Loose Batteries In 60csx

geobc

I just noticed than when using my 60csx in my Jeep while driving off-road, it gets shaken up enough to turn off the unit. I unbent the battery contacts a bit which might've helped but the unit still turned off a couple of times after that. What solutions have others come up with for this problem?

I'm thinking of sticking little bits of rubber bands behind the contacts. Anyone got a better idea?

GeoBC

What kind of batteries are you using? The Energizer 15-minute rechargeable batteries I use fit really tight in my GPSr, but the other night I used some different batteries and noticed they were slightly smaller. They were much easier to put in and take back out.

Lots of users slip a little piece of polystyrene foam (aka Styrofoam) behind the contacts. It is compressable, but keeps the contacts tight. I would hesitate to use rubber bands. They deteriorate pretty badly in hot weather.

My 60Cx has foam behind the contacts from the factory.

My 60Cx has foam behind the contacts from the factory.

Really? Hm, ok, well, I'll give the Styrofoam trick a try. In fact, I'll go raid the lunch room right now.

BTW, I was using 2 different brands of alkalines when this happened.

GeoBC

I had the same problem. As stated above, some batteries are shorter than others. (By as much as .010-.012). Not a bunch, but enough to cause interrmittent contact loss on some units.

I've got one set of batteries that I always use a small piece of 3/16" thick open celled packing foam between the cover and the batteries to hold them snug.

A few folds of kleenex (not too thick) will also work until you find the right foam.