finds them to be great treats.

Does anyone else here have a fetish for taking home the hamsters found in hamstercaches and then putting them in a little cardboard box and torturing them? Please tell me I am not alone! I have never been able to find a Twelve-Step group for people with my affliction! sob! :)

I like to play tennis with them, the look on their wee little faces is priceless.

Does anyone else here have a fetish for taking home the hamsters found in hamstercaches and then putting them in a little cardboard box and torturing them? Please tell me I am not alone! I have never been able to find a Twelve-Step group for people with my affliction! sob! :)

I don't much like the hamsters, but Darby the Wonder Pup finds them to be great treats.

My hens love them as mid-afternoon snacks! :)