Would This An Okay Cache?

this summer i'm visiting stehekin, wa. and i am going to place a cache along the lakeshore trail, a 17 mile trail that goes along lake chelan, anyways, i wanna do something a bit interesting with this cache, i wanna place a regualr sized cache, but i wanna curl and attach a plastic lifelife snake (that i just bought on eBay) around the cache, in order to deter anyone from coming any closer to the cache if they are unaware passerbys and non-cachers.

im thinking im definately going to give the cache some clever name related to snakes, but i'm not sure if i should incude the fact its being coiled by a fake snake in the cache description (it might ruin the suprise).

also im not sure if the cache would be safe (people realize its fake, and take the snake with them)

what would be your advice on this? how should i present the cache both in the wild and on the net?

thanks

tom

Don't know how far you live, but caches placed while on vacation far from home are usually not allowed. Otherwise, what you suggest is allowed and has been done before (with and without snake reference on cachepage). Go for it.

eta: 309 miles from Bremerton to Stehekin?

Edited by denali7

i've seen this done before, and read posts about it... some cachers enjoy it [like myself] and others get upset and say things like "this teaches bad wilderness habits to new cachers and small children.. yadda yadda"...

my thinking is if your in the woods you should be expecting to see snakes anyway... so one shouldn't really take you by surprise. Most cachers have a good sense of adventure and outdoorsieniss anyway so they should enjoy the little trick.

A simple disclaimer might lead people in the right direction though, like "bring a poking stick, just in case ::wink wink:: " or "this one is hidden texas style"

i say go for it, if they don't have the patience to sit there for 35 seconds and really look at it long enough to realize its not moving and flicking a tounge, well then... who knows...

In the description of the cache I would say the cache has a 'suprize' on it, or something like that.

Also, you say you'll be visiting this place this summer... to me that means you don't live in the area. If this is case you shouldn't place the cache because it will probably be declined for listing because of the 'vacation rule', and probably won't get listed. You would need to arrange for someone local to the cache to maintain it for you to get it listed.

well we visit multiple times yearly...

Stehekin is a fantastic place. We had the pleasure of visiting last summer when we were walking the Pacific Crest Trail. I think it was my favorite town on the entire trail (all the way from Mexico to Canada). I'm jealous that you get to go there multiple times a year. :P

I do agree, though, that if the snake was in sight, it would probably make potential muggles more curious. Maybe it would be better if it was hidden somewhere out of sight of the trail.

well we visit multiple times yearly...

Stehekin is a fantastic place. We had the pleasure of visiting last summer when we were walking the Pacific Crest Trail. I think it was my favorite town on the entire trail (all the way from Mexico to Canada). I'm jealous that you get to go there multiple times a year. :P

I do agree, though, that if the snake was in sight, it would probably make potential muggles more curious. Maybe it would be better if it was hidden somewhere out of sight of the trail.

i know i love it anyways as for the vacation rule i should be getting assistance on the cache from someone so it should be good to go.

There is a cache in my area set back between two large granite boulders.

I stuck my hand into the dark void to grab the container. I was quite surprised to see a rubber snake guarding the opening. It did look real for a second as I was looking for a container and not a snake.

This cache gave me a chuckle after an intial WHOA CRAP! :)

There is VERY LITTLE chance this cache would ever be discovered by a muggle as there is a nasty bit of bushwhacking as you approach the spot.

I don't see a problem with the snake, other than to point out that, if the snake is visible to muggles, your cache will disappear faster than Rosie O'Donnel's diet plan. Contrary to popular belief, most people are not afraid of snakes, and will at the very least, investigate a sighting further. Once they look closer, they'll see your cache. If it's hidden well enough that only a cacher would find it, no problem.

As for the vacation rule, that's a valid concern.

i should be getting assistance on the cache from someone

This won't cut it for most reviewers. You mention you're in the area several times a year. For argument sake, let's call that 4. This tells a reviewer that if there's a problem with your cache, it might take as long as 3 months for you to fix it. Post your situation on your local geocaching forums and ask for volunteers. Resolve this issue before you hide your cache, and provide your reviewer with the geoname of the person who will do your maintanance, and it should fly with no problems.